fsx screen problem

mathias27

hello members

I do not know what it is but when I press esc, and I come back in one game I see only grass and shadows of airplanes or sometimes just black screen or if I'm flying the game crashes
does anyone know what this is and how I can fix this?

greetings matti :help_s:

do I have these add-ons

mega airport zurich 2012
mega airport barcelona
germantown 3 airports
my traffic 2013
mega airport brussels
airbus x extended

my hardware

MB: z87p

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600 mhz hyperx blu

video card: GA-GT640 2 GB DDR5

HD: samsung SSD 840 evo 120 GB

windows 7 64 bit

and sp1 and sp2 in the game

Make a backup first on your fsx.cfg

If you've got Vista/Win 7: C:\Users\(Your Windows User Name)\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Note that you'll have to tick on 'show hidden files/folders' under folder options. Otherwise you'll not be able to see these hidden files.

I'm this far but fsx is not between attachicon.gifjgyug.PNG

Pick the folder that was named as your computer name, not the Default folder.

Mine was: C:\Users\Khyle\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

This is what you did: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

Careful... Bojote's setting increase memory use and as this sounds like a memory problem that would be the wrong way to go.

Increase memory use? By how much? Can you explain it to me? I didn't know that cuz every tweaks in different sites are the same as Bojote's, thanks for letting me know tho, so how do you tweak your fsx.cfg? What or where is the best tweaking guide?

• Deputy Sheriffs

All those tweaks around the internet including Bojote's tweaks must be handled with extreme care. As long as you do not 100% understand (technically) what this or that tweak does and how it behaves on YOUR individual system, simply leave it! I did many tests with various tweaks from Bojote and others like NickN on Avsim, who very well explained what happens with those variuos tweaks, and to be honest I couldn't see any significant difference. The problem is that you need to setup a testbed to exactly see any difference. But 99% of all users "tweak" something, install a new addon, "tweak" again, install another addon ...... So most of the so called "performance boosts" ar simply placebo.

In fact there is only one mandatory "tweak" (in fact it s a bugfix): the line HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the fsx.cfg. Everything else depends on the settings in FSX.

You can't get more fps with a slow CPU and sliders in FSX set to "high" by applying "tweaks".

Another "tweak" to get a bit more fps (around 10% on my system) is to run FSX in fullscreen mode.

Another "tweak" to get a bit more fps (around 10% on my system) is to run FSX in fullscreen mode.

I agree completly with you about HIGHMEMFIX=1, but from my own experience, fullscreen mode is not necessarily a FPS boost. I tend to get slightly more FPS in windowed mode for example, so it seems to be some computer-specific (or maybe sim-setup specific) thing.

@mathias27: What are your settings? As Mathijs pointed out earlier your problem sounds a lot like a memory issue, so maybe some of your settings are too high for your machine.

• Aerosoft

Increase memory use? By how much? Can you explain it to me? I didn't know that cuz every tweaks in different sites are the same as Bojote's, thanks for letting me know tho, so how do you tweak your fsx.cfg? What or where is the best tweaking guide?

That fully depend on what tweaks are done. If you increase the range objects are seen at (a common tweak) you need more memory. If you reduce stutters by increasing buffer size you use more memory. In fact nearly ALL tweaks increase memory use, that's the reasoning behind the way they are supposed to work.

I use the highmem tweak and nothing more, almost all people who use FSX professionally do that btw for the simple reason that most tweaks are snake oil. If you spend a whole evening tweaking your sim you WANT it to be faster and you tend to see it faster. Here is a nice statistic.... 17% of support tickets we handle are solved by resetting the FSX.cfg (and setting the highmem tweak). We see the strangest stuff, tweaks that made sense for FSX 1.0 but that are utterly useless in FSX SP2. There is so much nonsense being written. If people feel that tweaking the sim helps, fine, so much the better for them. But for ANY problem you got the first step should be to go back to a clean FSX.cfg (plus highmem tweak).

Btw, on every system I ever seen windowed mode (even with the same res) is faster than full screen. But of course there might be systems that proof me wrong!

That fully depend on what tweaks are done. If you increase the range objects are seen at (a common tweak) you need more memory. If you reduce stutters by increasing buffer size you use more memory. In fact nearly ALL tweaks increase memory use, that's the reasoning behind the way they are supposed to work.

I use the highmem tweak and nothing more, almost all people who use FSX professionally do that btw for the simple reason that most tweaks are snake oil. If you spend a whole evening tweaking your sim you WANT it to be faster and you tend to see it faster. Here is a nice statistic.... 17% of support tickets we handle are solved by resetting the FSX.cfg (and setting the highmem tweak). We see the strangest stuff, tweaks that made sense for FSX 1.0 but that are utterly useless in FSX SP2. There is so much nonsense being written. If people feel that tweaking the sim helps, fine, so much the better for them. But for ANY problem you got the first step should be to go back to a clean FSX.cfg (plus highmem tweak).

Btw, on every system I ever seen windowed mode (even with the same res) is faster than full screen. But of course there might be systems that proof me wrong!

Thank you very much Mathijs! I respect all what you said.... BTW Can I add one more tweak: DisablePreload=1, after applying HIGHMEMFIX tweak? I run FSX in windowed mode and it's maximized. My FSX crashed last time when I switched to fullscreen mode!

Thanks again,

Khyle

• Deputy Sheriffs

DisablePreload=1 isn't a tweak, it is just a permanent setting not to load the default flight on startup. Just saves time.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Switching from windowed to full screen should not cause a crash.

Matti, I know it's drastic, but as Mathijs noted in post 16, I'd say it's time for removing all add-ons and then FSX (using the Control Panel Programs and Features tool of course). Never delete anything by just deleting the folder on the hard drive. Then a reboot and defrag (unless you have an SSD). When you're doing the reinstalls, it's best to have your antivirus turned off and install everything into a separate folder off the drive root and as Administrator. Don't be afraid to ask for help if any of this is a mystery to you. Once base FSX is installed, reboot and open/close FSX, then reinstall each of the two service packs with a reboot and open/close of FSX between each SP. Try out all the things that made your FSX crash before adding any add-ons. If you have FSX Accelerated, you don't have to worry about the service packs.

• Aerosoft

Thank you very much Mathijs! I respect all what you said.... BTW Can I add one more tweak: DisablePreload=1, after applying HIGHMEMFIX tweak? I run FSX in windowed mode and it's maximized. My FSX crashed last time when I switched to fullscreen mode!

Thanks again,

Khyle

But that's the same as this:

post-43-0-79144800-1403428286_thumb.png

Archived