1 Engine out, A320 CFM56 cannot climb

Harry46

I may be missing something important, hence my post here:

I played with one engine out procedures after takeoff from LOWW with different weights, and as much as I try to maintain airspeed, I fail. I rotate at around 160kts, which is easily V2, flaps 1, positive rate, gear up, climb for about 5 seconds and then switch the left engine off. In response to that I immediately pitch down enough to try to maintain at least level flight and still loose airspeed continuously until I stall (not much room for nose down acceleration here). Engine stays in TOGA all the time.

What could be the reason? 

cheers,

Harry

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Harry,

the AS airbus only simulates SOP. I can't be used for abnormal situations. If you force such situations lots of things can happen, as they are not modelled. 

Hi Harry,

As Tom says, there are no guarantees as the Aerosoft bus was not designed with abnormals in mind. Saying that, however, I have definitely flown it on one engine before.

I will have a try tomorrow to refresh my memory. However, in general -- make sure you centre the beta target with rudder as unless you minimise the sideslip you will struggle for performance.

You should be aiming to fly V2 or the speed at the moment of the failure if higher as this will get you the best performance. Also, don't forget to raise the gear promptly once you have a positive rate.

The rate of climb OEI may well be very low, especially if you are used to normal all engine takeoffs!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks skelsey! The sideslip is indeed hefty and could explain some of my airspeed problems; especially when i try to bank there is no chance to maintain positive rate - i could eventually climb super slow if i maintain heading, i'll try that. Gear out or flaps 2 brings me down quickly - i understand that anything that happens here is eventually not realistic, as it was not developed or tested with that scenario in mind; would be interesting still to hear from other simmers or pilots what they experience or what the real airbus would be able to deliver in that situation.

cheers,

Harry

Did another flight and indeed with zero bank, flaps 1, of course gear up and toga, rudder trimmed to compensate for the left turn tendency i can climb very slowly. Flaps 2 or 0 both yield a negative rate, as does any bank bigger than 10 degrees. The way to go back with that Airbus obviously seems to climb straight as long as possible and to plan the turns back to the airport with a big radius. Real or not, it is a challenge that is fun in intself.

My interest in the reail Airbus performance with 1 engine only is still there, especially concerning it's ability to climb while turning back and maintaining height with flaps > 1 and/or gear out.

A320-214 CFM, ZF Weight: 56 tonnes + 19 tonnes fuel = 75 tonnes. Heavy, but well below the limit I think. Retried it with 63 tonnes takeoff, slightly better, still good climbing only with flaps 1 only and mostly avoiding any bank; a sharp emergency turn would bring her down quickly.

I summarize: If flown with slightly less takeoff weight (around 65 tons), immediately trimmed after engine out and mostly climbing straight out on TOGA, remaining in flaps 1, followed by a not too sharp emergency turn (going to speed mode) I can control her now. I still think she may be a bit too weak with one engine, but at 65 tons the behavior seems not unreasonable und it's a fun to try.

Archived