Total newby to Flight Simulation, help needed

The Cameraman

Hi Chaps,

I wonder if some of you guys can get me started with flight sims?

I've flown float equiped DHC-2 Beavers over in Canada and now find that I've been permanently grounded due to medical reasons.

After getting over the initial shock I've decided that the only way I can continue is via flight sims. So I'm looking to purchase everything from scratch.

The aircraft I'd like to cover would be;

a, my trusty Beaver (on floats) or amphibious if possible,

b, a PBY catalina (an aircraft I'd have loved to have flown),

c, a Grumman Albatross (as above).

As you can see I really love aircraft that get their belly's wet!

The regions I'd like to fly would include;

a, west coast of British Columbia,

b, London (Thames, now wouldn't that be fun),

c, Scotland (Loch Lomond & Loch Earn).

So I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions from the following points;

1, Hardware - I plan to have a PC dedicated purely for flight sim use and wonder what system specs youd recommend, without totally breaking the bank?

2, Hardware - what control column, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals would be ideal for my needs, noting I'm looking for a realistic experience.

3, Software - which FS product would you suggest as being user friendly but capable of very good resolution? I'm looking for real time use.

4, Software - Which Beaver add on would you recommend (no guessing the answers to this one)! Please note that the Flight Sim PC will not be linked to the internet and that any updates will be downloaded onto my laptop first before being copied onto CD then onto the FS PC.

I know my requirements are very specific but if you can answer any of the points I'd be most grateful.

Thanking you in anticipation of you replies.

It´s a matter of how much money you want to spend. For a Beaver you are quite right here, the Aerosoft one is the best I have flown till now.

If you have lots of money to spend, you might get a High-end rig with FSX, newest of Microsoft Flight sims, if you want a more medium class PC, you could go on with FS2004, or with other Name, FS9. It´s the sim that came before FSX, so it´s not the newest, but you won´t need to spend Big money on a PC....

So it´s a personal matter, for FS9 I´d recommend a GeForce FX6600 class graphics card, at least a 3000+ Athlon CPU (Or equivalent Intel CPU), 1GB DDR Ram and at least something like 40GB HDD.... A good joystick, preferably with Force Feedback, or a Yoke (No Force Feedback aviable for those), and pedals are quite important if you want a bit realism....

So, maybe some people may have different opinions, some will advice you to get FS X, some will not. Some will say that What I wrote is Bull#####, and some will agree... It´s my opinion of flightsimming, it´s hard to defianetely say what you need. Biggest question is if you want to pay big time and get FSX with all stuff or stay with FS9, it doesn´t look as good as FSX in many parts, but there´s lots more products aviable.

For Software, as FS addon, I´d recommend the Beaver from Aerosoft, FS9 or FSX version, while FSX version is still in the making. An Aerosoft Catalina is planned, too.... And I´d recommend you to look through the sites with freeware addons, too, like Simviation.com, Flightsim.com, Avsim.com and so on....

Hope I could help....

Hi Chaps,

I've flown float equiped DHC-2 Beavers over in Canada and now find that I've been permanently grounded due to medical reasons.

After getting over the initial shock I've decided that the only way I can continue is via flight sims. So I'm looking to purchase everything from scratch.

1, Hardware - I plan to have a PC dedicated purely for flight sim use and wonder what system specs youd recommend, without totally breaking the bank?

2, Hardware - what control column, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals would be ideal for my needs, noting I'm looking for a realistic experience.

3, Software - which FS product would you suggest as being user friendly but capable of very good resolution? I'm looking for real time use.

4, Software - Which Beaver add on would you recommend (no guessing the answers to this one)! Please note that the Flight Sim PC will not be linked to the internet and that any updates will be downloaded onto my laptop first before being copied onto CD then onto the FS PC.

I know my requirements are very specific but if you can answer any of the points I'd be most grateful.

Are you at liberty to reveal your budget? It would help.

Hi Reggie

Well, no matter what, you're going to be hooked. Book yourself plenty of time off with your "significant other" for a start :lol:

Next, you'll need money, lots of it - If you've flown and are grounded, you'll really enjoy this. Mind you, there is also a LOT of freeware around, that will no doubt take your fancy.

FSX or FS9? I'd hold on FSX for a while. FS9 (Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 "A Century of Flight") is currently well supplied with thousands of goodies to add - both freeware and payware.

The Aerosoft Beaver for FS9 is super. I had a couple of flights many years ago during my Army days. Sadly, the one Brit Army paint they have included is XP807, which crashed in the late 60's I believe.

Aerosoft are bringing the Beaver out again for FSX by the way.

A company called AlphaSim do a reasonable Catalina.

There's a few Grumman Geese and the like floating around. I think FSX has a Goose included, along with a floaty Beaver as default aircraft. You can find a lot of good Bush planes for free in avsim - that's www.avsim.com

Another reason I say stick with FS9 for now is the fact that there's a LOT of great bush scenery for British Columbia, Washington State and Alaska out for FS9. It may be a whle before FSX gets up to that standard yet.

As for sceneries, you can find a lot: (I hope Mathijs will excuse some plugging of addons not in the Aerosoft portfolio :wink: but he did have his hands in on or the other before his Aerosoft days)

Georender / FSaddon - many small airfields in Washington

Lago - Emma Field - an excellent small flying club atmosphere (and a massive following), on Hood Sound west of SeaTac

Misty Fjords - a highly detailed area around Ketchikan

Tongass Fjords - an area adjacent to Misty Fjords - up to around Sitka

Vancouver area, BC

Misty Moorings - a group of fans who have made hundreds of small scenery addons for Misty Fjords

UK VFR terrain meshes and photoreal scenery (not quite as far North as Scotland, but I believe there is a Scottish scenery for FS9 around)

Ultimate Terrain - they have some excellent Canada, Alaska and USA scenery. (get them here at Aerosoft)

I shan't tell you where to find all these, here is one place of course and it won't be long at all before you find the other online shop(s)

Here at Aerosoft you will also find the Piper Super Cub - another excellent ride! Another interesting old "wet belly" is the Beech 18 - well, there is a float version included...

You might also like to get involved with "Freight Dogs" - an adventure type addon where you can choose various freight tasks. Fly to airport A, load up with freight and then off to airport / airfield B against the clock.

Maybe, as a Beaver pilot, Mathijs might "want a word of advice" occasionally. The Aerosoft Beaver is extremely popular!

Anyway - welcome to flightsimming!

• Aerosoft
Hi Chaps,

Contact us at info@aerosoft-shop.com and I'll set you up with a free copy of our DHC2 beaver, under one condition, we are doing a FSx version right now and I like your input on how to make it better. For example is all float water rudders work with the manual cable or if there are electrical systems as well. We are doing our version with electrical flaps.

And amphibs? Are the water rudders also manual on those models?