Prologue Lars

Tyrion

Hello everybody!

I decided to do the World Tour Prologue today, and I've managed to do all 5 flights in 1 day. Because of an FSX problem, I didn't do them all in one session, although legs 2 through 5 are done in one session, and all are done in custom weather.

I didn't use real world weather, but I've recreated something like what I was seeing out of my window today: good weather, but not perfect.

Since I can't upload all pictures in one post, I'll split up both the pictures and the stories. the logbook will be in the last post.

So... Leg 1, from Andras Field to Nice.

As it's supposed to be done in a turboprop, I brought out the good old Jetstream 41 from PMDG, in my favorite livery: British Airways Landor.

As I said, I had some FSX problems. These were most noticeable in the decent and approach to Nice: some textures wouldn't load, and the ILS was way off.

Anyways, no problems during the flight, and hand-landing the things wasn't any problem either.

Very nice 1.9 hour flight without incidents.

For Leg 2, from Nice to San Nicolo we had to use a DC-3,

so I choose the Awesome 4some freeware DC-3 (upgrade for the default) since I don't have any payware version.

I experienced 2 rpm-drops along the flight, and I assume they were from trying to fly too high. Once the aircraft descended because of the power loss, it solved itself.

No problem landing on the short San Nicolo strip, so leg 2 was finished successfully after 1.8 hours.

to be continued in the next post.

...continued from above

Leg 3 took me from San Nicolo to Sion.

As a twin-engined piston pounder had to be used here, I got the RealAir Duke out of the hangar.

Absolutely no problems here, letting the autopilot do all the flying up to about 30 miles from Sion,

then hand flying it while descending and following the valleys.

I again noticed the ILS approach didn't match the runway... have to check if it's a recurring problem after I restart my pc.

nice landing (I love the landing behavior of the Duke, it really suits my flying style) and leg 3 finished in 1.4 hours.

For leg 4, from Sion to Innsbruck, I decided to do something different.

It had to be done in a jet, but instead of a Lear or anything like that, I choose the screaming VRS F/A-18E Superbug.

I didn't take the effort to close FSX to change my last load-out, so the leg was flown with heavy Air-to-ground armament and a single drop-tank under the belly.

Started the flight in a cold and dark cockpit (as usual), started it all up and got going.

since I had more than enough fuel for this short (only about 160nm) hop, I decided not to go easy here.

Took off on full afterburner, and kept the afterburner open until I hit 25000ft...

Still on afterburner, I accelerated to Mach 1.05, until the drop-tank was empty.

I dropped the empty external tank (sorry if it landed on someone's toes :P ) and slowed down to Mach 0.86, on full dry power.

Closing in to Innsbruck with still lots of internal fuel left, I relighted the afterburners and dove towards the ground, passing over Innsbruck at Mach 1.2. Guess I'll have to pay a lot of broken windows, but it was fun!

Pulled an half-cuban to bleed off speed and change direction, and landed the (still very heavy) fighter in Innsbruck after only half an hour of flying.

last leg in the next post

After letting Innsbruck hear what a sonic boom sounds like in the Super Hornet,

I had to get out of there as fast as possible, so up to leg 5: Innsbruck to Andras Field.

Since it's only a short leg, I decided to do it in my new Dodosim 206, at full difficulty of course!

I had some problems getting it up in the air, because I had anti-ice running and the high-altitude of the airport.

So, a running take-off was in order. As soon as I made some speed, I had no problem getting where I needed to go.

Some very nice flying through the mountains towards Andras Field, and good practice mastering this realistic chopper!

After little under half an hour of careful flying, navigating the mountains with little power to spare,

I reached the lake, and Andras Field.

I was cleared for a direct approach to the helipad (or so the voices in my head told me lol :D )

and I have to say, this was my very best Dodosim landing so far, one of which I'm quite proud off. (I did NOT use slew mode to put the chopper nice in the middle of the helipad!!) :D

After letting the turbine run for another 2 minutes on idle to cool down (as per the manual), I shut down the helicopter, and concluded the prologue.

These flights can be seen in the logbook as the 5 last entries.

the entire journey took 6.2 hours, of which a total of 0.5 were classified as IMC by FSX.

Doing this journey made me want to take part in the entire world tour, but I don't have FSFlying School, so I have no idea whether it's easy to use,

and it's a damn long journey, so I'm still hesitating...(please convince me!! :P )

Awsome prologue Lars. The best part - Pulling a 1/2 cuban to slow down :lol: As for not owning FSFlyingSchool, well, by completing the prologue in Im guessing what will be the fastest time out of everyone, your entitled to a copy of FSFlyingSchool. Also, if I was giving away prizes the prologue I think Id have to give you one just for have the balls to get the F18 supersonic! :lol:

As for convincing, we'd all like to have you along for the full challenge. Yes it will be hard at times, but it will be hard for all of us, its by no means a small undertaking for anyone but I plan to have many laughs along the way to make it all worth while. Plus, just imagine it you were the overall winner, how awesome it would be to have taxiway delta renamed to Lars Avenue in honour of your feat of aviation skill.

Thanks Matt... I was thinking about doing it normally: extending speedbrakes and doing a 180° turn, but that's so boring,

certainly in an awesome machine like the Superbug :rolleyes:

I'll be joining the tour,

I just hope I get my head around that FSFlyingSchool stuff...