Transponder setting for CRJ-700 at F/O's RTU

Transair27

Hi

Curly one for you.  There are two transponder (XPDR) code settings - one for Captain's RTU and one for F/O's RTU.  When setting the XPDR code, the Captain's side responds with the appropriate frequency and status (STBY/ACTIVE (1)).  The F/O's Code remains at 4711.  

The problem is, when activating the Capt's XPDR by switching from STBY to 1, the F/O's XPDR at 4711 also activates but remains this code.  This means that should ATC (e.g. on VATSIM or similar) nominate 4711 for another aircraft at the same time the CRJ is flying, 4711 is active for two a/c at the same time, and the CRJ is transmitting XPDR code on two different codes.

Could the F/O's XPDR code either be independently selected, or deselected - (i.e. turned off) to avoid this? Or perhaps permanently matched to the code of the Captain's.

thanks

• Upvote 2

• Transair27 changed the title to Transponder setting for CRJ-700 at F/O's RTU
5 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

When you select the operating side, the other side SHOULD slave to the primary side. Both sides should show the same code. Might be a bug

yes...I would have thought so.  The F/O's just doesn't change code but DOES become active

I looked at this about a year ago when I was making my Scripts that tracked this data..  The CRJ does not actually use 2 Transponders in the the sim under the hood.

What it will do is "copy" the code for their LVAR into the Sim Transponder 1 variable and use it.. then when you switch back to the other transponder it plays the shell game and does a copy back again...

If you were sqwaking both codes VATSIM controllers would see it and ask you to stop doing that.  I am pretty sure vPilot also only pays attention to the first Transponder Variable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

If you were sqwaking both codes VATSIM controllers would see it and ask you to stop doing that.  I am pretty sure vPilot also only pays attention to the first Transponder Variable.

I was wondering about that, I never touch the second setting and I've never been called out for squawking two codes.

9 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

I looked at this about a year ago when I was making my Scripts that tracked this data..  The CRJ does not actually use 2 Transponders in the the sim under the hood.

What it will do is "copy" the code for their LVAR into the Sim Transponder 1 variable and use it.. then when you switch back to the other transponder it plays the shell game and does a copy back again...

that's a relief to know. I was thinking about advising Vatsim when CRJs were flying not to assign 4711 at least, but perhaps your comment negates this.  Thanks, I'll just ignore it.