Strange lights effects

YoYo

Hello, I noticed on external view (flyby view) this strange effects of lights:

Katana 1.00

You're not landing.

Turn the landing light off.

Solved.

Why solved ?

No - according air low You must use landing lights till certain flight level (example FL100).

No this issue with similar FSX aircrafts with landing lights.

Why solved ?

No - according air low You must use landing lights till certain flight level (example FL100).

Please provide links to the law. And provide the definition of `landing lights`.

Then explain why the Katana has both landing and taxi lights...

It's common practice for airline pilots to leave their landing lights on until passing 10000ft. This isn't an airliner though, so it's unnecessary to have your landing light on unless you're landing. My flying club (in R/L) gets quite annoyed at people who use the landing lights on their aircraft unneccessarily, as the bulbs tend to go quickly and they're expensive to replace!

Regards,

Tom

Please provide links to the law.

Sorry, use a Google or ask Airline pilot. Sure its GA - but what with approach (like on this screenshots) ?

Your answer is wrong. Which is common air low with using landing lights in FS ? Its a bug, thats all. Dont talk "you dont need it in the air - so no problem" :blink: .

Why this strange effect isnt with default or other addons?

It's common practice for airline pilots to leave their landing lights on until passing 10000ft. This isn't an airliner though, so it's unnecessary to have your landing light on unless you're landing. My flying club (in R/L) gets quite annoyed at people who use the landing lights on their aircraft unneccessarily, as the bulbs tend to go quickly and they're expensive to replace!

Regards,

Tom

Quite right. Airliners use it as an aid to separation in the busy `conveyor belt` approaches where aircraft are stepped, staggered and even horizontally separated. A Katana is not an airliner. Not by any stretch of the imagination!

YoYo is simply wrong that it is Air Law.

IT IS NOT

It is simply a recommended practice when in the vicinity of the airfield. Which is why I said if you're not landing, you don't need it.

For visibility reasons, the aircraft is equipped with omnidirectional strobes to aid the position lights. Landing light only projects forward and down as that is what they are there for. Peripheral visibility is not part of the remit, and for that reason it is NOT LEGISLATED.

And Tom has covered the practical attributes about cost and the cost:benefit analysis. This may change with the more general availability of low-current draw, high-intensity, long-lasting and low-temperature LED lighting, but I haven't seen a Katana with LED landing lights, so it's not a common fitment. (Diamond only introduced Xenon lighting with the much more recent DA-42 twin)

Given that most GA aircraft tend to operate below fl100 / 10000ft, I would be extremely surprised by any law dictating the use of landing lights to be on at all times below 10000ft. Unless of course it were a law with some commercial lobbyist background like osram or any other major producer of bulbs. :D

Andrew

Given that most GA aircraft tend to operate below fl100 / 10000ft, I would be extremely surprised by any law dictating the use of landing lights to be on at all times below 10000ft. Unless of course it were a law with some commercial lobbyist background like osram or any other major producer of bulbs. :D

Andrew

Yeah, commerce in the name of health & safety. Wouldn't that be novel..? ;)

Why solved ?

After takeoff and reaching cruise (whatever height that is) , turn off the landing light, in the vicinity of an airfield, turning it on is advised.

In some aircraft, you may well be required to switch off the landing lights earlier than that for fear of blowing the bulbs. This is certainly more of an issue in older aircraft, I believe. Marcel should be able to confirm this or not, but isn't this the vase in the Do-27?

You can switch them off at 1000' agl after you pull the prop back. I have no manual to refer to right this minute. When is the recommended switch off time if at all mentioned?

Andrew

The only light I have on all the time is the position light. Taxi goes on during taxi and off before entering the runway when I turn on the strobes and landing lights. As soon as I am in the air and take off turns into climb, so to speak, I turn off the landing lights and, depending on the weather, strobes too. Since I usually fly with nice weather this means that shortly after take off I am using the position light only. Strobe and landing lights go on again during approach, when I am withing 10 or sometimes 5 miles of my destination.

I don't think i've ever used the landing light!! On a bright and sunny VFR day you just don't need it, the flashing strobes are enough for you to be seen. The aircraft I fly have an orange anti-collision beacon on the tail too but the Katana doesn't have this fitted. The only time I would ever use the landing light is when i'm landing in limited visability or at night. The landing lights fitted to light aircraft are nowhere near as bright and effective as those fitted to airliners, in the daylight from a distance you would hardly be able to tell whether it was switched on or not!

Regards,

Tom

In some aircraft, you may well be required to switch off the landing lights earlier than that for fear of blowing the bulbs. This is certainly more of an issue in older aircraft, I believe. Marcel should be able to confirm this or not, but isn't this the vase in the Do-27?

You can switch them off at 1000' agl after you pull the prop back. I have no manual to refer to right this minute. When is the recommended switch off time if at all mentioned?

Andrew

The manual will only quote "as required" as there are innumerable combinations of factors that affect the decision if, when and for how long to use the landing lights. Alternator output is also a factor - as you reduce power and rpms for cruise so output reduces. IIRC peak output from the alternator on the Rotax 912S is 250w at 5,800rpm (take off engine rpm). The regulator rectifier peak is 22A.

So you can be close the output limit at cruise if you have more lights on than you need. This is not good for the life of the battery, alternator or regulator. Not to mention blowing fuses and the landing light bulb.

Again, this is different to the Eclipse C-1 which not only has a better output from the engine, but also introduces an additional `pulse` option for both landing and taxi lights meaning they ARE intended to be used as an aid to visibility in flight.