I had a query about the reverse thrust...

Grahame Myers

• Aerosoft
I'd love to see that too. We're kinda in the same boat having issues with the throttle. For me it's a different thing but something that no other plane has on my system. There seems to be something odd with the throttle in the Twotter given the fact that issues occur when no flight control hardware is connected whatsoever. Even with mouse-yoke and keyboard the throttle has that problem. Otherwise its a great addon.

We'll have a look at this, but for now it totally baffles me why this is happening, it's done the same way as the default aircraft and as the SDK explains it should be done. Can somebody confirm this does not happen with TRUE FSX aircraft (not FS2004 models?) Keep in mind those are rare.

Well besides the Twotter I've only a few addon planes, the C-130X, the Level-D 767, the Coolsky Super80 and the Do-27. The Do-27 is no true FSX-addon, but the other three area complete rebuilts with the FSX-SDK and are fully FSX+SP2 and DX10 compliant (like your Aerosoft Navyhawk package) and all of those work perfectly. I also had the Eaglesoft Columbia 400 (had to return it though for a refund) and while I was able to fly it it worked well too beeing a true FSX model. The Twotter is the only addon plane where this is happening. And keep in mind, this is not a controller hardware issue. I unplugged my joystick and tried only the default keyboard and mouse-yoke functionality that FSX provides. And even here this happens.

I appreciate your efforts and would love to see a fix if possible.

I've checked all the turbo-prop aircraft that I have in FSX, and they all work as they should. They are:

Default King Air 350

Default Cessna Caravan

(I certainly hope that these two are FSX compliant :wink: )

Flight1 PC-12 (FSX version)

Flight1 cessna 441

(FS9 version hacked to work in FSX, is claimed to be fully compat. with FSX SP2)

FSD Porter

(FS9 version hacked to work in FSX, some minor problems with FSX SP2)

I can understand that you're having problems tracking this down, if indeed the Twin Otter was coded according to the SDK. It's certainly very strange.

For one thing, in my case anyway, it does actually half-work. I'll try to explain it in more detail.

Here's what happens:

Using the thrust levers, I drag them all the way back into full reverse thrust. The GG and Prop. RPMs go up to 80%. The aircraft doesn't move.

If I then press F2, the GG and Prop. RPMs go up to 100%, and the aircraft starts moving backwards, as it should do.

If I then move the thrust levers forward again, it comes out of reverse thrust and back to idle, again as it should do.

That's a weird one, huh?

Lest anyone think that I'm being unnessasarily picky here, I'd like to say that the Twin Otter is just great, I'm very happy with it.

It's just a shame that the immersion factor is reduced in that I have to use a keyboard command to get full reverse thrust, when the aircraft is otherwise just about perfect.

I hope this detailed description helps to find the problem. :)

Regards

Grahame

Edited twice due to speling mistakes...

• Aerosoft
I've checked all the turbo-prop aircraft that I have in FSX, and they all work as they should. They are:

Default King Air 350

Default Cessna Caravan

(I certainly hope that these two are FSX compliant :wink: )

Flight1 PC-12 (FSX version)

Flight1 cessna 441

(FS9 version hacked to work in FSX, is claimed to be fully compat. with FSX SP2)

FSD Porter

(FS9 version hacked to work in FSX, some minor problems with FSX SP2)

I can understand that you're having problems tracking this down, if indeed the Twin Otter was coded according to the SDK. It's certainly very strange.

For one thing, in my case anyway, it does actually half-work. I'll try to explain it in more detail.

Here's what happens:

Using the thrust levers, I drag them all the way back into full reverse thrust. The GG and Prop. RPMs go up to 80%. The aircraft doesn't move.

If I then press F2, the GG and Prop. RPMs go up to 100%, and the aircraft starts moving backwards, as it should do.

If I then move the thrust levers forward again, it comes out of reverse thrust and back to idle, again as it should do.

That's a weird one, huh?

Lest anyone think that I'm being unnessasarily picky here, I'd like to say that the Twin Otter is just great, I'm very happy with it.

It's just a shame that the immersion factor is reduced in that I have to use a keyboard command to get full reverse thrust, when the aircraft is otherwise just about perfect.

I hope this detailed description helps to find the problem. :)

Regards

Grahame

Edited twice due to speling mistakes...

Don't worry about being picky. I'm here to be picked on, lol.

BUT, as far as my information goes, none of the aircraft you list is really FSX, all updates. I got the weird idea this could be something new to FSX, will try to contact MS about this and at the same time will have the modeler go over that bit of modeling one more time.

Maybe all those throttle issues are related somewhere deep inside?

