Position Synchronisation Issues

skelsey

Hello all,

Just completed my second CFD flight in the A320 -- we came across a slightly odd issue, with which your advice and input would be appreciated.

During the cockpit preparation everything seemed to synchronise perfectly. However, when I (as Master) attempted to push back using the FSX Shift-P function, my colleague didn't see any movement. We then tried starting the engines and taxiing out (instead of using Shift-P), with the same problem.

We switched roles (so I became SLAVE) and my aircraft position was immediately slaved correctly to my colleague, who was able to taxi out and take off with no issues. However, when we switched roles in the cruise (so I became MASTER), the position synchronisation stopped working again (so my colleague's aircraft stopped, but I continued). Again, switching the roles solved the problem.

I've completed one other CFD flight previously (with a different person) and the position synchronisation worked perfectly from both sides then, so this was slightly odd!

Any ideas? Apologies if I haven't explained myself very well!

When in CFD, it's always difficult to tell where a network problem exists.  Given what you've explained, I'm going to guess that you're using Hamachi?
If so, one of you doesn't have compatible settings with the other. 

Note please that I do not support the use of Hamachi and can't provide any other assistance.  See the OVPA guides at the top of this forum for more information.

Happy flying!

Negative -- we are using port forwarding. I'm familiar with your guides and Hamachi is something I'm not comfortable with!

To summarise the problem perhaps more succinctly: everything worked absolutely as expected, except that position information was not synchronised between me (as MASTER) and my colleague (as SLAVE). However, when I placed myself in the SLAVE mode, with my colleague as MASTER, my aircraft correctly synchronised to his position.

However, I had previously carried out a CFD flight with someone else (again, using port forwarding) and we were able to interchange MASTER/SLAVE roles throughout successfully with no problems whatsoever.

Do you think it is a network issue? I have ports 6881 and 6882 confirmed open on my end (TCP & UDP) using the Simple Port Tester tool linked in one of your guides: I presume my colleague must have had his router configured appropriately also, otherwise I doubt the connection would have been successful at all. Do you know how position information is transmitted via CFD -- does it go with everything else on 6881 (TCP?) or does it go a different route?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

That being the case, I'd lean towards one of the software firewalls partially blocking communications.  Try TEMPORARILY disabling them and see if that makes a difference.  Note that to eliminate the software firewalls you'll have to disable them before starting your flight simulator.

I would also be interested in seeing a Port Test report (see the link in the OVPA Guides) from both computers.

I'll add one more thing... Security Suite software updates can sometimes affect the existing settings and rules. When this happens you'll have to change the setting or remove the rule and then place them back.

Finally, try making another flight with the first party and see how things work.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to tidy this up -- we had another go on Monday evening and everything went well, so problem solved.

I think my colleague had forwarded 6881 and 6882 TCP only the first time, and TCP and UDP the second (successful) time. Just for clarity and future reference, is anybody able to confirm that it's necessary to forward both protocols?

Archived