Autopilot Not Working

ScottW

I have just tried my third flight with this plane and crashed because of the autopilot. The AP won't hold the heading or NAV. It suddenly starts to roll, I get the dreaded 'bank angle' warning, and, if I'm not quick enough, the plane goes into a dive and crashes. If I do correct successfully, it wallows all around the heading bug without holding it.

I had a similar issue with the Approach mode on one flight I managed to successfully complete. Again, it was wallowing from side to side and not holding the GS. I had to finally hand-fly it in, and it flew like a dream once I had disengaged AP.

The problem is I can't even take my attention off the attitude indicator to change radio frequencies or anything on the AP because I will suddenly get the "bank angle" warning and I'm into a dive and roll again.

I have read other comments about the AP being an issue and, I think, some mention that it was being worked on.

I would hate to give up on this plane because it has so many possibilities. But, right now, I would have to call it un-flyable.

Scott

Thanks for the quick response. I am still flying with 1.01. I don't appear to have access to the latest version. I purchased the plane through Contrail, re-installed, and it was the same version.

By mis-configuration of controls, do you mean the hardware? Like my yoke? Or do you mean the way I'm setting up the AP? I'm following all the tutorial videos.

Scott

I have installed 1.0.3 and things are working much better. The plane still goes into a 'bank angle' roll occasionally, but not nearly as often as it has.

As another post suggested, it sometimes happens when I switch screens [to bring up the upper panel] or shift over to look at the Bendix. But at least it's flyable.

And it hand-flies flies beautifully.

Thanks.

Scott

I discovered the problem and you were right, Mathijs. It was my yoke. Bad Null Zone. I recalibrated and just completed a perfect flight. The only thing that didn't work was the Approach but I was able to hand-fly it in easily.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Scott

Archived