Alternate airport required when not needed

After planning a flight from KLGA to KORD, PFPX would not give me the option to dispatch without a destination alternate listed. The forecast weather at KORD at arrival, which was loaded into PFPX was better than 2000 ft AGL ceiling, 3 miles visibility, and the flight time was less than 6 hours. Thus, KORD met all the requirements under US FARs for dispatch without an alternate, but PFPX had no way for me to do this as it kept insisting I needed one. If it proves too difficult to have PFPX take the TAF into account when determining the need for an alternate, it might be helpful to add an option to allow the user override the alternate requirement and choose dispatch without an alternate at all times.

Sheldon Paprota

The same thing is happening to me. Where are you supposed to select the 0 for number of alternates. I get two choices: 1 or 2 alternates for a 1 hour flight to airport with VFR weather forecast for next 24 hours.

Norman

I would have if I could have. The lowest number of alternates I could choose from was one and the alternate tab was red saying "1 required." PFPX gave me no choice. Are you talking about another area in PFPX I havent encountered yet? I've read through the manual, but still learning my way around

Sheldon Paprota

Make sure that your fuel rules permit. Go to the Domestic Fuel Policy, and insure that for Alternate Fuel - If No Alternate required "Not Authorized" is NOT checked, AND insure that you have 0 in the required quantity for the alternate fuel.

dougsnow is correct it is your fuel policy that determines if you can select no alternates.... I was using Australian Jet regulations

Roy

Thanks! That was the answer to my problem. However trying to fix it created a new one. I can't seem to change the US Domestic fuel profile to allow for no alternates. Anytime I make the necessary cjanges and hit save nothing happens and it reverts back to default. The same thing happens when I try to create a new fuel profile - it does not get saved.

Sheldon Paprota

Thanks Christian, guess I just have to wait for the update. Yes, you can dispatch without alternate under US-Domestic rules. Under FAR 121.619 you can dispatch without an alternate if the forecast weather 1 hour before and after ETA show a ceiling 2000ft or greater AGL and visibility is at least 3 miles.

Maybe PFPX needs to change the US-Domestic policy profile. If we users try to change it (even after the saving-fix is done) It will mean that we users will have to over-write the existing policy or create a duplicate.

Do European and Australian require alternates for all flights or does it depend on distance and destination weather?

There is a work-around for this: In the "US Domestic.policy" file which is in C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data\FuelPolicy

in the "[FUEL]" section

change the line "AllowNoAltn=N"

to AllowNoAltn=Y

Then you can set number of alternates to NONE when planning the flight.

Archived