Level flight @155 KIAS requires nose down attitude.

Moach

I've been noticing this behavior more and more lately, the plane requires a strange nose-down attitude (about 1.5~3 degrees) to hold level flight in most cruise conditions.

With a lightly loaded aircraft (default W&B settings) this is very pronounced.  At airspeeds above 140kts the ADI will show the nose pointing around two degrees below horizon while holding altitude.

This is so at just about any normal cruising altitude (1000ft~FL100), and doesn't seem to vary appreciably with temperature and pressures (observed this same quirk over Alaska as well as the Caribbean)

With a nearly overloaded plane, the nose-down cruise is less marked, but not entirely removed.  There is no safe weight setting at which the nose points above horizon for level flight above 140 knots.

This doesn't seem normal, as I've never seen any civilian plane which cruises with a nose low attitude.  It feels more like a possible bug, so it might need looking into.    

I went over the manuals and dug up the internets trying to learn if this is perhaps a peculiar trait of the DHC6.  Found no mention of a nose-down cruise attitude on the real plane (or in other simulations of it)

One should think something as unusual as this would have been mentioned somewhere if the real plane really did fly like that.

I also don't remember this being a thing with the FSX version of the Aerosoft DHC6 - I usually notice these things, and had it been this way there too, it would've struck me as a memorable quirk.  Still, I do not recall any such oddity back then, so I really don't think it was a fact in the old sim.

Might as well report it as a bug then.  Definitely worth checking out, I think.

Remember, we're all in this together.  For devs and users alike, the common enemy is always The Bug.   Bug Reports are intel, users are the spotters directing developer artillery against entrenched Bug positions.    No excuses or apologies are needed or expected;  The BUGS are the ones to blame, and united we shall defeat them all.

• Developer

Here is a picture of a sideview in level flight. 2000 ft and eco CRZ power 145 IAS with close to MTOW.You see that the upper fuselage line is very much horizontal and the wing has a slight inclination of about 2.5°. You can also see that the wing is relatively thick and generates enough lift with this small AoA. This aircraft is made for good forward visibility in flying and also on approach. You cannot compare this to an airliner which typically cruise at 2-3° nose up as the fuselage would generate additional lift in that AoA.

Please login to display this image.

This is indeed the observed behavior,  but the question remains:  Is this how the real plane flies? 

Can any real-world Twotter pilots confirm this for a fact?  It's just kinda weird, even with the high-lift airfoils and all that. 

But now, is it realistically weird or is it perhaps a bit off in flight tuning? That's what I'm trying to find out. 

This can be easily fixed by a cfg mod, so it's not even a big deal.  Just wanna have the most authentic twotter experience possible.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:31 AM, Moach said:

This is indeed the observed behavior,  but the question remains:  Is this how the real plane flies? 

Can any real-world Twotter pilots confirm this for a fact?  It's just kinda weird, even with the high-lift airfoils and all that. 

But now, is it realistically weird or is it perhaps a bit off in flight tuning? That's what I'm trying to find out. 

This can be easily fixed by a cfg mod, so it's not even a big deal.  Just wanna have the most authentic twotter experience possible.

I took this picture a while back onboard a viking 400 which is essentially the twin otter variant that has glass cockpit.

Also below is what a 1000fpm climb should look like with the speed within 105-110kts ias. Payload of 4 passengers 2 pilots and 80kg of aft cargo with fuel of 1430lbs.

This is cruise level Pitch looks like with a speed of 148-150kts. It is well nose below the horizon slightly should be even more pronounce if its 155kts. Note no flight director or altitude selector as the aircraft was not fitted with any autopilot and is handflown throughout. 

This is exactly what I was looking for - Thank you!

It confirms that albeit unusual, the behavior demonstrated by the AS DHC6 is indeed correct and accurate.  No bug here.

Kudos to the devs for hitting this nail right on the head then!   It's weird, but it's true, so well done!

Archived