Problem with wind sound for ASK21

JamesAllen

In general I like this glider model but am noticing some frequent and repetitive dropouts in the sound loop from the sound of the wind for the ASK21 models (specifically the sound file 'wind_64.wav'. It is particularly noticeable when I am using my steelseries headphones - so much so that I was finding it unbearable to fly this glider for more than about 15 minutes at a time. I have confirmed that at least one other person has noticed the same thing and I can see the dropouts in the file using a sound editor, so it not something else on my system.

I managed to make a temporary fix by replacing this file with one from the Discus X after renaming it appropriately and backing up the original. The general tone and variability of the Discus X sound file for wind noise seems to be different to the ASK21 version but I can now fly long cross-country flights in the ASK21 without becoming totally irritated.

So I am hoping that this sound file might be considered for a fixed replacement at some stage.

-James

Wow that was a quick response - I barely had time to eat my dinner!

But I have a strange problem with that new sound file - even though I copied over the existing file wav file, the sim does not seem to find it, or more noticeably I get no wind sound except for a little when the spoilers are extended. If I put a copy of the original file back in the sound folder it works but with the sound glitch.

The really strange thing is that that your new file looks perfect in my sound editor and it plays OK in Windows Media player - so any ideas on what might be wrong here?

Cheers,

James

Hi Joachim,

I finally got the new file to work, I had to load your new into my sound editor and then produce a new .wav file with the same name in another folder Copied that into the sound folder and it worked OK this time.

So I am wondering if the file name was created with an unusual character encoding that the sim doesn't recognise or maybe my downloader changed it somehow. Anyway it works now. So I am a happy chappy.

Cheers,

-James

Hi Joachim,

Forget my previous post - I discovered that my sound editor has now put a dropout at the very start of the sound loop - it is not as bad as the original sound file but I have decided to put the Discus X sound file back in as it seems to be the best option pending further advice. I also tried an alterative sound editor and although it didn't create any dropouts, it made the file too large for the sim to cope with and it doesn't seem to have any options to make the output file any smaller.

I am pretty sure that the ASK21 sim cannot recognize the new file because I can rename it even while the sim is running and Windows doesn't report the file as being in use, whereas with the original file or the Discus X substitute it does block the rename attempt.

Cheers,

-James

OK that new file is recognised by the sim but it sounds as though it has some slight glitches or spikes in the sound loop to me. I cannot see any dropouts this time in the waveform although there are a few strange pauses in some peaks if you zoom in on the time line in a sound editor. Also the glitches are only noticeable now on my headphones and not noticeable on my speaker system. I guess my headphones must be too sensitive to small aberrations in the sound.

I think I might just stick with the Discus X wind sound - it sounds more natural, has reasonable variation in it without any noticeable glitches. It also blends well with the spoilers extended sound.

Cheers,

-James

I also wear headphones and have noticed the glitch in the ASK21 wind sound and thought it was a problem with my system until I could also hear it separately in an audio player. I downloaded the test file here and it did not work at all, total silence. So I took the file wind_c.wav out of my DiscusX folder in and renamed it to wind_64.wav and now the glitch in the sound is gone. It is higher pitched and a bit repetitive but at least it has no glitch.

Personally speaking, I cannot comment what a good sound is from a bad sound since I never flown in a real world ASK21. However I do know when a sound has a glitch, and the ASK21 wind sound is glitched.

Thanks for trying to fix this. I will live with the DiscusX wind sound for now.

Cheers

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong version of the sound from this forum. Now that I downloaded the latest at post #7, it does work and the glitch is basically gone. I do find the wind sound to be quite repetitive but it is better now than before. I don't need to use the Discus_X version.

Don't worry about it Joachim, as long as others are happy with it. With the latest file that you provided I can still hear and see some aberrations in the waveform of the wind sound loop. I can hear it immediately, before even launching, by parking the glider into a 15kts or more headwind. I developed a bit of ear for that sort of thing many-many years ago when I was working in the HiFi repair workshop of an audio-visual retailer. So small things like that irritate me than most I suppose.

I didn't realise that it would be that difficult to fix, otherwise I would not have mentioned it. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have an acceptable workaround by using the wind sound loop from the Discus X.

So thanks for trying to fix this, and the latest file provided above is an improvement on the original as shown by Harry's post. There are no dropouts now- just some distorted positive peaks in the waveform, which for some odd-reason are highlighted by my headphones.

So I am still a happy ASK21 user - mine just sounds a little different using the Discus X wind sound loop.

Cheers,

-James

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I have with the wind is that it sounds like there's a hurricane outside when you're sitting on the ground, even if there's no wind.

Archived