Weather radar above sea/water areas

Steve1181

Hello all,

I realized that the weather radar only reflects the weather above ground areas, and nothing above the sea. For example, a flight from Olba to lclk only shows the weather above beirut and cyprus and nothing above the Mediterranean. And this after tilting the scan to -15 degrees. Am I doing something wrong here?

Another question, which weather engine is best to use with this weather radar, opus or ASN, I am currently using opus, do you recommend ASN?

At the end, I want to thank aerosoft team for this wonderful a320/321, the flight dynamics are impressive.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just to make sure; with weather you mean clouds that have water in them?

For the weather radar it does not matter if you use Opus, ASN or any other weather program. It is all the same. I used both and they work fine. If you are happy with Opus then stick with it.

Just to make sure; with weather you mean clouds that have water in them?

For the weather radar it does not matter if you use Opus, ASN or any other weather program. It is all the same. I used both and they work fine. I you are happy with Opus then stick with it.

hi frank, by water I mean sea areas, e.g. flying from lebl to leib, wx only covers Palma, ibiza and barcelona city, nothing above the Mediterranean. Almost same as terrain display.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yeah, I figured that. My question was what you mean with weather, not with water.

The reason I ask, and I do not know your level of expertise, is that many simmers think you will see every cloud on the weather radar. So before I start a lecture about what a WXR can and can not I first want to make sure about what we are talking here.

Although having around 18 years of flight simming experience, my wx expertise are almost zero (didn't train myself on the pmdg 777 wx as well). But I know it should reflect clouds with rain. Anyway, I appreciate your assistance in finding a solution for this issue.

• Aerosoft

Hello all,

I realized that the weather radar only reflects the weather above ground areas, and nothing above the sea.

Mmm that is not correct. What the earth looks like does not matter to the weather radar, it will still detect rain. But of course ground reflections from the sea are not as strong as from earth so ground clutter over the sea is rare.

If you have any PMDG product I would suggest ASN as weather engine as I suspect they will only support that one. If you have not any weather engine will do but I am partial to FS Global Weather as it gives me great results, works flawlessly with our busses and is very light on resources.

Mmm that is not correct. What the earth looks like does not matter to the weather radar, it will still detect rain. But of course ground reflections from the sea are not as strong as from earth so ground clutter over the sea is rare.

If you have any PMDG product I would suggest ASN as weather engine as I suspect they will only support that one. If you have not any weather engine will do but I am partial to FS Global Weather as it gives me great results, works flawlessly with our busses and is very light on resources.

thank you Mathijs, updated my ASN, and used it with the Airbus, and it worked as it should. I am sure it was my configuration mistake, keeping the tilt at -15 degrees.

• Aerosoft

thank you Mathijs, updated my ASN, and used it with the Airbus, and it worked as it should. I am sure it was my configuration mistake, keeping the tilt at -15 degrees.

With that tilt you better look up to see what you might fly into! While climbing you might fly into the wildest weather without ever seeing it.

If you like to do it all manual check page 62 of Manual Vol 4 for the advised tilt settings.

post-43-0-70893000-1416247765_thumb.png

Archived