Checklist callout by PF and Pnf when descent initiated by ATC

JustanotherPilot

The Airbus is reaching TOD in managed mode, just prior to descent the PF and PnF commence their descent preparation checklist, a lower descent is dialed into the altitude selector, after they have completed this, descent is initiated in either managed or other mode (descent altitude button pushed or pulled) The PF and PnF continue to do their appropriate checklists through to approach and landing (lights, flaps, brakes and gear etc selected by them) giving the readouts as required. They have completed a full auto checklist with response descent to landing and taxi checklist.

I would like to know how I get the PnF and PF to commence their checklist if descent is directed by ATC prior to the calculated TOD, and could be initiated upto 100nm from the calculated TOD. I would like them to continue with the automation and checklist of the flight like they would had they reached the calculated TOD which triggers the descent checklist and so on.

At the moment if I instigate descent prior to the calculated TOD and the PF and PnF remain silent and no checklist or responses are commenced. I have dialed in a lower altitude, entered the arrival airport QNH, pushed in the sliding tables, put the seat belt sign on but I just can't manual trigger the automatic checklist and response.

steve southey

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Steve,

please have a look into Vol6 StepbyStep Guide #214 where it states: DESCENT PREP. CL: It now can be manually started 1 min after reaching CRZ LVL. This means when you get the ATC information for descent just start the checklist from the MCDU2 CL MENU...... and everything commences as you would like....

Regards,

Hanse

Hi Hanse,

I did read this before posting but I don't understand how it operates, in other words I'm totally confused - my understanding is that this is a calculated TOD which activates the checklist, it doesn't explain how to initiate a manual descent prior to reaching the calculated TOD (if directed by ATC) and RETAIN the PnF and PF checklist that is used when initiated descent at calculated TOD.

steve

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Steve,

the manual states, that 1 minute after you reached CRZ LVL: You are able to manually start the checklist from the right MCDU CHECKLIST MENU. If you receive from ATC the order to descent before T/D then:

• Manually start the Descent Preparation CL - before that the MCDU PERF APPR page should have already been set up by you - .
  • Set on the FCU the Descent-To-Alt you got from ATC
  • Push the FCU ALT button and the plane will start to descent in managed mode. If you would like to increase the V/S please do so = selected mode.
  • After the descent has been initiated the Descent CL will start

If you receive from ATC the order to descent before you reached CTZ LVL then it is a little bit more complicated because first you have to adjust the CRZ LVL to your current FL. This you have to do by adjusting the MCDU CRZ LVL on the INIT A page to your current altitude. If the FMA states ALT CRZ e. g. you are at CRZ LVL then you can start the a. m. procedure......

Regards,

Hanse

Hanse,

I understand all you have said but what about the  checklists being read............

I don't think I made myself clear.  Simply put. How do  I get the Pilot Flying and the Pilot not flying to run through the pre descent checklists  if descent is directed by ATC before reaching the managed TOD. What are the triggers to get them to talk like they do during a normal flight  when reaching TOD and descent is initiated - prior to this they start their checklists, they then go on to approach checklist...after landing checklist....shutdown checklist. If I initiate descent before this none of the checklists are read by them, because  trigger has been missed.

steve

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think you do not understand what "manually" means. Go to the right MCDU and open the CHECKLIST menu = LSK1R. Then you see a list of all checklists - all should be grey at that moment -   Use the button on the keyboard with an arrow showing to the right and you will see display like below. This means the CRUISE CL is active (green) and the DESCENT PREP available (yellow). Just push LSK 5L and the checklist will start. This process is also explained in chapter 4.8 of the Vol6 StepbyStep manual.......

Regards,

Hanse

Please login to display this image.

Kind of Hijacking this, (sorry chief.) But what if your check lists are all greyed out? my FMA (I think?) doesn't always show that the aircraft is in cruise mode (cruise LVL) sometimes. even tho I'm at cruise level that's set in the FMC and in the Alt selector and pushed in. at that point only climb is green, and then greys out after a period of time after we start decent.  - I suspect that something isn't being done in the climb. I have been using the Co Pilot on from departure onwards)

Is there something I can do to force cruise mode. to stop my flight crew from falling asleep!

I'm a total noob to the airbus, so I wont lie when I say its probably user error!! :) 

regards

Liam

Reading back through, I may look at post #4 next time I'm in the skies... maybe a solution to my woes.

Good luck OP.

Liam

Hanse

That fixed my problem, It's exactly what I was trying to do, now works as I wanted. I wasn't aware that this part of the MCDU checklist function existed, your image and description helped. Thanks for your help and patience.

Steve

I look forward to applying this to the A330 when it's released.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived