Wrong course on ILS 04R at Nice

Batman

When flying an ILS approach on rwy 04L at Nice (LFMN, FS9), everything is going alright. But flying an ILS approach on rwy 04R, setting the ILS frequency on 110,70 and the course on 43 or 44, my ND tells me that I fly a course of 43 or 44 indeed, but when I look out of the window I seem to fly a course of about 33. I land at the threshold of the runway and leave this runway immediately in NE direction, ending in the grass. Can anybody tells me what's going wrong?

Hans Hartvelt

The Netherlands

At LFMN the 04R ILS is offset to the runway.

That's what it is like in the real world. ;)

Hello Rafal,

Thank you for answering. But I don't understand what you mean by offset. Can you explain this a little more please?

Hans Hartvelt

The Netherlands

• Developer

Hallo Hans,

the ILS in Nice is not alined with the heading of the runway, there is a offset of 2 Degrees between runway heading and ILS.

You can see that the red/white ILS antenna is not behind the runway, it is left of it.

But, when you follow the ILS you get to the touchdown point, you only need to rotate the aircraft to get it alined with the runway.

Hello Erik and Oliver,

Thank you for answering. It clarifies a lot. Who could think of this? I will use the 04L for landings in future which is the normal procedure as I learned form another post.

Hans Hartvelt

The Netherlands

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/IAC/AD/2/1201_AD-2.LFMN.pdf

PARTICULAR INSTRUCTIONS FOR ARRIVALS PROCEDURES

Due to the limited available space, the airport has dedicated close proximity

parallel runways; south runway for take-offs and north runway for landings

(unlike most airports where the runway adjacent to airport terminals is used

for departures).

For access to the take off runway, taxi routes cross the active landing runway.

For RWY 04 departures access to the runway is complex. If, for any reason,

the crew requests an arrival on RWY 04, it is necessary that taxiway “W” be

free of all traffic and this may require a long delay.