becoming a pilot

Gaura Mohana

Hi guys

While flying yesterday i requested to see the cockpit, where i met 2 really nice pilots. The F/O suggested that i go and get my license in Miami (he said he graduated there, and it took him 6 months to get a ATP and everything)

I do have around around 2-3 years until i finish High-School, so i probably wont do anything till then.

so do you guys have any advice? or any idea how much money i would need to get atleast a PPL?

do i need to get exceptional grades in any specific grades?

Thanks in advance..

Currently around US$40-50,000 for an ATPL frozen, about US$9-15,000 for a basic PPL these days - possibly less if you can actually do it in the minimum 40 hours and pass the ground tests first time.

But costs vary - as do entry requirements to the USA to actually train. Check the Security requirements for your country of origin. There may be many additional costs and hoops to jump through to train in the USA coming from India. It may not even be possible in the current security climate.

Lucky you, you would not be allowed anywhere near the cockpit in the USA or Europe. Locked, bulletproof doors are mandated. In fact in the USA there are Air Marshals with guns on board many flights specifically to shoot people who try to...

Perhaps it might be better to train in your own country?

Hi! I hope I can give you some useful information because I have been researching a lot into this subject because I want to become a pilot as well. I think I'm about your age, maybe a few years older.

First of all, I live in Europe, so I'm talking about Europe :P. I had (and still have) the opportunity to start an integrated ATPL course. This is what you need to become a pilot. But unfortunately the labor market for pilots (especially ab inito pilots) really sucks now because of the financial crisis. I have pilots in my family and they know what they are talking about. So I didn't do it YET. Instead I'm starting to study Aerospace Engineering at university this September waiting for better times. And my hobby is gliding so I can keep myself busy :P. I don't know about the situation in the USA but it is probably equally bad.

If you want to get a PPL prior to your commercial pilot training, only do it if you're having fun doing it. It is no huge financial benefit because many integrated ATPL courses have a PLL in it, it is the first thing you do in such a course. The only benefit I can think off would be that it proves your motivation to your future employer and of course if you want to get your licence in modules.

Also pick a good (but not too expensive, unless you're rich) flight school, because, at least in my country, the reputation of the flight school is important.

University degrees or any other education are not required as far as I know but I would highly recommend it because:

1. You have a back-up in case your plans don't work out. For example you take a loan of 100.000$ to finance your pilot training, but in case you don't find a job, you can always use your backup education to get a well paid job anyways. Getting a loan is easy but paying it back is not. Only if you are very rich you don't have to worry about this :P Also if you ever get to use your job as a pilot (medical reasons for example), you have something to fall back on.

2. A degree increases your value for an employer. Remember that you won't be the only one applying for a job as a pilot at an airline.

Also consider where you would like to work in the future, because in the US you need a different licence than in the EU.

I hope I could tell you some interesting things, please correct me if I was wrong somewhere. I also hope I didn't demotivated you but it is as it is. But the good thing is that you still have enough time because you said you still have some years of high school to go.

Gaura,

Look, just simply get a "Sports Pilot" license. Your total cost in the US will be under $4000 and you can fly airplanes in no time.

A Sports Pilot license does have restrictions, but you can learn more about that here:

http://www.sportpilot.org/index.html

This is the way to go for a young pilot such as yourself, who probably wants a recreational hobby.

Gaura,

Look, just simply get a "Sports Pilot" license. Your total cost in the US will be under $4000 and you can fly airplanes in no time.

A Sports Pilot license does have restrictions, but you can learn more about that here:

http://www.sportpilot.org/index.html

This is the way to go for a young pilot such as yourself, who probably wants a recreational hobby.

And the Sport Pilot License is recognised in India?

It's simple to offer advice, but smarter to THINK before you do so...

LSA/Sport Pilot has yet to establish cross-border equivalence with most European standards, much less the Middle East and Asian continents. Do you even know the LIMITATIONS of an SP license..?

I have no idea whether there is an equivalent license recognised in Gaura's country, but if there isn't, the nearest equivalent would be an Ultralight license, which I believe DOES offer equivalency. The rule of thumb in most countries is to step DOWN to the nearest equivalent to the overseas qualification, unless there is officially-approved equivalency.

But it's pointless to travel tens of thousands of km's to get an ultralight license.

Listen to awesome, Gaura, there is sound advice there.

Simon, you must mean like when you offered the following advice to this poster to defrag his Intel SSD???

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=32805

Quote: "The solution is PROPER defragmentation of the FS hard drive"... :blink:

I guess we ALL need to think before we post, eh? LOL, at least my advice wouldn't ruin expensive hardware! I only read he might get his license in Miami, I didn't peruse his profile to see his native country.

