Amazing HQ video of an actual bird strike on a 757

Robert S

I read somewhere that apparently it was couple of Herons that got sucked in.

What I liked about it was they seemed so calm and professional about it all.

I aslo heard that Roast Chicken was on the menu for the inflight meal. :? :lol: :arrow:

What I liked about it was they seemed so calm and professional about it all.

That's what they train for. No big deal.

And that's why they make the big bucks. :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft

Very impressive. I would fly with this crew anytime (the tower is also handling it very efficient of course)

Somebody should explain what caused the surging of the engine after it has been hit. Are the flames a sign the engine is trying to restart automatically?

I also learned something I did not know. After the aircraft declared a 'mayday' they used 'mayday' in every radio conversation. Makes good sense of course.

At the KLu airshow last weekend there was also a F-16 with a bird hit. I was not yet on the base when it happened but there's a video of it on youtube. Impressive stuff :shock:

The orange flames you can see from the exhaust, indicate lack of air to burn the fuel at high pressure inside the combustion section of the engine. Not sure if it's the same with the 757 in the first video.

Hi,

I've watched a 737 200 swallow about 15 seagulls in one of it's JT8s and needless to say, it looks horrifying. They train for this so they remain professional. The ATC, in the 757-video is as well, stating all RWYs are available for landing. Job well done. No work for the fire crew is a good solution! Not that I'm lazy...... :oops: :D

Thanks

• Aerosoft
Hi,

I've watched a 737 200 swallow about 15 seagulls in one of it's JT8s and needless to say, it looks horrifying. They train for this so they remain professional. The ATC, in the 757-video is as well, stating all RWYs are available for landing. Job well done. No work for the fire crew is a good solution! Not that I'm lazy...... :oops: :D

Thanks

My experience is that training only covers 3/4 of it. The last 1/4 is up to the person, you can train until you are blue in the face, but when those engine gauges start yelling at you 1.5 second after Vr you have to be able to shut down parts of your brain and give the professionally trained part of your brain room to take over. We all heard the very unprofessional cockpit tapes leading up to accidents. The events sometimes seem to take over and trained people can 'lock up'. I know I done when my car went of the track, I had all the training it just did not kick in. On the other hand I have seen my own daughter covered in blood and I was dead cold, doing what needed to be done.

btw, my daughter is right now out riding her horse, splendid example of a 10 year old girl, I did not get any body parts hurt in the track accident, but my pride and the car were write-offs. I call that a 100% successful ending .

Based on what I heave learnt. I would say the flames where caused by a compressor stall. The crew would have noticed a sudden loss of power to the offending engine and probably a high EGT. The compressor discs could rip them selves apart. This can cause serious damage to the engine (obviously) so the first thing that the crew do is shut down the engine.

Some times you get lucky, a few weeks ago here, a 737-800 injested a pelican. The crew shut the engine down at made an air return. Fortunatly the only damage was to the N1 Blades, so it was flying again within a few hours (after engine power assurance runs).

The unfortunate thing is that the birds dont get a second chance.