If only FSX frame rate would improve.....

iPetroSS

Hello folks,

I recently bought a new PC especially for FSX, but I was dissapointed as I didn't notice any improvement on the frame rate!

I believe that it's not my PC's fault anymore, but FSX's fault.

I can't really believe that I'm always buying defective hardware, so this is out of the question for me...

Its like FSX is not really taking advantage of the hardware I'm giving it, but only uses what it WANTS to use.

f.e at KSFO (San Francisco Intl) I'm getting 2-3 frames MAX, which is unacceptable.

I'm really fed up with this frame-rate thing.

It always killed my FS experience.

Kindest regards,

Peter

what are your computer specs? If your computer doesn´t have 5 GHz, I´m not wondering.

At this time there is NO pc, which can handle fsx with all settings MAX. Use the sliders carefully and intelligent and you will be able to have the full fsx experience with great graphics. There is something between MINIMUM and MAXIMUM. Try to use it.

Of course it´s a fsx fault, but it won´t help to buy more and more hardware, sorry.

cheers

Max

Well, I don't have 5MHz!

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz

RAM: 6GB

Video Card: msi geForce N470GTX

Motherboard: ASUS P6TD Deluxe

Everything else runs smoothly, only FSX keeps failing and only FSX is what I needed to run smoothly!

You definitely have an issue going on there. I have the same specs (however, I do have my I7-930 overclocked to 4.1GHz) and I get great FPS with all sliders maxed. I also have the San Francisco scenery and it's fun to fly around.

Hm, where to start: Try deleting the FSX.cfg and letting FSX rebuild it...is this a fresh install of FSX? I think you need to provide more detail so we can dig in...what processes are also running? Full screen or windowed mode etc.

You definitely have an issue going on there. I have the same specs (however, I do have my I7-930 overclocked to 4.1GHz) and I get great FPS with all sliders maxed. I also have the San Francisco scenery and it's fun to fly around.

Hm, where to start: Try deleting the FSX.cfg and letting FSX rebuild it...is this a fresh install of FSX? I think you need to provide more detail so we can dig in...what processes are also running? Full screen or windowed mode etc.

Sure.

I don't usually have more than 50 processes running - I try to keep only the useful ones running.

Most of the times, I fly in full screen, unless I'm flying online when I use windowed mode.

Thanks for helping out! I'll try deleting the fsx.cfg file.............:rolleyes:

P.S - Are you using the default intel CPU cooler or?

Water cooling, definitely!

Coolit ECO water cooler (modified with Push/Pull fan system on the radiator)

For speeds beyond 4.2GHz, I think I would need to use a much more expensive water cooling system...

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello folks,

I recently bought a new PC especially for FSX, but I was dissapointed as I didn't notice any improvement on the frame rate!

I believe that it's not my PC's fault anymore, but FSX's fault.

I can't really believe that I'm always buying defective hardware, so this is out of the question for me...

Its like FSX is not really taking advantage of the hardware I'm giving it, but only uses what it WANTS to use.

f.e at KSFO (San Francisco Intl) I'm getting 2-3 frames MAX, which is unacceptable.

I'm really fed up with this frame-rate thing.

It always killed my FS experience.

Kindest regards,

Peter

Peter, visit this site! And if you still have problems after following Nick's suggestions (and please follow them and forget your own ideas ;) ), then it's time for looking something other then FSX :D

This is unbelievable!

I realized that what was causing this huge frame loss was AI traffic & Airport vehicles!!

If I don't use them (or use low traffic settings) I get high frames like 15+ in KSFO that I was getting 3-4 before!

I'm thinking of replacing the dafault AI models with low-res models so that I have both traffic and frames.

Thanks a lot for the help :rolleyes:

Yes I have also noticed that AI vehicles can kill the frames so I have disabled mine completely.

On the other hand I have Scenery=Very Dense, Autogen=Dense with no problems. In fact there is a tweak to increase the building & tree count in a cell and I get good FPS even with those enabled. Its under [TERRAIN] in the fsx.cfg

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500        \\default is 4500 max is 6000

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000    \\ default is 3000 max is 6000

But another thing that kills the frames for me are clouds. So no clouds & no AI vehicles=happy FSX for me   :rolleyes: