Hilltown to Blairstown G&R

spunkee

The Hilltown - Blairstown Goal and Return Race

DiscusX required

CumulusX recomended

SimLogger sugested

A 40nm leg g&r thermal race on a late spring day.

The wind is light from the west.

The start is yaht style, 10 mins from now.

All 5 contestants are currently in the air.

You have yourself closest to the start line, it's farther away then it looks ....

Hold that left turn you are in,

i'll bet that thermal is gonna pop in about a minute .......

off to the races .........

Download from

http://www.box.net/shared/kln0jdrzvu

Sorry, I could not get in on this, due to not having the DiscusX, but sounded interesting. How has it gone? Any submissions yet?

(screenshots, or it didn't happen!) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got myself organised with the Discus and the latest version of CumulusX and had a crack at this mission. Obviously I have to improve my thermalling skills because I ended up outlanding only halfway to the first turn. Got into the first thermal ok and made it to 7000 before the start but had a devil of a job finding another thermal after that. I found the instruments a bit hard to read compared to the DG but maybe I need new glasses!

Jeff

don't feel bad, i landed out the first 2 times that i tried it

if you get the full version of cumx you will get a wing tilt when hitting lift which helps to see which side the lift is on

after i got the full version i managed to finish the race

try, try again

Had another go - my start was only at 4500 but got to 6800 but ended up outlanding 4nm from the turnpoint. I'm gradually getting the hang of the Discus but am finding it quite twitchy to fly compared to the DG (Are there no flaps or am I missing something?). I have the full version of Cumulus X but as yet haven't noticed the wing lift. Also haven't come to grips with the flight computer yet. Bottom line is I have a lot of reading and learning to do.

Jeff

I have the full version of Cumulus X but as yet haven't noticed the wing lift.

Hi Jeff,

check on the CumulusX! settings page if turbulence effects are set to anything >0. The winglift comes only if you cut the thermal at its side.

The Discus is a "Standard" glider, as such it must have a fixed wing and profile, so no flaps. The twitchyness is real. It's just the Discus that is way too spongy.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

How does CX! remember the setting of the turbulence. I can see that param in the CX! settig page, but I don't see it at the bottom of any .CMX file. And according to the helpfile it should be the bottom parameter in the .CMX files.

Bert

How does CX! remember the setting of the turbulence.

And according to the helpfile it should be the bottom parameter in the .CMX files.

It is stored in the registry along with all other settings. The reference in the manual is a mistake. Initially it was like that, but I took it away from the settings file for two reasons.

One is that there were very different opinions about the usefulness, so I didn't want a particular setting being imposed by an enforced settings file during a competition.

The second is, that the functions is not implemented in the free version, and might confuse those users.

Cheers,

Peter