Lukla X

STexan

I have the Aerosoft LuklaX scenery pack (along with their Otter DHC-6). I'm having the same issue as was mentioned in other posts regarding the large "grassy knoll" towards the end of the runway at Lukla. (His screenshot of the problem in earlier post was exactly the same as mine) Furthermore, this problem affects the indicated altitude (rate of decent) critically to the point a 20 degree nose down registers as 100 fpm decent and no altitude change ... Not sure if this is a scenery issue, an FSX issue or an airplane issue

I have mesh resolution set to 19m

If I start at Lukla I do not have the problem

If I start at Kathmandu (default FSX scenery?? Not sure how far Lukla X extends westeard towards Kathmandu), and arrive at Lukla, the problem is there. Refreshing scenery does not help (even within 5 km of Lukla, or with Lukla in sight, even)

If I save the flight and reload the flight I still have the problem.

If I close FSX, the restart FSX, then load the saved flight, then the runway/scenery is correct. (problem corrected)

I really wish Aerosoft would have extended the scenery out to Kathmandu since this is where all flight into Lukla originate and perhaps we would not have this issue?

Running FSX with Acceleration. No other scenery was ever installed.

Thanks

Kathmandu is the default fsx airport, its not covered by the Lukla scenery.As for the problem with the 'greassy knoll', i have this everytime without fail when i fly to Lukla also...so annoying! :mad:

Other posts mention to move Lukla up in the scenery library, but this didnt help me either.I too have the reccomended settings stated in the manual - still does it.

I also have a key set up for refreshing the scenery - didnt work for me either.

So the only thing i have found to work, is to (when you get close enogh to see Lukla,to see the annoying lump,making it impossible to land, or taxi to the stand) go into ''world''..'scenery library''

Dont change nothing but just press ok, and this reloads the scenery files, and makes Lukla useable again.

Many people have this problem, but no definate fix seems to have come to life as yet.

If refreshing doesn't help it might also work to go the the map window, zoom in, grab and move the airport a tiny little bit and click ok. This is another way to force the scenery to reload that might help in this case.

Best,

Sascha

I appreciate all the help. Yes, the only thing I can get to work is [when it's time] go to World ... Scenery Library ... then changing nothing and pressing OK. And a complete scenery reload is initiated. (Scenery refresh does not work)

Not good for flight saving purposes or movies, but it is what it is.

BTW, from Kathmandu, I've tried this at around 65nm from VNKT (nearing the top of the ridge) and this DID NOT WORK. I have found that one needs to wait until about half way between the northward turn down into the valley and the airport to actually load the full Everest/Lukla scenery and fix the airport issue.

It's a great challenge. Make sure to have minimal fuel to get from kathmandu to Lukla and back to Kathmandu, no more, no LESS. I'm still working out the best approach, but right now I'm trying to make my turn to final from level at 9,500 feet and about 75 kt IAS (in the twin Otter) ... anyone else have a better recommendation?

I do what you do with fuel..

When i take off from kathmandu, i climb to 13500ft (minimum), tune kathmandu VOR (112.3) and track 096° outbound for approx 70 DME.

When i get over the ridge,Left turn 002°, where im head on with a mountain and i can see the runway,decending to 10,000ft .

i get rather close to the mountain before making a final turn to 060°, making the final 700ft decent on to the runway.

I have the same problem since Lukla x came out, why not just fix it?? it's ridiculous to have to reload scenery while on flight, only addon I know of where you have to do that.. This is no minor flaw..

why not just fix it??

...because that "just" involves fixing FSX itself, not Lukla. The problem is that FSX loads sceneries differently when you approach from further away.

Bests,

Sascha

...because that "just" involves fixing FSX itself, not Lukla. The problem is that FSX loads sceneries differently when you approach from further away.

Bests,

Sascha

i never got this problem once when i was useing windows XP...only since going over to win7 i have this problem.

Whitch makes me thing its nothing to do with FSX..

i never got this problem once when i was useing windows XP...only since going over to win7 i have this problem.

Whitch makes me thing its nothing to do with FSX..

Yes, but how come you think that a scenery can change anything how FSX and Win7 load the scenery? We just don't have any influence on that with sceneries!

Anyway. I had a little idea this morning in the shower:

A flatten that forces the area down might work. I just spend a few hours on that and the problem is not solved but the file has improved the situation a bit:

Set your terrain mesh resolution to 1 meter and copy unpack attached file to your FSX\Aerosoft\Lukla - Mount Everest\Scenery\ directory. After that you won't see the mountain within the runway anymore when approaching from further away but you will still have some mesh and flickering issues around the apron that you need to consider when taxiing.

Let me know how this works for you.

Bests,

Sascha

Lukla_RunwayFlatten.zip

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much, works great now!! :D This hill in runway is gone i flew to the camp and to and from Kathmandu, excellent..

I checked this thread because I am seriously considering buying this scenery now I have an airplane that can handle the task. (Just bought the FSD Pilatus Porter). I will be running it on Windows7 64bit, FS9.1 - does the same issue happen on there and if so, will the fix above work? I have been looking at this scenery for ages wanting to try it but decided to hold off until I got my new PC - and now I'm ready! But I only want it if there are no permanent issues.

:D