Crash to Desktop ( Descent and approach )

Hello,

having gathered enough "numbers" about this issue and lacking finding answers over the forum, now I need to ask:

I own all airbusPro models, installed over a fresh p3d4.5 / win10 /i9-9900k

I have flown dozens of flights since the release, over all FTX territories (with Active Sky, ProATCx, Skyforce Environment, Ezdok, all on)

it's approximately fair to say that, while on descent or on approach, the sim crashed to desktop 15-20% of times, to say the least (what puzzled me was a crash even happening @25000, in the middle of a clear sky australian desert - 100 miles out of Broome) ... fps was always 30+

a few times, flying the same flight again, the crash would not happen

trying to replicatethe issue  with the cousing aircraft (PMDG 737 and 777, FeelThere Embraer), never a crash happened

so, please, I ask for suggestions where to look for, as I am out of ideas

thanks

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Tozzifan,

Sounds very strange it happens every now and then on that route. Does it happen on other routes or just on that one with about 20% chance of it crashing?

What is the crash report given by the event viewer. Any chance you could enable logging through the Airbus configurator and once the crash happens give us a report including the crash report on event viewer (if there is one) and zipping the Data folder with all the logs enabled for us to try have a look what could be causing this.

I am sorry for my english: the issue appeared everywhere (Europe, Americas, Australia....); I was mentioning a particular route, because I thought to be a sample devoid of (weather, scenery complexity, AI) intereferences

(time of crash) the event viewer says:

Prepar3D.exe
      5cd47aad
      KERNELBASE.dll
      69a188f0
      c0020001
      1c8c
      01d533f8bfa40815
      Q:\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
      e4f64c89-60e0-4ed7-8c8b-f3ff632819e3

SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe
      5c100d47
      SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe
      5c100d47
      c0000005
      0007904a
      01d533f8e21bea91
      C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe
      C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe

e57aa1a7-5d3f-4d87-a566-b46c4d715382

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.

What software do you use for AI Aircraft traffic control (other than ProATC) and which AI Aircraft models are you using?  There are some models that will cause a CTD, and since the models have to be called (the AI Aircraft has to appear within a certain range) if there is a errant model and the aircraft is only called so often, one would have the appearance of a random CTD.  Though I don't own it, and it's been a little while, I've seen reports of MyTraffic AI Aircraft Models causing CTDs. For more information on MyTraffic related CTDs see the thread HERE, while noting that sometimes a MyTraffic CTD calls out the NTDLL.dll and sometimes it calls out KERNELBASE.dll.

Since the CTDs you're experiencing seem to most often be around airports, I'm leaning towards an AI Aircraft model causing them.

The other thing which has caused a lot of seemingly random CTDs is EZDoc, even with the patches/updates.  Some reported CTDs of this nature happen frequently and others are somewhat random.

The good news is that I make quite a few Airbus Pro flights each week, usually to different airports (all payware airports) without experiencing any CTDs.  I use the FLAI AI Aircraft models and I fly on VATSIM or I use Real Traffic to control AI Aircraft, thus I don't use any software to control AI Aircraft.

Let us know what you're using for AI Aircraft Models and what version of the software you have, and we'll have some advice for you.

Best wishes!

Dave, thanks for the hints

first off, I don't fly online; the airports I fly off/to are all payware, from all major developers

Ezdok is on its last update, altough I am aware of some glitches happening, not "deadly", yet (this before the full P3d reinstall) sometimes I had to restart it in-game

the AI traffic, is UTLive 1.2, with 2019 schedule and cargo traffic addon (plus a few FAIB aircrafts recently added for Canaries traffic, although my issue started before this latest add-on)

21 hours ago, Tozzifan said:

Dave, thanks for the hints

first off, I don't fly online; the airports I fly off/to are all payware, from all major developers

Ezdok is on its last update, altough I am aware of some glitches happening, not "deadly", yet (this before the full P3d reinstall) sometimes I had to restart it in-game

the AI traffic, is UTLive 1.2, with 2019 schedule and cargo traffic addon (plus a few FAIB aircrafts recently added for Canaries traffic, although my issue started before this latest add-on)

Thanks for the information.

Below are a few more things to look at to help narrow this down. I'm pretty confident that it's not the Airbus Pro software causing this as I probably have 8 times the number of flights from/to airports all over North America and Europe in the aircraft, plus none of our thousands of Airbus Pro customers have not reported what you're experiencing.  Don't worry though, we're happy to help you narrow this down.

1. Would you please download and run (installation is not required) AppCrashView, which will immediately list all your CTDs for you.  Please double click on each error in the top AppCrashView window, which will open a pop up window listing the information that is necessary to help you track this down. The most important line/entry is the Fault Module. By double clicking on each P3D crash report, take a look at the Faulty Module listed and let us know if there are any crashes that called out a module other than KERNELBASE.dll.

