Question about autobrakes

Hello,

I just want to ask a question concerning the autobrakes of Aerosoft's Airbus series.

When I land with autobrakes MED armed, after touchdown I try to de-rotate smoothly, which is not a problem for the two seconds after touching down, but when the brakes kick in abruptly, the nose wheel just smashes onto the ground. Is this really as it should be? I know the autobrakes, when on MED, activate 2 seconds after touchdown, when on LO, after 4 seconds. Isn't there any transition in braking force to give the pilot time to react to the pitch down effect when the brakes activate? I don't see A320s smashing their nose wheels onto the ground that often. :D

I don't think it's something about my landing skills either. My landings are in the 50-200 ft/min area, I never reach more than about 5 degrees pitch up during the flare, I try to de-rotate smoothly but not too slowly. I have observed one thing, out of curiosity I tried to land with brake fans on and the result was a smoother braking force transition.

Another question would be: Is there any way to adjust the time which the brakes take to reach the acquired braking force in any of the .xml (or other) files?

Regards

• Deputy Sheriffs

In RL you do not slowly de-rotate. When do you deploy your thrustreversers?

Why not use AB LOW or manual braking instead of trying to tweak some .xml file?

So how do you derotate then? You have to give the stick some aft pressure at a certain point to avoid a hard nose wheel touchdown, or am I wrong? Correct me if I am.

Usually I activate the thrust reversers when the nose wheel is already just a little above the ground.

I use AB MED, because LO is a bit too weak for most of the airports I fly to. I either don't use manual brakes that often, since (I suppose) it's not used that often irl as well. Again, correct me if I am wrong.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The whole de-rotating should be swift but ofcourse you should not slam the nosegear into the ground. I never had a problem with that aspect of the landing. Holding a little backstick is required. You may only deploy the thrust reversers when the nosewheel is on the ground.

The use of the AB is up to the pilot. I would say that 40% are manual brake landings. Another 40% where the AB is kicked out by the pilot above 100kts. And some 20% where you leave the AB operating till 20-30kts.

The AB is only there to help the pilot. If it does not do what you expect from it then just disconnect it. I always see the AB as a luxery, the CRJ does not have one for example.

Btw, the LOW setting is being tuned by Airbus at the moment to give it a bit more bite. The best AB setting would be something between MED and LOW in RL.

The whole de-rotating should be swift but ofcourse you should not slam the nosegear into the ground. I never had a problem with that aspect of the landing. Holding a little backstick is required. You may only deploy the thrust reversers when the nosewheel is on the ground.

The use of the AB is up to the pilot. I would say that 40% are manual brake landings. Another 40% where the AB is kicked out by the pilot above 100kts. And some 20% where you leave the AB operating till 20-30kts.

The AB is only there to help the pilot. If it does not do what you expect from it then just disconnect it. I always see the AB as a luxery, the CRJ does not have one for example.

Btw, the LOW setting is being tuned by Airbus at the moment to give it a bit more bite. The best AB setting would be something between MED and LOW in RL.

OK, thank you very much for the detailed response. I just thought deploying the thrust reversers was allowed with only MLG on the ground as well, since most of times you see A319/20/21 landings, they are deployed already even with the nose wheel still in the air. But that's not a landing by the manual then, as you say. :)

I'm going to check the Aerosoft one once again however, because for me not even a full deflection can slow down the fast pitch down caused by the AB, don't know if I am the only one with this problem.

OK, thank you very much for the detailed response. I just thought deploying the thrust reversers was allowed with only MLG on the ground as well, since most of times you see A319/20/21 landings, they are deployed already even with the nose wheel still in the air. But that's not a landing by the manual then, as you say. :)

I'm going to check the Aerosoft one once again however, because for me not even a full deflection can slow down the fast pitch down caused by the AB, don't know if I am the only one with this problem.

I just found out it was the FSX FPS limiter causing the brakes hitting so hard and thereby making a swift but not too harsh derotation impossible. I had my FPS locked at 24, now, since I set it to unlimited the brakes don't kick in so abruptly and give more time to react to the pitch down effect. Now everything runs really smooth. :)

Archived