Engine sounds are not accurate!

Not to be picky, but there is an issue with the engine sound. The problem is that the engine "whine" is always present over the "hoo" of the engines, even at idle. I recently took a flight on a A320 CFM sitting ahead of the engine to confirm this. I am no expert, but the "whine" seems to start in real life at about 50-60% N1. I don't mean to be a stickler about this, but even the PA A320 freeware has this and it just gets annoying to me sometimes. It would be nice if you could fix this issue! Thanks!

I'm afraid I would disagree. The "whine"/buzzsaw noise is created by the blade tips going supersonic and this sound is only propagated upwind. The 2 links below 1st in front of the engine has the sound, and the 2nd behind the engine does not.

I am only making an assumption but as we fly from the cockpit that is where the AEX sounds have been made to replicate and as from the next link you can tell the whine/buzzsaw noise is not nearly as noticable as the ambient sounds in the cockpit are from cooling fans for all the electronics, hopefully one of the sound devs would like to comment.

Cheers

Pete

I recently took a flight on a A320 CFM sitting ahead of the engine to confirm this. I am no expert, but the "whine" seems to start in real life at about 50-60% N1.

Tried yesterday on 2 flights to check for this sound 'inaccuracy'. Unfortunately it's simply impossible to check if the whine starts between 50-60% N1 because you never operate in this range on ground.

The only time where the engine operates in this range is when applying thrust for take off and the engine rapidly accelerates from 50% through 60% to take off thrust.

I'll try to check again in 2 days and I will try to set take off thrust more slowly than usual.

Tried yesterday on 2 flights to check for this sound 'inaccuracy'. Unfortunately it's simply impossible to check if the whine starts between 50-60% N1 because you never operate in this range on ground.

The only time where the engine operates in this range is when applying thrust for take off and the engine rapidly accelerates from 50% through 60% to take off thrust.

I'll try to check again in 2 days and I will try to set take off thrust more slowly than usual.

Right, in my experience, there was never a whine during taxi, the lowest power setting that the whine was present was when the engine power was stabilizing for takeoff, (I have been told, around 60% N1)

In the meantime check these videos, they cleary show where the 'whine' starts and prove that the whine isn't there at very low RPM. I'd say the whine starts at approx 40-45% N1

a very nice example with slow acceleration to 50% 0:42 (where the engines are stabilized before advancing the thrustlevers into the flex detent)

same here at 4:50, the 50% N1 point at 5:05-5:10

Just tried to establish at which N1 the 'whine' starts....surprsingly early. Idle N1 is around 19-20%N1 and increased thrust very slowly to get the A320 moving, and the whine did start much earlier than expected...between and 30-35% N1.

check this for comparison (max N1 to start taxi is just below 40%)

(2:45)

Just tried to establish at which N1 the 'whine' starts....surprsingly early. Idle N1 is around 19-20%N1 and increased thrust very slowly to get the A320 moving, and the whine did start much earlier than expected...between and 30-35% N1.

check this for comparison (max N1 to start taxi is just below 40%)

(2:45)

Wow! I had no idea that the whine started that early in the cockpit. Thanks so much for the finding this out!

Archived