Extreme delay during manual flight

EpicWin

Hello
When i move joystick to the left it sometime took more than 1-2 seconds until aircraft actualy starts turning. With this delay its almost imposible to manual fly the airplane. I have everything set-up according to manual but there is still extreme delay.

Recently i found that in FMGC is option where you can disable FBW, this actualy removes the delay but it only works on ground. In air, with this option on, airplane cannot be controled.

1.) Is there a way to make FBW off even in flight but with control surfaces working?
2,) If not, how to reduce this delay? Its really not flyable, atleast for me, airplane responses are too late

Thanks! ;)

That delay is not a normal behavier. The Bus has no delay between sidestick inputs and course changes. Did you calibrate your joystick exactly? Is there any slope set in FSUIPC? <br />

Its not the Airbus, its your device!<br />

<br />

<br />

Best regards/schöne Grüße<br />

Werner

I am not sure if you mean delay between stick input and anything happening at all or that the plane is simply moving quite slowly initially to inputs. Remember this is a large heavy plane with a lot of inertia. You are not going to be able to throw it around like a fighter.

In manual flight I find the plane does respond quickly to stick inputs but naturally there are no snap movements and if I reverse an input the inertia means that there is a delay before it reacts which does make lining up with a runway tricky.

But look at Youtube videos of an A coming in to land manually and the pilot is making a lot of stick inputs constantly to keep the a/c lined up. How well this is modelled it's not for me to say as a non-pilot.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Most of the Youtube videos are perfect examples of how not to hand fly an Airbus.

Lets say you do not have your hand on the stick and then you make an input. This initial input will take 0.3 sec for the computers the give a signal to the aileron or elevator. After that there is an around 0.13 sec delay between input and the time to computer commands a surface to move. Ofcourse now it takes again an 0.1 sec for the plane to react to the new control surface position.

All the while the FBW computers are trying to cancel out any external input on the aircraft attitude like wind and turb. If the pilot also tries to correct for this you are quickly getting into the domain of overcontrolling and this is what you see many a times on youtube and for me in the RW. It is very difficult for a pilot to do less stick inputs because it is sort of in our DNA because other planes than the Airbus required us to fly like that.

Long story short, less is mostly more when flying an Airbus.

Archived