5.17 MCDU PERF APPR PAGE

mikeglaz

I'm following the Airbus Step by Step guide flying from Innsbruck to Nice.  I'm at cruise altitude.  The next step in the manual says "Before starting the Descent Preparation CL and before initiating Descent the MCDU PERF APPR page should be checked respectively missing data added."  Where do I find QNH, TEMP, MAG WIND, BARO?

All the above except for the Radio will depend on what weather you're using.

QNH is the local atmospheric pressure. In Europe it is measure in hecto-pascals (hPa) while in the US it's measured in inches of mercury (InHg).

Temp is the the current air temperature at your destination airport.

MAG WIND is a format which shows both the direction the wind is blowing from and the actual windspeed at your destination airport. For example, lets say you had a 7 knot wind blowing from a heading of 280 degrees, you would enter it as "280/7"

The value for RADIO is to do with your decision height. Usually setting it to 200 (feet) is a probably a good estimate, but it differs from approach to approach. If you can get the proper approach chart for your approach, it will tell you what the minimum descent altitude (MDA) is. At this altitude, you will hear a callout "minimums" meaning if you cannot see the runway (or the runway lights) you must abort the landing and follow the missed approach procedure. The radio setting is the height above the runway. You can either choose to enter it, OR you can set the BARO MDA which is the same altitude, only taken from above sea level. In other words the BARO value will always be larger than the RADIO value (unless you're flying into an airport such as Schiphol Amsterdam where the airport elevation is actually below sea level.

The fact that you're doing the tutorial flight, I wouldn't be overly concerned about entering incorrect values. 200 Radio is a good estimate, and the other values will have minimum affect on your landing performance. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Do you also have these pics in your step by step tutorial? 

Please login to display this image.

The red boxes indicate what you should enter.

Good luck and safe landings!

Archived