Is EDDM a good purchase in 2023?

slicker55

I am building a payware-only MSFS sim to fly commercial IFR in Europe.

Over the last few months I have purchased over 30+ airports and I am very pleased with all of them.

I do quite a bit of research, mainly relying on YouTube reviews, before deciding which airports to buy.

EDDM is an example of one that keeps coming under the radar but hasn't made it into my collection yet.

This is mainly due to me being influenced by reservations some highly respected reviewers have expressed about this scenery, albeit, a couple of years ago.

So, still sitting on the fence and asking myself... is EDDM a good purchase in 2023?

If you are flying to Munich, it's a good buy. Own it myself and happy with the scenery. Being limited to only payware-scenery seems a bit semi-retarded though. You may have your reasons, but since you mention it, why?

I mentioned it to exclude any comments relating to freeware.

Also, please think before using derogatory terms like 'retarded' as some might consider it's use disrespectful and, if you do choose to use this term, at least spell it correctly!

2 minutes ago, packman2002 said:

if you can live with ILS not working then EDDM is ok.

@packman2002

Thanks, appreciated... that's the kind of thing reviews have mentioned, something which, I was hoping the devs might have fixed?

So, still a problem them?

Any other issues that you're aware of?

38 minutes ago, slicker55 said:

I mentioned it to exclude any comments relating to freeware.

Also, please think before using derogatory terms like 'retarded' as some might consider it's use disrespectful and, if you do choose to use this term, at least spell it correctly!

Oh, tart, don't know how that turd got in there, corrected. Still don't understand the logic. A lot of great freeware out there without a commercial counterpart. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
32 minutes ago, slicker55 said:

at least spell it correctly!

Not everybody is a native speaker, so be careful ;)

5 minutes ago, slicker55 said:

Any other issues that you're aware of?

Not sure what you call an "issue"?

This ILS thing will be resolved for sure.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, packman2002 said:

if you can live with ILS not working then EDDM is ok.

Is this also a problem if you run Navigraph? Would guess the OP would use Navigraph for his commercial flights.

Btw: I belive the autor of this airport unfortunately past away, IIRC, so if there are some lack of updated ILS, maybe that's why. It's a nice scenery over all however.

3 minutes ago, mopperle said:

Not everybody is a native speaker, so be careful ;)

Not sure what you call an "issue"?

This ILS thing will be resolved for sure.

Thanks, the ILS issue is enough to leave this airport on hold

4 minutes ago, slicker55 said:

Thanks, the ILS issue is enough to leave this airport on hold

So you fly commercial IFR without FMS Navdata? Just very curious.

13 minutes ago, mikkel said:

If you fly a plane that uses Navigraph-data in it's navigation system, then the ILS data provided by the scenery developer won't be affecting you.

interesting... thanks for telling me this ... something new learned today ... the scenery is 'back on the cards'... :)

@Mathijs Kok

Thanks for the link... read with interest...

I will only be using EDDM with Navigraph / Simbrief for IFR but ILS accuracy is a critical pre-requisite. I have been advised that I shouldn't have any issues relating to earlier reports of the ILS not working properly.

Can you confirm before I purchase please?

did some more testing yesterday with simwings EDDM.  

problem is, frequency info for all runways  is empty when airport is loaded, eg in the G3000 with the TBM930. therefore any automatic ILS nav1 frequency selection does not work

i  have to select nav1 ils frequency manually, then ILS works fine.

removing EDDM simwings and all frequency info is available.

kindly put the frequency info into the Simwings EDDM for next update ! many thanks

37 minutes ago, packman2002 said:

problem is, frequency info for all runways  is empty when airport is loaded, eg in the G3000 with the TBM930. therefore any automatic ILS nav1 frequency selection does not work

i  have to select nav1 ils frequency manually, then ILS works fine.

Looking forward to an update. But if you fly any cockpit that use Navigraph data, I don't think this will affect you. On the other hand, the new impressive default aircraft with updated avionics by WT are really impressive, so looking forward to an update.

@Mathijs Kok

There have been some talk and some updates regarding this issue in the last couple of months, regarding different airports. Would be great with an official forum post about the issue and what airports are affected. Personally, I would like to learn to fly with the Garmin suited aircraft properly, and knowing that there might be some issues here and there with the scenery put some unnecessary stress/overhead in these limited hobby sessions.

2 minutes ago, mikkel said:

But if you fly any cockpit that use Navigraph data, I don't think this will affect you. 

Hahahaha, we must have pressed the 'submit' button at the same time... and, oh, you mentioned 'updates'... sorry to learn (from yourself) the developer passed away, my condolences to all concerned, wonder who will attend to updates in their absence?

pmdg 737 have their own nav database in their FMS, so they "should" get the ILS freq. out of their own database.  the A32x Flybywire gets navdata out of the sim so should be affected.

but did not try both. 

32 minutes ago, packman2002 said:

pmdg 737 have their own nav database in their FMS, so they "should" get the ILS freq. out of their own database.  the A32x Flybywire gets navdata out of the sim so should be affected.

but did not try both. 

Thanks... appreciated... actually, just watched a series of ILS landings on YouTube performed in the A32NX by the same contributor using this scenery. He performs 3 out of the 4 approaches without any ILS issues. Unfortunately, he didn't do a video showing 08L but another guy has and, once again, no ILS issue so I think I'm safe to go!