Descent Preparation

chumley

I have the 'Pause before TOD' set on my Airbus configuration.

I haven't flown the Airbus for some months until recently but when I did I noticed that the Pause is triggered somewhere in the region of 120nm from the calculated TOD and immediately after releasing the Pause the descent preparation checklist is conducted.

this is obviously incorrect and may be the result of poor management on my part but if it is I'm not sure what it is. I do know that as I get close to this stage I am in the habit of assigning a Star and Approach and wondered if this may be the cause but then surely the insertion of some planning should make for the recalculation of TOD.

Any thoughts?

OK - the lack of others having a similar issue or at least admitting to or recognising it must point toward user error.

No idea what is causing it and frankly not about to start searching for the needle in a haystack. I have plenty of experience with this aircraft and didn't have this issue before the latest upgrade.

Will continue to use checklists but will not 'start down' until I am ready not when some misguided person indicates it is time to consider descending. Makes the pause on descent redundant.

I'm sure all will agree that 200+ nautical miles is a very long and slow descent and completely unrealistic as is the flightdeck chappies getting a bit prematurely excited and rhyming off the checks

Hi,

there are two "pause options" one app. 10 NM before the calculated TOD and one at the next waypoint. Maybe you choose the wrong option? The DESCENT PREP CL will start 9 NM before TOD and a "distance countdown" to this point is displayed on the infobar. So please check. If you still have that problems then it is something related to the MCDU TOD calculation on your system.......

Regards,

Hanse

Archived