we need a C-47/DC-3

pilottj

Hey folks

I was looking at Airliners.net and saw this beautiful picture of a C-47, still doing what a Skytrain does best. And I was thinking how could such a famous plane be missing from FSX, at least a high quality one. I know MAAM had theirs for FS9, and I don't know if they plan on redoing it for FSX but perhaps if Aersoft has some room on their plates down the road they would consider giving the C-47 the same beautiful treatment they gave the PBY. I know there is a default one but that didn't stop Aerosoft from making a much better Beaver even tho there is a default one.

Cheers

TJ

http://www.airliners...rain/1697422/L/

Hey folks

I was looking at Airliners.net and saw this beautiful picture of a C-47, still doing what a Skytrain does best. And I was thinking how could such a famous plane be missing from FSX, at least a high quality one. I know MAAM had theirs for FS9, and I don't know if they plan on redoing it for FSX but perhaps if Aersoft has some room on their plates down the road they would consider giving the C-47 the same beautiful treatment they gave the PBY. I know there is a default one but that didn't stop Aerosoft from making a much better Beaver even tho there is a default one.

Cheers

TJ

http://www.airliners...rain/1697422/L/

I believe that we, as flight simulation enthusiasts, should 'preserve' the iconic aircraft of the past, in a virtual realm, and do so in a faithful high definition manner. As these old aircraft disappear younger generations will miss out on something of what it was like to sit in the cockpit/flight deck of such machines. Yes we can use the default versions where they are supplied but these, and unfortunately some separate payware products, often don't do the orginals justice, making the experience a poor one. I realise that not all such old icons can be produced for us but the DC3 and variants is really one of those aircraft that has been a pillar of aviation for so long. I also believe that we should all be prepared to dig into our wallets to pay the developers of these products their worth for the extra work they do to produce such recreations. That way we all win. We are at a turning point now, I believe, where we should always look to, an expect, better representations, and be prepared to pay for them. The days of poor VCs and flight dynamics should be slipping into history: let's have a very good DC3!

John G

• Upvote 1

I believe that we, as flight simulation enthusiasts, should 'preserve' the iconic aircraft of the past, in a virtual realm, and do so in a faithful high definition manner. As these old aircraft disappear younger generations will miss out on something of what it was like to sit in the cockpit/flight deck of such machines. Yes we can use the default versions where they are supplied but these, and unfortunately some separate payware products, often don't do the orginals justice, making the experience a poor one. I realise that not all such old icons can be produced for us but the DC3 and variants is really one of those aircraft that has been a pillar of aviation for so long. I also believe that we should all be prepared to dig into our wallets to pay the developers of these products their worth for the extra work they do to produce such recreations. That way we all win. We are at a turning point now, I believe, where we should always look to, an expect, better representations, and be prepared to pay for them. The days of poor VCs and flight dynamics should be slipping into history: let's have a very good DC3!

John G

Agree, and if MAAM-Sim can't produce a native FSX model DC-3/R4D-6 in this, the 75th Anniversary of the first flight of the DC-3, and with a special commemoration planned for Oshkosh, then frankly they've given up their rights to the `spot` and somebody else needs to step up to the plate.

...MAAM never did get that engine that the original donationware was supposed to provide for the R4D-6...

• Upvote 1

Aye, I would gladly pay MAAM, A2A, RealAir, Aerosoft, anyone who does a C-47 to the high quality we have seen from these developers. One reason I thought of Aerosoft first was because of their experience with the PBY. As much as I love accusim on the P-47, it is so complex that it doesnt work to share the cockpit with your mates. And like the PBY, the C-47 would be an experience to share with a copilot or passengers. The PBY has very nicely done realistic radial engine managment...ie you can take off while your buddy watches the carb temps...etc. Also the PBY shares the same engines as the C-47 so much of that engine programming is already done. Anyway, I know all the developers have lots of great projects on their plates but I hope one of them can see adding a Gooneybird to their list.

Cheers

TJ

Pilottj, there is an upgrade for the default FSX DC-3 available at Flightsim.com. Here's the link..

http://flightsim.com....php?fid=112529

You have to be registered there, but that doesn't take long, and its free of course.

I have to admit I've yet to install it myself, but there is a thread on the subject at Sim Outhouse and all seem agreed its a very worthwhile download. Have a read...

http://www.sim-outho...ead.php?t=34803

It could help fill that Dakota-shaped hole in your life. ;)

Here is the post I made on 15th February on the suggest a project forum.

