Repeated altitude warning horn?

For example, when the plane is flying at 3000 ft with FCU altitude also selected at 3000. Then I manually descend without changing the FCU altitude. After deviating a few hundred feet from 3000 I get altitude alarm horn (which is expected), but the alarm continues forever unless I select a different altitude.

I am not sure whether this is a bug. It's not a big deal but would be really nice if it's fixed.

Thanks

In what conditions it occurs? Are you making visual approach to the airport? Did you disabled autopilot and F/D?

I only can say it happens to me sometimes, when i load the aircraft, and QNH is incorrectly set (i have this alarm).

• Deputy Sheriffs

The way to fly an Airbus, and any other plane that has an FCU/FCP/MCP, is first to select the altitude you want to go to and then leave the present altitude. Doing it this way will give you no problems and is SOP. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

The way to fly an Airbus, and any other plane that has an FCU/FCP/MCP, is first to select the altitude you want to go to and then leave the present altitude. Doing it this way will give you no problems and is SOP. 

Okay. Will give it a try on my next flight.

Well, this is not true for all cases.

I'll give you one example where this procedure doesn't work, isn't SOP, and it shows that there is a bug with the altitude deviation warning sound.

Imagine you are descending on AP passing 4000' for a runway that has a missed approach procedure ending at 3000'. You are given (or decide to) make a visual approach. AP goes off, FD goes off, and you select 3000' on the MCP altitude for the (eventual) missed approach (that's SOP). Beautiful. So now you are descending through 4000' feet and you have 3000' selected, flying manual as the book says. When you are passing 3500' the horn sounds once to remind you that you are approaching the selected altitude. Perfect. You continue the descent and you are now passing 2500'. The horn sounds again to remind you that you've passed the selected altitude. Perfect as well... only it was supposed to sound only once! But it keeps buzzing until the end of the flight, or until you select another altitude.

And that is what's not properly simulated. The horn should sound only once while descending. And no, you dont select 0100' feet on the MCP altitude window while performing a visual approach. That's not SOP! So... we do have a bug!

No, the horn will keep sounding. In real life this is simply resolved by pressing the Master Warning button (note that both pilots have to press it simultaniously to silence the warning in real life! In our Bus just you have to press it). Thus-> No bug, but a feature.

Alternative procedure: Just dial it back up a few hundret feet and then back down to 3000 again.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just to correct Emi on one point, only one MW PB needs to be pushed. The AS Bus has it correctly implemented. IRL you see a lot of pilots both going for the MW cancel but this is more a reflex to get that annoying sound go away.

Archived