Hello everyone i have just joined this forum.

My hardware is as follows......

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 running at 3.6Ghz

Gigabyte GAX48T Motherboard

Nvidia GTX660 3gig card, (only bought 2 days ago to replace my GTX295)

8 gig of DDR3 dual channel 1333mhz RAM

Windows 7 64bit

Planning on installing an SSD soon.

Your motherboard and processor are a bottle neck for your graphics card and as such it would make far more sense to upgrade first. Which would then have the benefit of allowing you to take full advantage of your graphics card plus any SSD's you may add in the future.

Well it runs fine, when using say Airbus X with Orbx UK scenery and REX2 I get about 30FPS in busy areas and about 55-65FPS at FL360 in clear skies. This is much higher when say flying the default FSX Cessna 172 as I get about 50FPS in busy areas. Fitting the GTX660 has worked wonders for performance so I am happy enough for now.

Hello exeryone, just joined as well, I have lot of enjyment flying AEX, thx for this nice product and to their developpers.

My hardware:

Intel core I7 CPO 87 @2.93 Ghz

RAMP 8Go

Win 7 64b bits

Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

I plan to buy the 680 Graphic card... Expensive :flame_s:

Cheers,

Jean Marc

So, am I the last Unicorn with amd HD equipment? ^_^

I think, an amd HD video card with not less than 2048 Megabytes of dedicated video memory (vRAM) is a good equivalent to, let's say a gtx285, and it's even better than a gtx470. If you like to know more, just ask me via pm.

And, besides all technical details, I wanna gratulate my contemporary Matt to his Field Marshal. How many keyboards did you ruin in the past 15 years? :excellenttext_s:

guys any much different from a hd7850 to gtx660?

In my eyes, the gtx660 and the gtx660ti are almost the same, both provide 2048 Mbytes of vRAM. So, now comes the comparison.

I have been using ATI video cards since more than 10 years, but, Raider is Twix and ATI is amd. Today, I am still using ATI/amd video cards, because this is what I know best since years. My disadvantage is, I have never in my life (!) owned a nvidia card.

But let me take some of my 28 years experience in Personal Computers into the comparison.

gtx660/gtx660ti with 2048 Megabytes vRAM: 192b bus, bandwidth 144,2 GB/s, TDP 140W/150W(ti)

amd HD7850 with 2048 Megabytes vRAM: 256b bus, bandwidth 153,6 GB/s, TDP 130W.

The only thing that you've to find out by your own is, what do you have to pay at your trusted dealer, as this changes from day to day.

And, now I am telling you a little secret, this depends on what product you buy, there are the premium brands, not cheap but (inter)continental leaders, and there is the rest... [i am talking about video cards, of course! ... :D ]

Btw, what is your preferred brand for mainboards?

Well, I have just bought my new custom built PC and guys, I have never seen before such a fast beast! :excellenttext_s:

My set up:

i7 3770K

Asus P8Z77V Deluxe

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB Ram

Asus GTX680

1TB HD OS windows 7 64 bit installed

Samsung 256 GB SSD for flight simulator installed

750W power supply

Andy

PS. For the moment I have reinstalled my 114GB FS9 and I'm curious to see if there is anything that can struggle it :ididit_s: Smoothness is awesome as well. Because I didnt have the hardware before, I've never gave much attention to FSX. I think it's time to install it as well?

I wanna gratulate my contemporary Matt to his Field Marshal. How many keyboards did you ruin in the past 15 years? :excellenttext_s:

Ha, erm, too many? If I go all the way to the start of PC ownership with my humble genuine IBM 286 its got to be somehere around 20-25 keyboards :lol:

Just reading some of the interesting replies, My GTX660 (not the Ti) is the new EVGA superclocked model with 3gig of Vram. I did consider an AMD HD7950 but as I have always used Nvidia I decided to stick with them.

• 1 month later...

I finally did some hardware upgrades so I hope this will run FSX better. I got the following, an Intel Core i5 3570k - An MSi Z77 Mpower mobo and 8 gig of Samsung Green DDR3 1600mhz. I have OC'd the CPU to 4.2ghz and memory to 1866mhz using the same GTX660 card. Also fitted a 750gb Hybrid drive.

Archived