P3DV3 - Airbus Reverse Thrust Simulation Malfunction?

Hello,

Well, this is a so repeated issue that its a shame to add another one.

After migrating to P3DV3, downloaded and tested few days ago the most recent Airbus from Aerosoft compatible with P3DV3(AS_AIRBUS-A320-A321_FSX-P3DV2-P3DV3-FSXSTEAM_V131), and i feel like the reversers are not really working well.  I noticed several users indicating that visually seems to be ok, in the screens you can see they go up to 65 percent and rectangles in green(Though they should be in magenta), but i noticed some interesting things:

1- You can not feel the deceletarion comming from the reversers. If you simulate brake emergencies you notice that.    It is well known that braking strength comes 40 percent from reversers and 60 percent from tires, but, it feels like the Newton 1st law over a frozen lake! :lol:

2- Tested short runway landings(KJAC) its like braking is comming only from tires.   Im able to stop the aircraft, but at the very end of the RW.......   Tested the same landing Withought reversers and withough spoilers,  and behavior is very simmilar.  So,  no reversers at all?:huh:

3- You can taxy with thrust reversers engaged........ like if the inertia is moving the airplane on and on and on...  But sure,   it will work during landings....:blink:  This simple test is very noticeable.

4- No apparent reverse feeling when engaging reversers with the airplane stopped.   If you stop and engage reversers,  you dont really feel anything.   the airplane is not going back.  I mean,  dont know how true this is, but thinking a bit, a reverser can give so mutch braking strength that i bet you could pushback with it....   you gotta feel something....   

Come on....  Its not normal.   Feels like there is no reverser at all...    I though it was the FSUIPC of something else blobking the reversers to go back enogh! :D, but after browsing around, i see this is a repeated bell around.

Thanks in advance for support,

Affirmative,

I Upgraded the Airbus as soon as was V3 compatible(From Simmarket) and installed as normal(A fresh install, no other airbus version were attempted to be installed before in my V3, not even migration or any other program).

i got to say i had FSUIPC4   V4.946 when the very first install into my P3DV3, but then started to read around and realized that a new version  4.948 was released, so i reinstalled FSUIPC.

I Installed the LUA Files to configure the Saitek Quadrants through the FSUIPC, etc.... normal historic process, and as expected throtles started to move, etc,etc... the reverse action accurs, but seems completely absent as per the little tests i described in my last msg.  I can see, hear, notice the REV in Green rectangles, but i can not really feel any reverse at all.

By the way, i think i posted in the wrong forum  (Think this is airbus extended - My bad - Should have Been in the "Airbus forum"  right)?

Thanks in advance for support,

If you see the images No.1 and No 2 here, you can see my Airbus during Reverse:

Please login to display this image.

In image No1, you can see the Airbus when i engage the reversers.  It reaches about 65 percent under green rectangles.    I thought that the numbers should go in magenta as per image no.2(which happen when i dissengage reverse).  But again, i dont feel the reversers action at all...

Is that normal, or the green/magenta color is a clue indicating something wrong?    I got to say that i feel like the reversers start acting when pass from GREEN(Reversers active)-->Magenta(Rev. Returning)-->Green(Normal Thrust position.    When it goes through magenta, i feel like the little backward force(not enought to move, but it feels like pulling backwards in the cabin and wheel views).

I tried installing the Airbus again, deleting FSUIPC ini file and starting again from scratch, antivirus off, but, the same....  May be the Lua files need some P3DV3 / Saitek Tunning?

Thanks in advace,  

Sorry to insist, but, can anyone give me a hand?   I have few  pending questions and i can not solve this:

1- The green/magenta color is a clue indicating something wrong on the reverser?  Or is it ok?  I though the reverser sholw be in magenta to indicate REV is armed, but ok, im not sure this time because i read some topics indicating that green is ok...  The matter is that when i spool up from REV to normal idle, i can actually feel a little force backward just when the Magenta REV iluminates..... and then goes green again....  So...

2- Can anyone test if feels the reverse action?   I can even start taxiing and suddenly arm reversers, and the airplane just goes on.... 

Thanks in advance...

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Raphael,

Are you by chance revering to the colour amber when you say magenta?

When you select the reversers the REV indication will first be displayed in amber to indicate that the reverser doors are unlocked or in transit if you will. (They do not really work as reversers yet) The REV indications are in green when the reverser doors are in their deployed and locked position and are now "active" as reversers. From this moment on they produce reverse thrust, as intended, and can be used.

On 17 de novembro de 2015 13:50:53, Raphael_Chacon said:

Anyone with the same issue? :huh:

Raphael. In real life, thrust reverser have a very limited effect in reducing the landing distance in a DRY runway. If I recall correctly, the actual landing distance in a dry runway is reduced by only 5%. So, for landing in a dry runway, the reverse is only making noise, burning fuel and adding wear and tear on the engines. Lots of airlines recommend in their operating policies that the reverses should be kept at IDLE REV, when landing in a dry runway. Keep in mind that all landing distance calculations for dispatch purpose don't take reversers in account. 

If the runway is WET and/or contaminated with patches of water/slush THEN the reversers will be very effective. In an icy runway, they can reduce the required landing distance by a substantial amount. 

Since FSX or P3D can't simulate the reduced friction on wet runways, I think that the thrust reverser effect is quite realistic

Thank guys,

Yep i meaned Amber....:ph34r:

mmm about the only 5 percent of breaking from reversers on dry Runway, feels interesting, but dont now,   all this air comming from engines will really pull backwards, i dont feel like 5 percent, otherwise i would see many aircraft just not reversing engines... (Plane spooting), or may be im not that experienced looking at those cases.

But, if you feel that the reversers are well simulated the way they are, well, may be im used to more breaking force during simulation.      I got to say that ive performed few flights with the Airbus, and im able to land normally, so.....    I think i got this answered...

Happy Flying B)

• Deputy Sheriffs

1 hour ago, Raphael_Chacon said:

otherwise i would see many aircraft just not reversing engines... (Plane spooting), 

Selecting reverse thrust after touchdown is SOP for two reasons. The first is to have it readily available incase you need it (more than idle that is). And the second reason is a very important one with Airbuses. By selecting reverse thrust you are telling the aircraft that you are on the ground and want to stay there. The Airbus can be very tricky in it's air to ground mode switching and having the thrust levers in idle and at least one in the REV notch ensures that all "computers" know that you want to be in "ground" mode. There have been some fatal accidents with the A320Family because some of the "computers" were still "flying" after touchdown. 

I noticed this as well.  When the reversers come on they dont appear to do anything.  By reading this post I am a bit confused (I'm no pilot) is this normal for the reversers not to work?  I overran the runway once (I think it was KFLL 10R, which I think IRL is closed) with full brakes and reversers.

In the PMDG 737 if I leave the reversers on long enough the plane will actually start a slow roll backwards, in this one nothing happens (again, not sure if this is normal either).

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2015 at 11:52 AM, pegruder said:

I noticed this as well.  When the reversers come on they dont appear to do anything.  By reading this post I am a bit confused (I'm no pilot) is this normal for the reversers not to work?  I overran the runway once (I think it was KFLL 10R, which I think IRL is closed) with full brakes and reversers.

In the PMDG 737 if I leave the reversers on long enough the plane will actually start a slow roll backwards, in this one nothing happens (again, not sure if this is normal either).

Hi Guys... The reversers in turbofan aircraft actually deflects only the air that's coming from the fan. The air that is coming from engine core is still blown backwards. So its effectiveness  is lower than a clam shell-type  reverser, like the ones we find on turbojets/low bypass turbofans like the  737-200 / 727 / DC-9 or even the Fokker-100. These reversers are far more effective and planes like the 727 could even perform a power back. The Fokker-100 was also capable of doing that, and in the few times I've powered back with that aircraft, it was a spectacle of noise and dust. Aircraft with wing-mounted engines like the A-320 and 737 are not allowed to use reversers for powerback, as it would create a severe hazard from engine FOD ingestion.

In real life, as I have told you, the reversers have little effectiveness in stopping the aircraft. I've got the following info from the CFM-equipped A320.

Landing distance reduction with 2 reversers operative

Dry Runway : 3%  , Wet runway: 8%  , 1/4 inch of  water 10% , 1/4 inch slush 8%,  Ice 24%.

I believe that these figures may be better for IAE-equipped Airbuses.

So, why do we use reverse thrust upon landing?

The main reason is to block the idle forward thrust from the engines and this saves wear and tear on the brakes. Also to indicate that the plane is on ground (and lots of planes will open their ground spoilers (if by somehow they didn't auto-deploy) when reversers are selected. Also, keep in mind that reversers are not taken in account for landing distances calculation. 

Archived