L/DEV and not engaging DES mode

Romano Lara

To recreate. KJFK - KBOS.

Route: JFK5 MERIT ROBUC3.

I initially programmed MERIT.ROBUC3 ILS 27. INIT page FL320, ATC thence assigned FL230 as final while climbing, I didn't change this in the INIT anymore.

Then upon reaching ZBW, I was assigned MERIT.ROBUC3 ILS 22L.

As you know there are different transitions and simply changing the landing runway in the MCDU won't work.

So while tracking dct to MERIT, I engaged HDG mode, enter LAT REV from MERIT, enter new DEST (to clear all waypoints) - selected KBOS again, and then proceeded to program the MERIT.ROBUC3 ILS 22L, then selected dir-to MERIT again.

ATC cleared me direct to PROVI and to descend via the STAR. But no matter what I do, DES won't engage. Only OP DES. So I ended up using V/S.

To better illustrate, please see the video below.

(Sorry for the long post)

A couple of procedural errors here in your procedures:
First of all: ALWAYS update the cruise altitude if ATC changes it!

Secondly: Selectnig new destination is totally wrong here. Simply select the new arrival, that's all you need to do.

13 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

A couple of procedural errors here in your procedures:
First of all: ALWAYS update the cruise altitude if ATC changes it!

Secondly: Selectnig new destination is totally wrong here. Simply select the new arrival, that's all you need to do.

Noted on the change of CRZ ALT. 

But selecting a new arrival just doesn't work.

If you watch the video, I tried that method first. It was insufficient. Since I wasn't changing the STAR, I was only changing the arrival procedure (runway // from ILS 27 to ILS 22L). As you know there are different runway transitions for the KBOS' ROBUC3. Simply changing from ILS 27 to ILS 22L, the ROBUC3 waypoints doesn't change, and I still end up at the last waypoint for ILS 27 which is HOKDU. Instead of going from KLEBB..ETHYN..PTRIK..TAALE.

The video is not loading here, I only get a black screen.

However once you select the new runway you should get back to the VIAS page as well. Have you tried the arrow buttons?

Just an update on this.

Earlier on a different flight, I had to select new DEST due to diversion. Same problem, none of the managed mode works.

1. Entered new DEST

2. Programmed IAP

3. Changed final CRZ ALT thru PROG page

4. Came time to descend, only OP DES or V/S works. No TOD marker either.

Archived