2. It could be that your graphics drivers have become a little messed up, even if it's the latest driver. In order to ensure this isn't a graphics driver issue and provide us with a good baseline, I recommend you use DDU (highly trusted freeware) to wipe your graphics driver, and then install the latest drivers for your card.  I would download the standalone driver installer for your card before you wipe your existing drivers (it's just easier this way, but it's not necessary).

3. This could easily be a heat related issue. During descent, P3D will start loading graphics which are not loaded when the aircraft is up at cruise altitude.  Even more graphics are loaded when the aircraft descends below 18,001ft, and then even more graphics are loaded when the aircraft is 18nm from an airport and still more graphics as the aircraft gets closer and closer to an airport.  It does this for all airports (and cities as well), so if there are other airports/cities within 18nm of your flight path and the airport you're flying into then P3D will load all those graphics as well. The additional graphics causes your system to work harder to render them, which results in additional heat inside motherboard components, the processor itself, and the components of any cards (like the graphics card). In fact, the only time P3D will put a higher demand on a computer is when the aircraft is on approach during Dawn or Dusk because to render dawn/dusk textures P3D loads both Day and Night Textures and merges them. Regardless, heat is the enemy of computers and can use bits to get dropped, which could result in a CTD.

4. To monitor the heat in your case and certain components, I recommend a nice little freeware tool called HWMonitor (Hardware Monitor).  Please monitor and report back on what your Motherboard, CPU, and GPU temperatures are just before takeoff, while at a normal cruise altitude, on descent above 19,000ft, at 16,000ft, below 10,00ft, and 17nm from the arrival airport and then 1nm from the arrival airport, and after you have the aircraft stopped (engines can be running), wait for 1 minutes and then read the Motherboard, CPU, and GPU temps. The best thing to do is take screen shots of HWMonitor at the times/events listed above.

5. If you have any non-native P3Dv4 scenery or AI Aircraft installed (including freeware scenery/aircraft)?  If so, you can try disabling this scenery and see if the error clears up. Regarding UTLive (I used to run this, but it had a lot of issues with non-P3Dv4 liveries so I went with FLAI instead. Since you fly offline, you're AI Aircraft must have traffic files in order to be seen and move around so FLAI by itself wouldn't work for you).  I'm not up to speed on UTL since I stopped using it, but many people have reported UTL related CTDs caused by UTL containing bad or old (FS9) models and by having bad entries in the AI Aircraft aircraft.cfg files. Just one such confirmed  example is an error in aircraft.cfg file where tail number was pasted in parking code after the actual airline code with a space (that was enough to cause a CTD). There is a long story about UTL development before and after release that I won't rely here, but it resulted in many problems both with the release version and post-release updates/patches.

6. If you're running with any CPU or GPU overclock, this most certainly can cause seemingly random CTDs (these are usually internal timing and/or heat related issues).  This can also be caused when you're processor is in Turbo mode.

7. At which airports are you seeing a CTD at? 

8. Have you flown another payware aircraft into the same airports that you're having a CTD at?  If you have, and you've not seen a CTD, then that wouldn't mean it's the Airbus.

9. Have you suffered this CTD while flying into a default airport?  If you are not sure, would you kindly test?

The above is a lot of things to look at, but running down these types of errors is often a lot of work. Given that we like to fly and not spend time troubleshooting, we are often tempted to fail to fully complete one or more items on a troubleshooting list. Try not to give in to temptation to fly, and instead be sure you look at everything on list above. I know it's a pain!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

2 hours ago, Tozzifan said:

thanks a lot for this "deluge" of hints, I'll be back as soon as I gather useful informations for this thread

If you'd prefer, I could always give them to you one at a time!

:D ............ no, no ! better all options at once

........ I am already underway with Nvidia drivers changes and monitoring .........

hello,

2 I've tried the DDU way of reinstalling (latest) Nvidia drivers: five flights YPPH-YBRM, back and forth, without any issue, even if raising autogen settings to the max

3/4 heat has never showed at high values, either on CPU or CPU, as well as component effort percentage

6 no overlock, never

7 ctds approaching different payware airports, yet only on payware CYVR, with every aircraft I tried (in the past), p3d crashed (previous system)

8 yes (all PMDG airliners), no crash ever happened with them after I upgraded my system, and only a few before my hardware upgrade

9 no crash with the Bus (after driver change), trying stock airports

so, in the end, apparently having solved the problem, this last question comes to me: is there a possibility that something OUT of P3d might interfere with Simconnect or other "routines" used by p3d/Airbus?

Archived