Reflected Light

Todd

I'm seeing a new style of reflected light on the exterior of recent payware aircraft such as the A320 and Otter. It's gorgeous. How can I replIcate this on my own repaints for other aircraft? Is it a texture or a function of the model itself?

Thanks!

Todd

Thank you. I'm seeing a reflection group in the paint kit, is that it? Looks like a standard gloss alpha channel?

Hi Todd!

If you want to control the strength of the environment reflection is displayed on the aircrafts surface, that reflection channel is your way. It sits in the very first layers of a paintkit map and is labeled "reflections".

This is were you can edit it. The final rest place of this is the alpha channel. So simply edit the reflections like you want, then make a duplicate of that map, flatten and copy it to the alpha channel of the first map.

This is the fastest way you can go.

Hi Todd!

If you want to control the strength of the environment reflection is displayed on the aircrafts surface, that reflection channel is your way. It sits in the very first layers of a paintkit map and is labeled "reflections".

This is were you can edit it. The final rest place of this is the alpha channel. So simply edit the reflections like you want, then make a duplicate of that map, flatten and copy it to the alpha channel of the first map.

This is the fastest way you can go.

Thank you Stefan, I will do that. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I'm referring to the highlight of the horizon and darker tone of ground and sky reflected on the shadow side of the airbus in the picture, not the traditional mirror type reflection that we've seen in FS9 and X. With this in mind, will I be able to apply this to other aircraft, or is that something that has to be called out in the texture mapping process? Thanks again.

post-772-0-83089500-1375051569_thumb.jpg

Applying this to other aircraft is technically possible, but i not recommend it.

The reason for this is not only the exact special texture name needed (which differes between each developer and is freely appliable), but also the strength of the effect.

So simply copying it, may destroy the look of another aircraft. The strength of the effects in the models i did for example Airbus and Twotter is specially adjusted for

this situation.

Applying this to other aircraft is technically possible, but i not recommend it.

The reason for this is not only the exact special texture name needed (which differes between each developer and is freely appliable), but also the strength of the effect.

So simply copying it, may destroy the look of another aircraft. The strength of the effects in the models i did for example Airbus and Twotter is specially adjusted for

this situation.

Is this called the Fresnel Ramp? And does it need to be provided for in the 3D program, and not something that can be added as a texture later? Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand this. And whatever you did with the A320 and Twin Otter, it's fabulous. Realisitic lighting is finally in FSX. Guess it still has a few tricks up it's sleeve :)

Archived