GS Mini

skelsey

Hi all,

This evening going in to Manchester with the gusty winds we're having up here at the moment I was treated to an excellent demonstration of the GS Mini function, which for the most part behaved exactly as expected to deal with the nearly 70kt headwind at 2000ft (vs 20G38 on the ground).

However, I found that as the headwind increased, GS mini was actually commanding a target IAS in excess of VFE (i.e. in the red band). This was somewhat surprising, albeit easy enough to deal with it by going to selected speed until the headwind had calmed slightly.

Now -- having subsequently checked the books -- it appears that GS mini is limited by Vapp at the lower end in all A320 vintages, but is only limited at the upper end by VFE -5 in later MSNs (1320 onwards), so we may or may not have a problem here depending on which MSN the Aerosoft bus is modelled on :).

Just thought I would bring to your attention. Would be interested to know what MSN is being modelled, though!

Cheers,

Simon

• Deputy Sheriffs

We are not modeling any MSN in particuliar. This whole MSN thing is only interesting from a hardware point of view. I know there is a certain company that claims to do a certain MSN but they do not back that up or provide answers when asked about it so IMO it is just a marketing line to make it sound more realistic.

The reason why stating an MSN is not interesting or important is because computers and the software are changed and updated over time. A good example is the ELAC or TCAS 7.1 lately.

We will have a look at the GS Mini with regard to the Vfe and probably change the code if the behaviour you are seeing can be replicated.

Thanks for reporting.

No problem, thanks Frank.

For info, if you wanted to replicate the situation exactly I made the approaches to EGCC 23R Sat 5/12/15 at about 2230Z if you use the ASN historical weather feature. Flap 3, GW relatively heavy at around 63 tonnes IIRC (VApp was 142kt).

Cheers,

Simon

Archived