Short Trip Cruise Altitude Calculation Still Wrong and Forced

Hi ,

Using the latest version 1.11 and already reported this error via both ticket system and this forum (while testing the hotfix) .

PFPX is "still" forcing me to fly low and this is not changable !

Also the ATC Flight Plan is wrong , for ADB-AYT PFPX is using (and forcing me) to use FL270 . But the ATC flight plan indicates that the airway is UN135 ... This airway is avilable only above FL290 so FL270 on UN135 is not allowed .

As I stated earlier this is not acceptable , if I want to fly low I can change the level myself , there is no need to be forced by the software ... This function must be user editable , otherwise it is useless and this effects overall use of PFPX for domestic/short haul flights :(

You can see my older post here : http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/74773-pfpx-hotfix-1101-available/#entry534315

And for the ticket I opened the reply was simple as Fixed at next release but I see that nothing fixed .

Any suggestions to overcome the low level forcing or and input from Christian will be great . ( I know he is busy with Real World Ops , so do I )

Best wishes

Out of interest which data provider are you using for the AIRAC?

EDIT: the Navigraph database shows a lower limit of FL290 on UN135 yet PFPX is assigning a lower level than that.

Hi Stephen,

I'm using Aerosoft Navdata Pro with latest Airac update ... And as you said this is not related with the problem :(

Tried several ways to force back PFPX for upper levels , nothing worked . Even with an empty 800WL , software forces me to fly FL270 ! This is not reflecting Boeing FPPM :(

Also the ATC Flight Plan is wrong , for ADB-AYT PFPX is using (and forcing me) to use FL270 . But the ATC flight plan indicates that the airway is UN135 ... This airway is avilable only above FL290 so FL270 on UN135 is not allowed .

You know you can just change the UN135 to N135, thereby using the lower airway right?

I've heard that even real world flight planning and dispatch programs have their quirks that the dispatcher himself has to correct. So stop being lazy, a little human work wont kill you :)

Hi Stephen,

I'm using Aerosoft Navdata Pro with latest Airac update ... And as you said this is not related with the problem :(

Tried several ways to force back PFPX for upper levels , nothing worked . Even with an empty 800WL , software forces me to fly FL270 ! This is not reflecting Boeing FPPM :(

I can only report my findings of quite a number of flights now with the NGX -800. The fuel figures are accurate and plan altitudes have been pretty much spot on giving a short CRZ level on the shorter trip.

How this equates to a real 737 and the Boeing FPPM I couldn't say.

You know you can just change the UN135 to N135, thereby using the lower airway right?

I've heard that even real world flight planning and dispatch programs have their quirks that the dispatcher himself has to correct. So stop being lazy, a little human work wont kill you :)

Did you read my post carefully before writing this sir ?

FYI , I'm an airline flight dispatcher ( ICAO licenced , EU-OPS Carrier ) and I'm using the real world software you mentioned ( currently LIDO ver 5.72 ) ... Be sure we are not correcting every domestic flight we dispatch 'cause our software is not "forcing" us to fly low with an empty aircraft !

And again for your kind information , I'm not talking about correcting UN135 to N135 in the FPL MSG !

Safe flights

For really interested users , here are two flight plans ...

1. Empty Aircraft , offered level is FL390 , cruise time aprx. 15 mins.

OFP        TEST/22    22NOV LTBJ/ ADB   LTAI/ AYT  ELEVATION     176
7        TCJFF  (104.0)     2100/2113   2204/2200  FMS
                        EST ..../....   ..../....  COST INDEX      3
                        CTOT     ....              ROUTE     ADBAYT3
ATS C/S     TEST        ACT ..../....   ..../....  TTL DIST      291
                                                   SPEED        ECON
       LOAD     ZFW   ADDFU           LW     TOW   AVGE FF      2093
EST       0   43501      0L   MAL  66088   79015   AVGE WC      P010
PLN       0   43501      0L   PLN  45569   47357

ACT  ......  ......               ......  ......   TKOF ALTN .......
--------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------
FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE                                                   
-LTBJ/34R F390 KULAR1E KULAR UN131 KOZLU LTAI/36C
TRIP        1788  00.51               .....  .....
MINCONT      153  00.05  LTAY         .....  .....
ALTN        1029  00.27  LTAY         .....  .....  ....
FINAL RES    886  00.30               .....  .....
PLNTOF      3856  01.54               .....  ..... THREE EIGHT FIVE
DIFF      ......  .....
PLNTOF     .....  .....  (CORRECTED)
EXTRA     ......  .....  POSS  16808C .....  .....
TOF       ......  .....               .....  .....
TAXI        ....           156/00.13
BLOCK     ......         TCAP  20820  .....  REM FUEL ...... AT ....
--------------------------------------------------------------------

2. 17200 Kgs Payload ( 189 Pax x 90 kgs inc. bags ) , offered level is FL330 , cruise time aprx. 15 mins.

