Tracks and Step Climb

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi,

I prepared a flight plan on a NAT and wanted to use optimum flight level. But the OFP proposed two step climbs FL380 to FL390 as well as from FL390 to FL400 after OCEANIC ENTRY. I think this is not correct because on tracks step climbs are not allowed. 

Am I wrong, is this a bug or do I have make certain settings regarding FL when preparing the OFP? Currently after getting such a plan I prepare another OFP - in this case setting a max. FL380. 

Rolf 

DLH319 EIDW-CYQX (15 Oct 2016) #1.pdf

Hi Rolf,

what makes you believe that step climbs are not allowed on tracks?

Sure they are, chances are just that ATC won't approve you the climbs due to traffic.

From a legal point of view there's nothing wrong with Steps on a NAT though.

If you don't wish to step climb in the NAT then re-plan capping the FL expected at NAT entry and setting Optimum altitude at the NAT exit waypoint, then you'll get the step leaving Oceanic airspace.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi,

if I look into the old thread on the same subject 

you will see that there is stated something different. OK there are maybe no legal restriction but in "real life" it seems to be different. This means I have to do two plannings: First to plan with OPT FL to see which will be the max. FL before Oceanic Entry and then use / set this ALT as maximum FL in a new planning?

Rolf

From the official NAT Document 007 :

Provision of Step-Climbs
8.2.14 Tactical ATS Surveillance control and tactical procedural control are exercised in some areas of the NAT HLA airspace. However, oceanic clearances for most NAT flights are of a strategic nature, whereby flights are allocated a conflict-free route and profile from coast-out to landfall. Although such strategic clearances normally specify a single flight level for the entire crossing, there is often scope for en-route step-climb re-clearances as fuel burn-off makes higher levels more optimal. Controllers will accommodate requests for step-climbs whenever possible. When so re-cleared, pilots should initiate the climb without delay (unless their discretion was invited or unless a conditional clearance was issued) and those aircraft not using CPDLC/ADS-C should always report to ATC immediately upon leaving the old and on reaching the new cruising levels.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi all,

thanks for all your input / information. Now the subject is clear to me.

Regards,

Rolf

Archived