PC Pilot new issue

Ian Pearse

Just received my copy of PC Pilot. Some good stuff this time round. A review of the iFly 737 for FS2004 - looks excellent, and a FSX version is on the way. Beech baron is out from Carenado, as well as a nice Saratoga, but the crowning glory is the A2A Simulations Accu-Sim Spitfire for FSX. Looks superb and sounds it too. It features heavily on the accompanying DVD. Some good tutorials, including an excellent piece on navigation.

Being the Spitfire-phile that I am, Im not 100% convinced by A2A's offering. Something looks all wrong in the nose. If you compair it to a 3 way in the Spitfire Bible (If you dont know what that is, its Morgan and Shacklady's book - Jeffery Quill is quoted as saying its the definative Spitire book!) you will notice it too. Just my 25p worth :lol:

Being the Spitfire-phile that I am, Im not 100% convinced by A2A's offering. Something looks all wrong in the nose. If you compair it to a 3 way in the Spitfire Bible (If you dont know what that is, its Morgan and Shacklady's book - Jeffery Quill is quoted as saying its the definative Spitire book!) you will notice it too. Just my 25p worth :lol:

Sure its not just the canopy makeing it look diffrent?

The A2A spitfire is superb, you really must look after that engine, as everything is simulated, even down to the coolant pressure relief valve ( steam comes out the radiator if left idleing for too long, witch in turn leaves you with a little less coolant, that simulated also)

It also has 3 props you can change ( fixed pitch wooden, constant, and variable metal 3 blade ) and 2 interchangable canopy's... i had it installed before i done a reinstall, and i reccomend it. But any plane with A2a's level of simulation is worth the buy IMO.

You also get a few diffrent versions, from different times.

Theres nothing like taking off knowing full well the engine will sieze at some stage during the flight, as i did'nt fill the tank and then waitin for it to happen...and when it does..even that is simmulated to perfection...1st loose power, then you hear the pistons starting to score the barrel, then yo hear the main bearing crunching....lol..its well fun.

Something I forgot to mention. On the cover disc this time out is a demo of the JF DC-3. It is limited to 1000 feet altitude, but is otherwise complete. I am loading it to have a play and see what it is like. I'll take it for a spin at Andras, may have to set the alitmeter to be QFE rather than QNH so fit the 1000 foot limit in!

Edit: Actually, it''s not complete,having looked at it. One livery only "Camel Caravan to Berlin" and I get the feeling the sound set is not complete, but flies well. If you go above 1000 feet the cockpit view is replaced by a black rectangle in front of you, that goes away once you descend. She handles nicely, and the cockpit has lots of functionality - a bit too clean, I thought. Once I have the readies, I think I will go for that. :D