#2 Speedbrake has no effect if manually moved (via mouse)

ual763

The other thread was closed.  However, I still see this problem.  I will attach a video to show what is happening.  In the video I show the difference between using the extend/retract spoiler button commands on my throttle vs. what happens when I drag the spoilers with the mouse and/or use the scrollwheel on the spoiler.  There is a clear difference in the drag induced as indicated by the speed trend vector and VSI.  I do see that using the mouse does produce *some* drag, but it is nowhere near the amount that occurs when using the button commands.

Please login to view this video.

The real CRJ flight spoilers are limited to a maximum deflection of about 30 percent of their full travel when used in the air. The only time they deploy to full travel is when the aircraft lands, and they come fully up to assist the the ground spoilers. 

The spoiler lever in the VC is programmed to accurately emulate the aerodynamic effect of the flight spoilers in the real airplane, meaning their deflection is limited even when the lever is fully back. The real CRJ flight spoilers are rather “anemic” . They do help in maintaining a somewhat steeper descent angle (without gaining speed) than would otherwise be possible, but they are not extremely effective “air brakes”.

If you program switches to extend/retract the spoilers fully (through the MSFS control menu),  it overrides the programming in the Aerosoft model and allows the spoilers to come fully up to 100 percent deflection, with an aerodynamic effect to match. In effect you are getting much more drag than the real CRJ flight spoilers could ever produce in flight.

I’m not saying you are “wrong” to use the extra drag that the switch-controlled spoilers will provide - it’s your airplane, so fly it as you like. But, the fact that the spoiler lever (used alone) does not produce as much drag effect as deploying the spoilers with the switch is not a bug. 

3 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

The real CRJ flight spoilers are limited to a maximum deflection of about 30 percent of their full travel when used in the air. The only time they deploy to full travel is when the aircraft lands, and they come fully up to assist the the ground spoilers. 

The spoiler lever in the VC is programmed to accurately emulate the aerodynamic effect of the flight spoilers in the real airplane, meaning their deflection is limited even when the lever is fully back. The real CRJ flight spoilers are rather “anemic” . They do help in maintaining a somewhat steeper descent angle (without gaining speed) than would otherwise be possible, but they are not extremely effective “air brakes”.

If you program switches to extend/retract the spoilers fully, through the MSFS control menu, it overrides the programming in the Aerosoft model and allows the spoilers to come fully up to 100 percent deflection, with an aerodynamic effect to match. In effect you are getting much more drag than the real CRJ flight spoilers could ever produce in flight.

I’m not saying you are “wrong” to use the extra drag that the switch-controlled spoilers will provide - it’s your airplane, so fly it as you like. But, the fact that the spoiler lever (used alone) does not produce as much drag effect as deploying the spoilers with the switch is not a bug. 

Perfect!  That makes sense, and I am completely satisfied with that answer.  So, not a bug, just a limitation with the simulator command system.  Consider this closed now.

Thank you

3 minutes ago, ual763 said:

Perfect!  That makes sense, and I am completely satisfied with that answer.  So, not a bug, just a limitation with the simulator command system.  Consider this closed now.

Thank you

You’re welcome!

Archived