P3D v4 backwards compatibility

flemon

Hi,

I'm a flight simmer still stuck on v3 on P3D and wishing to remain on P3D v3 for a while until I can get a better PC to run the more graphically demanding v4 and other intensive addons like the FSLabs A320. My v3 at the moment is trouble free and I'm happily flying round Europe in the Aerosoft Airbus with many sceneries and addons like ORBX Global and Europe and AS Heathrow, etc.

But now that v4 has been released, I've noticed that many developers like Aerosoft have been releasing old sceneries that only worked in FSX and FS9 that now work in P3D version 4 only. Whilst I understand that v4 is now the go-to addon for flight sim (apart from XP11) due to its 64-bit structure, I can't help feeling that v3 has been left out in the middle. Lots of the new 'professional' sceneries being released are of many good airports that I would've liked to have purchased if it wasn't for their exclusive FSX/FS9 compatibility.

So what I'm asking is: can I use v4 sceneries in v3?

I've seen that many new sceneries have been optimised for v4's dynamic lighting but surely this means they still include the general texture structure and files that v3 uses as well? If I bought Aerosoft's Friedrichshafen 'Professional,' would it work in v3? And I don't mean for it to work absolutely perfectly (I'm fine if there's a few missing textures etc.) but for it to work without crashing my sim or anything severe like that?

Thanks in advance for the replies. I know it sounds picky about v3 being left out but I just feel like everyone's moved on to the v4 market now and those unable to run v4 as well have been left behind.

Cheers

• Developer
17 minutes ago, flemon said:

So what I'm asking is: can I use v4 sceneries in v3?

Simple answer: No

The MDL/BGL Code generated with the SDK of V4 is not backward compatible to older P3D Versions or other FSX Based Versions.

And the Professional Scenies are optimized for the new Engine and full compiled with the new P3D V4 SDK and so no chance to get it into older Version, they are not designed for.

Aircraft, which use dlls in the code are also not able to be used in the old P3D 32bit plattforms, as long as there is no different specific P3D V3 Version available.

• Aerosoft

If you disable Dynamic Lights we feel that P3d V4 is faster than V3 was. In fact I am 100% sure it is faster.  Only if you have a 32 bit OS or less than 8Gb of internal memory does P3d V3 make really sense. 

But P3d V3 is going into history as the sim that died fastest. It's FSX (SP2 or Steam) and P3D v4 these days.

Archived