Books

Canterbury

Are there any books that would be helpful for someone who has no experience with computer games or soaring simulators? What equipment is needed? How to proceed. I have done some soaring in the past, but now at 82 I'd like to see if I can get some of the feeling of flying a sailplane without leaving my desk.

A PC capable of running FSX smoothly is required, there should be many recommendations on the web regarding this. There are no special requirements for soaring. For the controls a joystick is required (I'm very happy with the Saitek-PC-Aviator), and I recommend strongly rudder pedals, in particular for gliders.

A large monitor (24" or more, or several monitors) improves wide angle field of view and adds to "immersive" feeling. The lack of wide-angle field of view is one of the most apparent differences in the visual perception for those who know real-world flying.

As you have already real-world gliding experience, there is not much theory to add for simulation. I would do everything as exercised in the past, that will do pretty well, I expect.

bests,

Peter