Kudo's

Now that is one sweet aircraft. Just landed in France on the Step by Step flight. Just loooooove the checklist option, adds a whole layer of realism.

I see VAS use around 650 and that is a very nice surprise for the level of detail.

Thank you for your kind words, Thomas.

Just the other day I landed the A319 in Aerosoft's Thessaloniki X, with Night Environment Greece active. LGTS has a 750 MB VAS "footprint" alone, NE Greece adds some more to it, but "VAS management" - like disabling photoscenery in the sim library - was not needed.

Yours in immersion and sensible VAS figures ...

• Aerosoft

For the next year VAS will be one of the most important things for developers. They all got to understand that their add-on is not the only thing running and should give room to others. If that means not including something it simply should be considered. An aircraft that uses 1100 Mb (as one I saw recently) is one that simply dominated FS.

The biggest problem is that people want more and more detail, as well as deeper and deeper systems simulation.

Add to that more complex weather addons, ground vehicles and AI aircraft.

Developers really try to keep up with demands and even goes beyond the expected, but it´s time for them to realise that other stuff needs resources too within the constraints of FSX.

You buy FSX, add custom Base scenery with hires ground textures (maybe even photorealistic scenery), custom vector layers and mesh. Add to that a complex weather engine with high res clouds.

Then You buy addon Aircraft that are really complex, with Weatherradar and displays capable of simulating the real aircraft almost exactly. 3D lights, Hires textures, tons of polygons, because also the cabin and cargo area should be modelled.

Now start to add addon airports with moving vehicles, hires textures, volumetric grass, birds, people, trains etc etc..

At the same time You crank up cloud draw distance, autogen and water detail, because Your PC has little problem running this smooth.

All this is expected to run on a flightsim platform that now is almost 8 years old !

Developed before anyone knew if the the futurer would be ever faster CPU's and/or multicore processors.

64bit applications at that time was only a dream, at least for the Home PC and games.

I think most of us agree that the addon aircraft that are released today are way ahead of those released shortly after FSX was released, both visually and systems simulation wise.

Just compare the old Twin Otter with the new Extended one. Or the PMDG 747-400 with the PMDG 777 and I´m sure we all can see the difference.

The same holds true with scenery, using either photoreal scenery or Orbx base with Orbx Vector.

We also now see volumtric grass, leaves that moves on trees, birds flying around and alot of other animations.

When FSX then quits with an Out of memory error, then we get puzzeled.

Normally we blame the addon last installed.

If You allready got a highend airport and then starts to fly a freshly installed highend aircraft and get the OOM, then You blame the aircraft.

If vice versa, then You blame the scenery.

Fact is none of those are to blame, and to be honest - not even Microsoft is to blame, cause they probably never planned the lifespan of FSX to be 8 years and never thought that addon developers would come that far with added details.

What puzzles most is that fact that You can have pretty high FPS when the OOM occurs, since Your PC might be vary powerfull, but regardless how much overhead Your PC have, the VAS limit is always in play.

I know that on the Aerososft Airbus series (A320/321 + A318/319) alot of developement time has been used to keep them very resource friendly

I think that in the future developers for both aircraft and sceneries needs to be much more aware about the footprint on VAS of their particular project.

While P3D V2 is much better at handling VAS, the same limit still exist, so developers might be able to add some more details, but we should not expect too much.

For both flightsim versions (FSX & P3D V2), it´s also important to realise the importance of setting reasonable display settings within the sim, regardless if Your PC seems to be able to run smooth with even higher settings.

Just a small trick if Your at the border of an OOM....

Since FSX isn´t very good at freeing VAS that it has used, simply save the flight just before starting the approach and then re-load it. That way You will re-deem some lost VAS.

Finn

Fact is none of those are to blame, and to be honest - not even Microsoft is to blame, cause they probably never planned the lifespan of FSX to be 8 years and never thought that addon developers would come that far with added details.

Finn

That is so true. In fact I would say the only one to blame is us users/consumers of FSX. We keep using this "ancient" platform and buying add-ons for it, developers will keep developing for it.

What we really need to do is make the leap and move over to a platform that will take advantage of today's hardware and 64bit capabilities, ie X-Plane, and make it profitable for Aerosoft and others.

Here's hoping for Airbus X for X-Plane!! ;)

Just done my first A319 flight. Went down to Jersey from Gatwick in the darkness. Greased the landing. The FLARE mode is much more subtle now than before. Looking forward to many more A319/A318 flights to come.

I'm not sure whats happenings with my a318/19.... After engine start is complete and the parking brake is on...the aircraft just wants to taxi forward while the throttle is idle...although the aircraft doesn't move, the effect of it slowing down is present in the VC and it just jitters around everywhere...my gross weight for the flight I did was only 54600KG. Would the plane at this weight do such things?

• Aerosoft

I'm not sure whats happenings with my a318/19.... After engine start is complete and the parking brake is on...the aircraft just wants to taxi forward while the throttle is idle...although the aircraft doesn't move, the effect of it slowing down is present in the VC and it just jitters around everywhere...my gross weight for the flight I did was only 54600KG. Would the plane at this weight do such things?

Please don't spam a complete unrelated topic. Your issue has been discussed elsewhere already.

Archived