If you say "updates" about the planes listed, I'm not entirely shure what you mean by it. The Do-27 is an update that has only been made working in some sort of a quick and dirty fix.

The others though are all complete rebuilts like Aerosofts own Seahawk with the FSX-SDK. New Model etc on those. They are not developed from the ground up for FSX in respect to panel etc but the model is brand new. Does that make a difference? I'm not sure if there is a true and new FSX development anywhere at all as you would define it.

• Aerosoft
Maybe all those throttle issues are related somewhere deep inside?

If you say "updates" about the planes listed, I'm not entirely shure what you mean by it. The Do-27 is an update that has only been made working in some sort of a quick and dirty fix.

The others though are all complete rebuilts like Aerosofts own Seahawk with the FSX-SDK. New Model etc on those. They are not developed from the ground up for FSX in respect to panel etc but the model is brand new. Does that make a difference? I'm not sure if there is a true and new FSX development anywhere at all as you would define it.

Well it is a gliding scale, but there are real differences. For example it is impossible to get to a 'full' fsx aircraft when the original is based on Gmax and not an 3dsMax (as far as we know). The animation engine is totally different, there are new maps etc. The Seahawk was redone in graphics so it has the full new bumps and reflection options, the DHC2 Beaver was redone in nearly every aspect. In panels there is not a lot of change, I expect the new animation engine to be involved here.

As far as I know the Twotter is the first turbine prop to be done that way. And as we seen, the standard [F1]-[F4] keys are for sure messing up even the default turbine props....

That's what happened to the likes of the Level-D and C-130 X too, redone based on the new system with new maps etc. They are in that very similar to the Seahawk and Beaver of Aerosoft and work as they should. The are not addons designed from the ground up for FSX but no dirty ports either like the Do-27. The models are all redone in 3dsMax as far as I know. Like Aerosoft has redone the Beaver and the Seahawks, those mentioned are redone.

About the turboprop. As far as I know the Cheyenne X is redone properly too using the new system and does not have that problem as far as I read. And I'm not sure if that is a turboprop related problem. It looks more like a display bug in the model to me. After all the thing itself works, it just not displays correctly. The same could happen in a pison engine model.

F1-F4 is causing the same (no diplay of reverse on thrust levers) on default turboprops too???

The only turboprops I've flown in FSX yet are the C-130X and the Flight1 PC-12 and both worked wonderfully. Both have there roots in FS9 versions though and only had their model completely redone with the new system.

• Aerosoft
That's what happened to the likes of the Level-D and C-130 X too, redone based on the new system with new maps etc. They are in that very similar to the Seahawk and Beaver of Aerosoft and work as they should. The are not addons designed from the ground up for FSX but no dirty ports either like the Do-27. The models are all redone in 3dsMax as far as I know. Like Aerosoft has redone the Beaver and the Seahawks, those mentioned are redone.

About the turboprop. As far as I know the Cheyenne X is redone properly too using the new system and does not have that problem as far as I read. And I'm not sure if that is a turboprop related problem. It looks more like a display bug in the model to me. After all the thing itself works, it just not displays correctly. The same could happen in a pison engine model.

F1-F4 is causing the same (no diplay of reverse on thrust levers) on default turboprops too???

The only turboprops I've flown in FSX yet are the C-130X and the Flight1 PC-12 and both worked wonderfully. Both have there roots in FS9 versions though and only had their model completely redone with the new system.

Just got some indications that their might indeed indeed be a problem with the beta range in FSX, hope to learn more soon. Our model is now tested by some people who know how FSX handles this. As we know we done it as the SDK instructs.... we just have to wait.

I just had a random thought on the subject::

How is the turbo-prop model implemented in FSX? Does FSX have a dedicated turbo-prop model?

What I mean is, up to and including FS9, there wasn't actually a true turbo-prop model, just a badly-hacked version of the jet turbine model.

Which, for instance was the reason for the propellers taking forever to come to a stop on engine shutdown, as it was actually, from a modeling point of view, just a jet turbine with a propeller stuck on the first stage.

Could this have any bearing on anything to do with this problem? This sure is a weird one...

Excuse me if I'm rambling here, you can never be sure at my age :wink:

Regards

Grahame

As far as I know, turboprops are still handled the same way as in Fs9.

It has a dedicated turboprop model , but it is poor.

In the Aerosoft Twin Otter alot has been done to overcome those issues inherent to FSX, but it is probably not possible to get around them 100%.

Some tradeoffs has to be made.

Engine readouts within the normal operating limits are very accurate on the Aerosoft version.

Finn "wothan" Jacobsen

I have this problem too.... I tryed with Force feedback2 Microsoft, and with cyborg saitek too, but it's the same. I had to assign f2 to a button of my joystik, so i press the button and got the reverse throttle..... But it's sad, please fix....:(:(:(:(

• 1 year later...

