Wind sensitivity

reflected

Hi,

I've never flown an F-14 or any fighter jet, only gliders and a few single engine prop planes, but I find the F-14's FM very believable. Except for one thing: As soon as there is a little wind, even 3-5 knots, and the plane drifts like crazy. No amount of crabbing can keep me on the glideslope. Don't you guys find the Tomcat to be overly sensitive to wind, especially at low speeds?

Cheers,

Greg

I don't recall finding it overly sensitive in regards to drift but I occasionally find that when flying in situations where there is no wind that sometimes it feels as though I am in severe turbulence and I have to fight to keep it level. I don't think that is what you are referring to but I could be mistaken. I will fly some approaches with a crosswind tonight and see if I notice the same effect.

Cheers

-Josh

It all happened when i created a carrier with tacpack. Perhaps something went wrong there, and it didn't move straight ahead because something was very off about the relative movement of my Tomcat. Even after I turned the wind off. 

The Kitty Hawk always travels into the wind, correct? In real life, do carriers thrn into the wind for recovery, or it keeps steaming the way it wants to go and planes just have to land like that?

In real life carriers will turn into wind to aid recovery by reducing the relative forward speed of the aircraft and during takeoff to allow maximum takeoff weight with weapons when required and reduce aircraft stain from the catapult.

if you create a carrier with tacpack there are options to ensure it maintains a course and speed into wind. 

vor 22 Stunden , Wingmate sagte:

I occasionally find that when flying in situations where there is no wind that sometimes it feels as though I am in severe turbulence and I have to fight to keep it level.

Cheers

-Josh

Ive had that too and deactivating turbulence effects on aircrafit in the FSX Weather options menu fixed it for me

Did you set the ships heading and speed to follow the wind? If you did and the wind changes direction the carrier will change its course to maintain the wind over deck. 

Archived