Helgoland Aircraft Carrier?

Kofi

Beaten to the post!

I took a flight to try and find the oil rig...without success. But I did come across, to my surprise, the aircraft carrier in convoy with a frigate. Is this an easter egg or an FSX standard ship?

The really amusing thing is that the aircraft carrier is merrily plowing along a shipping lane straight at civilian ships. These then have to divert sharp around the carrier and frigate before returning to their original course.

At some point I will doubt become obsessed with trying to land on the carrier, just like I was with the one parked at San Diego. However I don't think a moving ship is going to be anyway as easier.

Also, worth stating for the record, Helgoland is a great scenery package.

Rob Berandregt (I've probably spelt that wrong) has released an FSX version of his carrier operations package at Avsim, which might help you... ;)

Ian P.

And the German Marine heli frigate is also (heli) landable... it's a bit wobbly, but you don't fall off...

The carrier? No Easter Egg AFAIK... just standard FSX ships adapted by Sascha to populate the waterways. There's a couple of horrible FSX ships in use too - container ships with lousy shadow effects. But the string of ships is just so long and varied, it is a sheer pleasure just to fly up and down the "fleet" to see what is there. I lost count at 15 different floaters.

The Oil rig should be visible on the FSX map window. If you follow the line of ships eastward, you should also get a visual ahead and left when one of the offshore islands comes into view. At night you should see the flame from the burner...

Landing on a moving ship is not too difficult - just set the in-sim wind from the opposite direction to "add" more windspeed and you'll almost be able to "hover in" with a propeller plane.