Across the Africa in Hughes Racer

Ari Kesäniemi

Hello,

I've got something I'd like to share with you. It's my flying project I've been planning for some time and now have started to implement. While not as grand in design as round-the-world trips, this may interest you who are fond of the Hughes Racer, flying in Africa, or old-fashioned navigation.

My plan is to fly with the Hughes Racer from Alexandria to Cape Town, using only pilotage and dead reckoning. I've put together a website for documenting this: www.piloting-across-africa.info

I've currently completed two actual legs of the journey in addition to preparation flights. The next leg will be a flight from Khartoum to Malakal, but I'm struggling to find a good way to navigate there, as the White Nile is actually dry south of Khartoum. (It used to be there in FS2004, but not apparently in FSX. Anyone else noticed this?)

It will take weeks to complete the whole journey (unless I get lost to a desert or jungle unsure.gif), but drop by every now and then to check progress if you are interested, and do leave comments at the website if there's something you have in mind regarding the journey.

BR,

Ari

Oh, it seems I need to get a copy of "The Flight of the Mew Gull" by Henshaw, seems like a good read! Didn't know about him. Thanks Paul.

It was certainly good I got into trouble during the first leg, as it reminded me of how much one needs to pay attention to the task in hand. I was too eager to get to the destination and didn't take the time to plan enough and think where I was. Will not do the same mistake again!

Its a very good book Ari, and will inspire you on your travels.

Henshaw's Percival Mew Gull, G-AEXF, still flies in the UK, having been rebuilt a few times after accidents.

I notice on your website there is a link to your Round-The-World trip in a DC-3. A RTW trip is still something I want to do, and your route looks ideal. Not sure which aircraft yet though. ;)

Anyway, best of luck. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

Just to let you know I actually managed to finish with the journey (by landing at Cape Town, not crashing into a jungle or desert along the way rolleyes.gif).

I must say the journey was interesting in many aspects, and the Racer was quite a good traveling companion. It forced me to navigate with my own eyeballs and kept me alert the whole time. And boy was it fast (considering how low I was flying)!

Here's the link again: www.piloting-across-africa.info

I'll probably add some practical tips with flying the Racer and something about the flight plans for the interested readers.

Ari

• Aerosoft

Hi guys!

Just to let you know I actually managed to finish with the journey (by landing at Cape Town, not crashing into a jungle or desert along the way rolleyes.gif).

I must say the journey was interesting in many aspects, and the Racer was quite a good traveling companion. It forced me to navigate with my own eyeballs and kept me alert the whole time. And boy was it fast (considering how low I was flying)!

Here's the link again: www.piloting-across-africa.info

I'll probably add some practical tips with flying the Racer and something about the flight plans for the interested readers.

Ari

Congrats on completing the trip!

Excellent stuff, Ari. A very enjoyable read. You've made me consider getting the Hughes myself, and maybe do a circuit of FTX Australia in it !

:cheers_s:

Ari.

Thank you very much for letting us in on this great adventure. The "flying with a purpose" is always recommendable for everybody. I have spend a lot of time flying around my local airports - aimlessly, but then, luckily I got friends in the flight simming world, and we started doing planned flights, planned tours - until we did a complete Around the World tour. And that´s the ticket to keep this interest of ours alive and wonderful.

I hope you will inspire others to also do planned tours, and well it seems that you already did. Great work. smile.gif