Hi

This topic is relatively old and I would like to find out if any resolution was found to this problem. I experience the same problem as I recently obtained a throttle quadrant and using FSUIPC for configuration.

One thing I picked up checking around for a problem was that the default planes in FSX works perfectly and engages reverse completely but the DHC does not. In windowed mode with help tips I can see that the throttles only go into reverse until 25% with the quadrant and if you use keyboard it goes until 60%. For some reason it seems that FSX can only engage until 25% and I checked the cfg files of the default planes and the DHC and it is indicated as such the 747 or King Air indicates reverser as -0.25 and the DHC as -0.6. There is most probably a resolution already and if not my 2 cents worth.

• 3 months later...

Merry Christmas... :D

What a bummer!

Yesterday i wrote in the german Forum about the Twotter-Reverse-Problem (Throttlequadrant CH-Products)... maybe there we can find help...!?

To taxi it on the water would be great on the Maldives...! But i need to level both reverser for parking at the seaplane airport in Male!

Will hope someone is able to fix this problem.

• 8 months later...

Merry Christmas... :D

What a bummer!

Yesterday i wrote in the german Forum about the Twotter-Reverse-Problem (Throttlequadrant CH-Products)... maybe there we can find help...!?

To taxi it on the water would be great on the Maldives...! But i need to level both reverser for parking at the seaplane airport in Male!

Will hope someone is able to fix this problem.

Sorry to bump such an old thread - but does this issue still exist? Just picked up the Maldives. Have had the Twin Otter for quite some time - but do not have a throttle quadrant. Planned to pick one up specifically for water ops - but if the Twin Otter can not do reverse with the quadrant, I may hold off.

Is this issue with both the CH and Saitek products?

Guest Hodge001

Hi Mug

I use the Saitek quadrant which has the on the lower end of the throttle travel (or any lever for that matter) a detent that operates one of the switch / button commands, and when programmed either through Saiteks own software or through a licensed version of FSUIPC, you can set it to have a repeat of the F2 (throttle decrease) command, which will give you reverse thrust, it’s not an elegant solution, and you have no fine control but it’s better than nothing, someday when I have a little more time I will have a look further into it as FSUIPC has had more than a few updates since I last tried this issue, but for the present this works OK.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi Mug

I use the Saitek quadrant which has the on the lower end of the throttle travel (or any lever for that matter) a detent that operates one of the switch / button commands, and when programmed either through Saiteks own software or through a licensed version of FSUIPC, you can set it to have a repeat of the F2 (throttle decrease) command, which will give you reverse thrust, it’s not an elegant solution, and you have no fine control but it’s better than nothing, someday when I have a little more time I will have a look further into it as FSUIPC has had more than a few updates since I last tried this issue, but for the present this works OK.

Jim Hodkinson

Thanks Jim & Shaun...

I'm leaning towards picking up the Saitek one up and play around with it as well. Do you know if mapping below the detent to a switch/button command is unique to the Saitek or can it be found on the CH quadrant as well?) Have a licenced copy of FSUIPC, so will report back if I find anything once I make a purchase.

With your workaround - do you have the throttle decrease mapped to sepearte levers for twin engine ops? Even if is not elegant - it may be a way to taxi the t-otter on water. The

Guest Hodge001

Hi Mug

Yes I do have separate levers for the throttles as I invested in the add-on quadrant for the Saitek yoke and throttle set-up, mainly for things like the twins form the Twin Otter to the PBY (especially for water operations, which are tricky as we both know) and the larger birds like the PMDG 74X, I do though almost exclusively use a registered version of FSUIPC for all my axis and button settings, as I find it a lot more versatile, not to mention extremely handy, but the Saitek programming software does certainly allow you to map almost any key press or combination of key presses with or without a repeat function to any of the buttons, so I would expect that most programming software would do much the same thing, but as I stated above I do use FSUIPC and not the Saitek software.

As for the CH range of products, as I have never used them I can not really give an opinion, but I would assume, dangerous I know, but I would assume that they are very similar when it comes to the basics of mapping the various buttons, so if the CH quadrant has a button at the lower end of the throttle axis travel, then you should be able to be map it to the F2 function, but you really need a CH users input on that one.

Also I do vaguely remember trying to map the full range of movement to the quadrant levers (again with FSUIPC), and although I seem to remember that I managed to get the full range of movement on the levers, it was difficult to judge the ground idle position, I could of course marked the quadrant, but that seemed a little excessive and not much use for any other aircraft.

I hope it helps.

Jim Hodkinson