Eclipse?

G-BDEU

Now I know that the Katana has just been released but is there any word on when the Eclipse is going to take flight? I am loving the Katana but feel as if it could use a little bit more oomf! in the form of a TCM IO-240 rather than a go-kart, sorry Rotax powerplant.

Now I know that the Katana has just been released but is there any word on when the Eclipse is going to take flight? I am loving the Katana but feel as if it could use a little bit more oomf! in the form of a TCM IO-240 rather than a go-kart, sorry Rotax powerplant.

The Neanderthal engine version will take some time, I'd guess as much of the `systemology` is not translatable. :D

Snave do you know what Kind of engine the Aerosoft Katana has and if it's the one made in London, Ontario?

Opps. I didn't mean the C1 i just mean the Katana that has already been released by Aerosoft. Is it the one made in London, Onatrio and what engine does it have?

It's just because I know they will make an even better version of the DA20 I'm wanting to have it. laugh.gif

In the meantime, I crossed half of Florida in this neat little Rotax powered machine. It seems like I tamed the engine and it doesn't want to kill me anymore!

Snave do you know what Kind of engine the Aerosoft Katana has and if it's the one made in London, Ontario?

Opps. I didn't mean the C1 i just mean the Katana that has already been released by Aerosoft. Is it the one made in London, Onatrio and what engine does it have?

It's the Austrian-built Rotax - although it does have Canadian connections as Rotax is part of the Bombardier Recreational Products conglomerate.

The Rotax is an example of a modern aero-engine - lightweight (64kilos against the C1's Continental IO-240-B3B at 135 kilos), mostly aluminium construction, air-and-water-cooled and is more like a car engine in that it uses a reduction gearbox to bring the engine speed down to prop rotation speed, where typical aviation engines rotate the prop at crank speed.

It actually isn't the most modern of aero-engines, but it's been around in both certified and non-certified forms for 20 years, has a massive advantage in power-to-weight ratio over the typical aero-engine, and can run on mogas just as easily as avgas.

The Katana is a very different flying experience to the C1 in certain ways, although in others it is very similar.

Snave,

Are you aware of a Diamond plant in London, Ontario..I live near there and Im going to be finishing my PPL soon on a Katana from London and I just wanted to know if it is the same plane that the Aerosoft one is. The plane at the airport near me is a DA 20/100 I believe.

Snave,

Are you aware of a Diamond plant in London, Ontario..I live near there and Im going to be finishing my PPL soon on a Katana from London and I just wanted to know if it is the same plane that the Aerosoft one is. The plane at the airport near me is a DA 20/100 I believe.

The current production model is the DA20-C1, not the Rotax-engined Katana. But the factory still offers, I think, the full refurb on older Katanas and re-engining with the 100-horse Rotax - but whether this is done in Canada, or they box 'em up and ship 'em back to Austria I have no idea. The Canada plant serves all of North America, so it's a major assembly and service centre, but I must admit I thought the Katana's were always rebuilt in Wiener Neustadt, but I've never looked into it.

For the price of a local call you could phone and ask them?

Am I being a total anorak when I say that the engine in this Katana is the 912S? The 912 is only an 80hp powerplant, the S is the 100hp unit.

Sorry for being a pedant. :)

Andrew

Am I being a total anorak when I say that the engine in this Katana is the 912S? The 912 is only an 80hp powerplant, the S is the 100hp unit.

Sorry for being a pedant. :)

Andrew

Pedantry is good. The 912S also denotes the certified version - the 912ULS is the UNcertified version often found in homebuilds, Light Sport Aircraft, and the like...

• 1 month later...