OFP        TEST/22    22NOV LTBJ/ ADB   LTAI/ AYT  ELEVATION     176
6        TCJFF  (104.0)     2100/2113   2204/2200  FMS
                        EST ..../....   ..../....  COST INDEX      3
                        CTOT     ....              ROUTE     ADBAYT3
ATS C/S     TEST        ACT ..../....   ..../....  TTL DIST      291
                                                   SPEED        ECON
       LOAD     ZFW   ADDFU           LW     TOW   AVGE FF      2580
EST   17200   60701      0L   MAL  66088   79015   AVGE WC      P008
PLN   17200   60701      0L   PLN  63285   65496

ACT  ......  ......               ......  ......   TKOF ALTN .......
FLIGHT PLAN ROUTE                                                   
-LTBJ/34R F330 KULAR1E KULAR UN131 KOZLU LTAI/36C
TRIP        2211  00.51               .....  .....
MINCONT      188  00.05  LTAY         .....  .....
ALTN        1243  00.26  LTAY         .....  .....  ....
FINAL RES   1153  00.30               .....  .....
PLNTOF      4795  01.53               .....  ..... FOUR SEVEN NINE
DIFF      ......  .....
PLNTOF     .....  .....  (CORRECTED)
EXTRA     ......  .....  POSS   2803L .....  .....
TOF       ......  .....               .....  .....
TAXI        ....           156/00.13
BLOCK     ......         TCAP  20820  .....  REM FUEL ...... AT ....
--------------------------------------------------------------------

And for both flight plans , I'm able to change the offered levels ... If I want to fly lower , I can reduce it manually , no need to be forced by the software ! This is what we do for real world planning , our software only "offers" the best solution it finds but we give the final decision according to several factors .

Stephen , Boeing FPPM does not offers or forces low levels for short flights . Boeing mostly suggests "shortest cruise flight time" , so basic theory is to climb to the maximum possible level , make the minimum cruise -level- flight , then start a continuous descend (which is not possible always due to ATC , company policies , in flight meal/drink service etc) .

The older version of PFPX was correct according to Boeing specs and FPPM . But unfortunately Christian wanted to make a favor to users complaining about higher levels for short distances , so he altered the code but now the software is not allowing us to correct this "favor" . ( In my opinion that users had to change the levels to a lower one accoring to their wishes , forcing all of the users is not the correct path )

Anyway still waiting a fix , a solution , a walk-around from developers or experienced users .

Best wishes

Hmmm I guess I should have read your post thrice, I now see what you are talking about, sorry! Apparently nothing I try can change the cruise altitude, weird issue indeed. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding with this issue and the what the developer thinks you are talking about.

we may maybe not having the same manuals ....

the FPPM in the chapter 2 simplified planning is giving a low FL up to a trip of 350 nm.

the qrh in QI 11 all engine flight is giving 400 nm for the start of higher FL.

i may add i never dispatched the 738 nor used Lido in my dispatch career but a lot of different others 737 and for a such short flight we never go that high as the OP done so different SOPs certainly.

Hi Philippe ,

Yes , we may have different manuals ... Here is basically what I have for Short Trip Cruise Altitude

fppm_01.png

FPPM for CFM56-7B26 / 738W / JAA ( Also CFM56-7B26 SFP indicates the same table )

Safe flights

Hi Phil ,

Definetely we are refering to completely different manuals :) Maybe your coppies are outdated for 737's or changed by manufacturer on request of the customer ... But my docs do not advise low levels for Short Trip Distances .

I have all the valid documents and performance data for NG's ( we operate a fleet of 700,700WL,800,800WL,800WL SFP ) . I'm dispatching over sixty Boeing aircraft on my shifts, most of them do domestic short hauls and never had an issue with selecting the optimum flight levels . Also never heard a word from the pilots flying that routes , in some sectors we have ATC restrictions but that is another issue as you know .

BTW , My QRH (PI Sec 11) gives FL340 for 70 tons / FL350 for 65 tons (which is also offered by my planning software as you can see above)

Anyway , returning to topic again ;

When we will be able to modify the flight levels PFPX forces us to use :) I simply do not want to use the "favor" Christian did for some users , give us back the old and correct flight levels . ( Then we can explain interested users how to select the optimum levels for a route )

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Checked version 1.12 ...

Nothing changed , SHORT TRIP CRUISE ALTITUDE CALCULATION is still wrong and I did not get any reply to my support ticket :(

This is not the way to give support to customers , at least we deserve a reply from the "team" or the "developer" !

Archived