But hey Simon - if it makes you somehow feel mentally superior with your repeated attacks and paltry diatrabes on others regarding simple posts in flight sim forums, then by all means continue to stroke your own ego and fire away. It's obvious you're making up for something lacking, and if it gets you through the day...

• Upvote 4

Currently around US$40-50,000 for an ATPL frozen, about US$9-15,000 for a basicPPL these days - possibly less if you can actually do it in the minimum 40hours and pass the ground tests first time.

But costs vary - as do entry requirements to the USA to actually train. Checkthe Security requirements for your country of origin. There may be manyadditional costs and hoops to jump through to train in the USA coming fromIndia. It may not even be possible in the current security climate.

Lucky you, you would not be allowed anywhere near the cockpit in the USA orEurope. Locked, bulletproof doors are mandated. In fact in the USA there areAir Marshals with guns on board many flights specifically to shoot people whotry to...

Perhaps it might be better to train in your own country?

The piloti met told me that it is much harder, and around twice more expensive to get alicense in India.

However iwas born in the US (And I am a US citizen) so i should not have anySecurity/Visa problems.

Thanksfor the advice :D

Hi! I hope I can give you some useful information because I have beenresearching a lot into this subject because I want to become a pilot as well. Ithink I'm about your age, maybe a few years older.

First of all, I live in Europe, so I'm talking about Europe . I had (and still have)the opportunity to start an integrated ATPL course. This is what you need tobecome a pilot. But unfortunately the labor market for pilots (especially abinito pilots) really sucks now because of the financial crisis. I have pilotsin my family and they know what they are talking about. So I didn't do it YET.Instead I'm starting to study Aerospace Engineering at university thisSeptember waiting for better times. And my hobby is gliding so I can keepmyself busy . I don't know about thesituation in the USA but it is probably equally bad.

If you want to get a PPL prior to your commercial pilot training, only do it ifyou're having fun doing it. It is no huge financial benefit because manyintegrated ATPL courses have a PLL in it, it is the first thing you do in sucha course. The only benefit I can think off would be that it proves yourmotivation to your future employer and of course if you want to get yourlicence in modules.

Also pick a good (but not too expensive, unless you're rich) flight school,because, at least in my country, the reputation of the flight school isimportant.

University degrees or any other education are not required as far as I know butI would highly recommend it because:

1. You have a back-up in case your plans don't work out. For example you take aloan of 100.000$ to finance your pilot training, but in case you don't find ajob, you can always use your backup education to get a well paid job anyways.Getting a loan is easy but paying it back is not. Only if you are very rich youdon't have to worry about this Also if you ever get touse your job as a pilot (medical reasons for example), you have something tofall back on.

2. A degree increases your value for an employer. Remember that you won't bethe only one applying for a job as a pilot at an airline.

Also consider where you would like to work in the future, because in the US youneed a different licence than in the EU.

I hope I could tell you some interesting things, please correct me if I waswrong somewhere. I also hope I didn't demotivated you but it is as it is. Butthe good thing is that you still have enough time because you said you stillhave some years of high school to go.

i have always wanted to be arecreational pilot, but i also wanted to be able to apply for a pilot job if iwanted to (being a pilot is sort of a career option for me. i hope i don’t haveto choose it, as i want to be able to stay with my family.

I am not that rich, or anything close to there, so money will be afactor.

I plane to study in the US (if I do at all) and then come and fly inindia (If I decide to become a commercial pilot). (from what I heard pilots inthe US are paid almost nothing)

And the Sport Pilot License is recognised in India?

LSA/Sport Pilot has yet to establish cross-border equivalence with mostEuropean standards, much less the Middle East and Asian continents. Do you evenknow the LIMITATIONS of an SP license..?

I have no idea whether there is an equivalent license recognised in Gaura'scountry, but if there isn't, the nearest equivalent would be an Ultralightlicense, which I believe DOES offer equivalency. The rule of thumb in mostcountries is to step DOWN to the nearest equivalent to the overseasqualification, unless there is officially-approved equivalency.

But it's pointless to travel tens of thousands of km's to get an ultralightlicense.

Listen to awesome, Gaura, there is sound advice there.

Sure thing….

I woudnt be able to fly anything but a ultralight with a sports license?

However iwas born in the US (And I am a US citizen) so i should not have anySecurity/Visa problems.

I plane to study in the US (if I do at all) and then come and fly inindia (If I decide to become a commercial pilot). (from what I heard pilots inthe US are paid almost nothing)

I woudnt be able to fly anything but a ultralight with a sports license?

Actually, with a Sport's Pilot license you can fly many single engine airplanes, check out the link I posted...it might be a good place for you to start, and if you like it then you can further your certification!