How about a nice DC3 for FSX with a really detailed VC and accurate systems? Now I know they guys at MAAMSIM produced a great DC3 and I am a proud owner of that aircraft. But by todays standards it is getting a bit long in the tooth now and it would be great so see a new version built from the ground up using the latest techniques FSX makes possible.

Perhaps even some sort of collaboration with MAAMSIM as they have lots of info they could provide? I'm sure they would be willing to help in return for a small royalty? Then everyone would be a winner.

I have since learned that MAAMsim dont even intend to start any dedicated FSX DC3 until late summer 2010 at the earliest so I agree with Snave that someone else should step up and produce one.

We are working hard to try to convince A2A to do an Accu-simmed Gooney, but given the timescales the place to start might well be with the Cat developers.

It really is astonishing such an anniversary is going to pass without anyone making one for FS. Probably see Abacus throw one out in a week just to fill the void, and that really would be a shame...

The real plus to Gooneying is the sheer depth and breadth of variants possible. This could give rise to good addon sales opportunities, as I for one would pay good money for a radial Gooney now, and a Turbine Basler later.

• 4 months later...

Agree, and if MAAM-Sim can't produce a native FSX model DC-3/R4D-6 in this, the 75th Anniversary of the first flight of the DC-3, and with a special commemoration planned for Oshkosh, then frankly they've given up their rights to the `spot` and somebody else needs to step up to the plate.

...MAAM never did get that engine that the original donationware was supposed to provide for the R4D-6...

Me bloody oath! If it ain't my old mate Simon Evans! How are you doing nowadays? I turned 65 earlier this month, and now I am enjoying the leisurely life of a "senior citizen", having officially gained the right to do nothing and still be able to say to my wife: "Don't wory love, the money is coming in anyway" (wide and wicked grin)!

Yes, sadly the engine for the R4D never materialized...

If A2A makes a DC3 I'll buy it the very moment it becomes available!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

Me bloody oath! If it ain't my old mate Simon Evans! How are you doing nowadays? I turned 65 earlier this month, and now I am enjoying the leisurely life of a "senior citizen", having officially gained the right to do nothing and still be able to say to my wife: "Don't wory love, the money is coming in anyway" (wide and wicked grin)!

Yes, sadly the engine for the R4D never materialized...

If A2A makes a DC3 I'll buy it the very moment it becomes available!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

Holy crapola! Jaap, you ain't dead yet! Don't forget the other benefit of old age - to be able to perpetually moan about the `youth of today` and how "it wasn't like that in my day!" :lol:

Does it seem like deja vu to you? Us discussing the absence of actual moneys being donated to MAAM for the actual purchase of the actual engines the original FS2002 project was set up for..? ^_^

Still, MAAM-Sim seem to be `retired` these days too! Still nothing for that `new fangled FSX thingy` even though the thingy has been around for nearly half a decade and the Black Widow has been `in production` for longer than the real one took to develop, produce, fight its war and retire to the leafy glades of fire spotting...

You know your getting old when it takes all night to do what you used to do all night! :o

• 2 weeks later...

MAAM has just come up with an FSX installer for their ported version. I am going to give it a try.

Bump

Just don't get caught up in the hype.

This is nothing more than an installer containing the summary of fixes for the FS9 model to make it usable in FSX, and is not an FSX-compliant model, there are no new features or files - and they never did satisfactorily resolve all the issues of the portover so the issues remain. Issues about which their forum has remained silent these many many months.

So prepare to be disappointed, but we'll be interested in your thoughts once you've tried it.

Hopefully the Just Flight package will be along soon.

Just don't get caught up in the hype.

This is nothing more than an installer containing the summary of fixes for the FS9 model to make it usable in FSX, and is not an FSX-compliant model, there are no new features or files - and they never did satisfactorily resolve all the issues of the portover so the issues remain. Issues about which their forum has remained silent these many many months.

So prepare to be disappointed, but we'll be interested in your thoughts once you've tried it.

Hopefully the Just Flight package will be along soon.

Actually, since I already had some of the patches, which were not particularly satisfactory, I was actually quite pleased with the new installer which got rid of the alerts and bugs I had been getting with the patched installation.

On the other hand, I was hoping for more, so in that respect I was disappointed. This said, it is still better than the default, even with the Awesom 4some mods, though not much... :wacko:

SW

Thanks for your thoughts, It kinda fits exactly where I thought it might. Are Maam-Sim still active? I know they've been bandying about a nice FSX-native biplane, but frankly it's not for me. Where da Widda and da Dak at..?

There has been no comment on the Black Widow. Lets hope the real one doesn't need an engine... :rolleyes: