Jump to content

FMS questions


Gregg Seipp
 Share

Recommended Posts

How do you insert a fix into the middle of the flight plan on the LEGS page?  I try to insert one by typing it in and then pressing the LSK key where I want it inserted and it wipes out nearly all of the flight plan before it.  

 

Also, how do you set up a five mile visual final to a runway?  E.g. I've selected a runway and am anticipating vectors for the visual approach.  I'd like to put an extended centerline on that segment and add a restriction of 1500 ft to it.

 

Lastly, what does RWY UPDATE do (LSK 6 has this sometimes on the LEGS page).  I clicked it and after a few seconds it said COMPLETED).  Couldn't find anything in the documentation.

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 3/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Gregg Seipp said:

How do you insert a fix into the middle of the flight plan on the LEGS page?  I try to insert one by typing it in and then pressing the LSK key where I want it inserted and it wipes out nearly all of the flight plan before it.  

 

Could you explain in more detail what you want to achieve? User-defined waypoints are not (yet) implemented in the AS CRJ. Alternatively you can use the FIX page. But this is also very limited in the AS CRJ compared to the real aircraft.

 

 

On 3/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Gregg Seipp said:

Also, how do you set up a five mile visual final to a runway?  E.g. I've selected a runway and am anticipating vectors for the visual approach.  I'd like to put an extended centerline on that segment and add a restriction of 1500 ft to it.

 

This is currently not possible, because the routing would always start at the present position of the aircraft. This functionality has already been requested several times.

 

 

On 3/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Gregg Seipp said:

Lastly, what does RWY UPDATE do (LSK 6 has this sometimes on the LEGS page).

 

The FMS updates to the stored RWY threshold position. This provides greater navigation accuracy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2022 at 10:56 AM, KuntaKinte said:

Could you explain in more detail what you want to achieve?

Really, what I'm trying to do is to fix a STAR where it was imported with wrong altitude restrictions.  It was one of those step-down STARs where it keeps easing you down.  There were two fixes that had my original cruise altitude right in the middle of it.  I thought, maybe, why not just delete them and read them since you can't remove the restriction itself.  Deleting them was easy.  Adding a new fix with the same name wiped out almost everything before it.  Seems like it would just add it where I entered it and leave the rest alone.  

 

One thing I get from VATSIM controllers fairly frequently, to cross a STAR fix at a particular altitude which may or may not be the altitude for a fix.  He wants you to fly the STAR but ignore the altitudes given on the STAR.  In the CJ4, I'd wipe out all the altitude restrictions in the STAR before the fix, change the alt for fix I need to be down to an altitude by and hit VNAV.  In the CRJ, do you just set your decent so that the banana is on the fix and ignore the altitudes restrictions along the way?  That's the best I can come up with.  

 

I've had other issues as well.  Meandering off course so that I have to start flying in HDG mode. (Happened to me on VATSIM the other night).  Nothing I could think of to do would get it to follow the NAV course.

  

All that said, I love the plane.  I love the feel of it, the sounds, the systems.  Pretty amazing and a challenge...except for the issues I'm struggling with on the LEGS page.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know you can change the altitude set for a particular fix by inputting /XXXXX, not sure how you would do above/below (maybe adding A or B if needed), I've done it once or twice.

 

In my experience unless you hit an above/below restriction the advisory VNAV never appears, so if I'm given a certain crossing altitude I'll punch that in using /XXXXX and check the DIR INTC page for the VS needed to meet that, and start descent when I hit my normal 3 degree target.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gregg Seipp said:

Really, what I'm trying to do is to fix a STAR where it was imported with wrong altitude restrictions.  It was one of those step-down STARs where it keeps easing you down.  There were two fixes that had my original cruise altitude right in the middle of it.  I thought, maybe, why not just delete them and read them since you can't remove the restriction itself.  Deleting them was easy.  Adding a new fix with the same name wiped out almost everything before it.  Seems like it would just add it where I entered it and leave the rest alone.  

 

One thing I get from VATSIM controllers fairly frequently, to cross a STAR fix at a particular altitude which may or may not be the altitude for a fix.  He wants you to fly the STAR but ignore the altitudes given on the STAR.  In the CJ4, I'd wipe out all the altitude restrictions in the STAR before the fix, change the alt for fix I need to be down to an altitude by and hit VNAV.  In the CRJ, do you just set your decent so that the banana is on the fix and ignore the altitudes restrictions along the way?  That's the best I can come up with.  

 

I've had other issues as well.  Meandering off course so that I have to start flying in HDG mode. (Happened to me on VATSIM the other night).  Nothing I could think of to do would get it to follow the NAV course.

  

All that said, I love the plane.  I love the feel of it, the sounds, the systems.  Pretty amazing and a challenge...except for the issues I'm struggling with on the LEGS page.

 

 


You were correct in your first post. Type in the FIX name and press the left LSK and it will insert it above. You'll then need to EXEC the modification.

If the altitude is wrong you can fix it by typing in the correct altitude and pressing the right side LSK colocated with it. EG: Hard speed/alt restriction just type "250/17000" or no speed, just "17000". If you dont want to descend via, simply roll in the bottom altitude in the altitude preselect window and arm VNAV. Once a 3.0* VPATH angle has been calculated, it'll start coming down.

The lousy meandering is a known bug. I just fly HDG for a bit and reselect direct to on L2 key via LEGS and arm NAV.

Gregg, feel free to PM me, I can offer some tips and tricks if you'd like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy & Terms of Use