Buying new computer for FSX

david_wi

Hi Guys

I have a dilemma here on buying a new computer for FSX.

1) I have a lot of stuff on my C: drive(120 Giga),such as FS9 and FSX...

2) I have made a backup copy with Norton's Ghost on phiscal drive E:

3) Now if I buy a new computer,can I add the c: drive there. :?:

4) If I can't do so,can I use Ghost and place the operating system and all the stuff on a new drive :?:

5)Will the operating system check the new hardware environment and accept or reject it. :?:

6)When the new Vista operating system will be released,will we have to install all our stuff again,or it will be an upgrade :?:

Thanks

David

Hello I'll try to answer a little.

First of all when buying a new computer you should not try to use your older hard drive nor a ghost partition. The reason is simple as the system will be completely different or almost, it needs a lot of different drivers, than the last time you had windows configured.

I think it might work if you're very lucky or you'll end up either with a very unstable system, or it wont start at all.

Regarding the update the Vista I don't think everything is clear on Microsoft side, I know that from some version of XP to some other version you can do an upgrade, but not for all possible couple. And I think that as a new system it is better to start with a clean one.

I think though that you might be able to get and overwrite files once you've reinstalled the OS either XP or Vista, and that would probably work, just that you have to think about the file in the Application Data of your profile.

Anyway a last little piece of advice, wait a little to buy your new computer, as if you're planning to go undervista you should get a DirectX 10 compatible graphic card in order to take the full advantage of your system once the Dx 10 patch for FSX will be available (Acutally only the GeForce 8880 model is DirectX 10 compatible).

I hope this help.

Wedge

Hi wedge

Thanks for the most detailed explanation. 8)

I understand that to buy A new computer with Vista on it,will mean also

A 64Bit dual pentium processor,with an ATI X1350 PCI Express graphic adapter or higher,with 512 Mb DDR2 memory.

Also minimum 2 Giga RAM memory on the motherboard.

Boy,what A job to start all over again.... :roll:

Bye

David

Just because you need a DX10 GPU in the future does not mean putting on hold buying a new system. You simply sell your old card once you are ready to up-grade to vista. This is something that happens on a regular basis anyway (buying new GPU's)

I will wait a considerable time before buying anything DX10 as it will take them ages to sort out the driver issues etc. Plus they will drop in price once the initial stampede is over.

Of course this is just my opinion. I have FSX working perfectly for me on my new rig. More than happy.

• Aerosoft
Just because you need a DX10 GPU in the future does not mean putting on hold buying a new system. You simply sell your old card once you are ready to up-grade to vista. This is something that happens on a regular basis anyway (buying new GPU's)

True... there is no indication the slot will change soon, so a moderm Mobo will be able to handle DX10 card fine.