Opspec B043,B343 B044

This Question is for all the RW Dx out there. At my 121 carrier we have several ways of doing international flights.

1. Enroute/RSV - 5% + RSV - 30Min (Normal TATL and some Asian Flts) -What opspec is this?

2. B43 RSV = SP/RSV - NR + RSV - 45Min (South American flts)

3 B43 RSV = SP/RSV - 5% + RSV - 45min (Only seen this on ICN RTE)

4. B044 = RRLS

I realize b43 rsv is for Class II airspace. How can I tell what routes are Class II on a map.

Can you explan the differences of these and how to chose these opspecs over b044

Why does ICN have 5% sp rsv and S/AMER rtes have No SP/RSV

When do I Choose e/Rte 5% or B43

Can you help me setup a Fuel Profile for PFPX for B043 and B343?

Thank you for your insight on my Question!!

The whys, you really need to address to your dispatch training group, or dive into Chapter 11 of the Flight Manual Part I.

PFPX doesnt recognize Class II airspace, so it cant correctly support B043 or B343.

Unforntunately Im not a dispatcher yet, but I have my License. Im still waiting for an opening to come available. So unforturnately I cant ask my training group yet. In my DX Class we only went over the basic"s to pass the written and Practical/Oral.

Hi,

Let's start with Class I vs. Class II navigation. Class I - ground based nav (VOR, DME, etc). Class II - satellite navigation (GPS, RNAV).

The easy way of looking at it is that Class I is over land (where there are ground based nav aids) and Class II is overwater. This is a VERY oversimplified explanation, but it is accurate. Each carrier's OPSPECS will define how that airline will use both Class I and Class II navigation.

For example, when I was at Pinnacle, we were Class II authorized; however, we had to remain within 150nm of a ground based navaid. This was specific to our airline. At Republic, we are Class I authorized only, even though we have all the equipment on the Embraer aircraft we operate to do Class II. Our Caribbean routes (KCLT-MBPV) specifically, has to remain within 50nm of shoreline. There is no requirement for us to be within 50nm of a land based navaid. This is different than the FAR requirements, as they require that you remain within the service volume of a VOR at all times during the flight.

If you are at, say AA, you would need to look at their OPSPECS and do your planning based on what they permit you to do. There really isn't a definition of Class I vs. Class II airspace, except that which I've outlined above. If you are planning an international flight overwater and you are using ETOPS, you must have Class II NAV onboard...

PFPX can't possibly facilitate this kind of detail, since every airline is going to be different in it's definitions of what you can and cannot do Class I or Class II and therefore, it is impossible to program that into the program. This, therefore, requires a certain amount of "brain power" on your part, to apply your OpSpecs to what you are permitted to do. For example, if you are constrained to B43 to certain areas, your OpSpecs should provide specific guidance over which areas/routes B43 applies. As for the 5%, I think you may be refering to OpSpec B343, which permits the 5% fuel allowance instead of the 10% under Flag Rules FAR121.647 or B43 (10% Class II). B44 cannot be combined with B343 in most cases. Can you see where this gets confusing very quickly?

The point here, if you wish to plan according to your OpSpecs, PFPX permits you to modify parameters to do this; however, you must follow OpSpecs guidance on how (and where) B43, B343 and B50 are applied.

Clear as mud?

PM me if questions.

Merry Christmas

Dave Lamb

Flight Dispatch Offficer

Republic Airlines/KIND

Dave, and Scott

Class I - within the Operational Service Volume (OSV) of a Ground-Based Navaid

Class II - outside the OSV. If you are going across the North Atlantic, youre still in the OSV for the first 130 NMs or so

(Ref; OpSpecs A002)

B043 = 10% reserves for the time in Class II airspace (automatically calculated by the engine) plus 45 minute domestic reserves, dest wx must be forecast above mins

B044 = flag redispatch (and you cant combine it with anything), dest wx can be W0X0F as long as extended overwater flight

B343 = 5% of entire flight time with 30 minutes flag hold (straight B343), forecast wx at/above mins at destination, flight has to send a pos report

B343 + B043 = 5% of Class Two with 30 minutes flag hold, forecast wx at/above mins at destination, flight has to send a pos report

So basic B343 is calculable by PFPX, but you cant combine B044 with B343. Only UAL and AAL, have B343 that I am aware of. DAL doesnt, and neither does FDX, I dont think UPS has it either. The FAA is no longer entertaining applications for it - and that is )^(*E$()*%$^$^.

Hi All,

Long time away from the PFPX posting but I wanted to weigh in on this topic!

Class II airspace plotting is an idea I proposed over a year ago for this very reason. CG and I mutually decided to put that feature on hold however. After the Christmas rush calms down, I'm going to start working with him on trying to get it implemented.

Jeppesen's jetplan.com has the B043X command which plots the time and converts it to a fuel figure, however it cannot do B343/B043 combo last I checked. I know a lot of companies have to either get a class II analysis ran by jetplan or manually plot it and override the reserves in the flight planning program. My idea is going to try to combine the both.

Gary

Archived