London VFR

Geier

Hello.

I have installed this product , it works excellent, but there're sone issues. The very scenery of London is highly detailed but I see the ugly photo layer square around London without any autogen. and of course the border of default/photo is strong and not good. From 10k feet it's ok but vfr flight has more requirements. So my question is - I've tried to uninstall this square but all scene had faults as a result. Have I any chance to install London VFR without this photosquare?

Geier, as you have bought London VFR, it might be a good idea to also buy some photo scenery to surround it. I have Horizon Simulations GenX Version 2.0 covering southern England and South Wales. If you look at the picture below, you can see how VFR London on the right blends into GenX photo scenery on the left. Very nice, I think !

londonvfr.jpg

Here's a link...Horizon Sim

Hope Aerosoft don't mind me mentioning a commercial product on this website.

You also have the option of removing the photoscenery layers and showing the underlying landclass scenery instead. With UTX EU installed this is quite effective and everything lines up well. It does involve removing one or two files from the VFR London directory but its quite straight forward. Let me know if you want to do this and I'll describe it for you.

I don't know why many people say that reducing the area of photoscenery can't be done.

It can be done perfectly well with blend masks.

The photoscenery area for VFR London should stop where the autogen stops. A blend mask can be used to do this. I have done it myself when creating my photoreefs package for my freeware carribean sceneries.

I did ask this on the Horizon forums a while ago, but all I got were the usual "buy the rest of our photoscenery" answer.

The photoscenery for the outer area of London in VFR London is of a very poor quality with no effort at all to colour match or to hide the joins between the photos.. It simply isn't good enough for payware IMO and had I been aware of it at the time of purchase I may have reconsidered.

Photoscenery fans don't seem to realise that there are lots of people out there who don't like photoscenery. Just fly in VFR London when the real world weather is supposed to be snowing! However with UTX EU and now GEX EU you can get all the VFR London buildings sitting nicely on landclass scenery. With no photoscenery. It would have been nice to get the high res layer for the centre of London only - but as everyone keeps saying "it can't be done"...

Wow, you have the point. I agree with you. Can you dexcribe how to disable photolayer withoutn any artefacts, please?

Yes please, I'd be inerested, too. :)

Edit: gave it a try and removed the following 2 files from the scenery folder in the London scenery directory:

cvxLONDONX4QMIDS2.BGL

exxLONDONX4QMIDS2.BGL

I am still able to activate and de-activate the photoscenery (2,4m - haven't installed the high res) in the scenery library.

This is what I get: ups sorry wasn't able to upload the image

Hi,

From memory, yes you remove (or simply rename the file extension) both of those files:

cvxLONDONX4QMIDS2.BGL

exxLONDONX4QMIDS2.BGL

Also make sure you disable ALL VFR London photoscenery layers in the scenery library.

There is also a work around to get the scenery to show less objects at the higher scenery density settings. My system has a hard time with VFR London at a scenery complexity of High - but this is fine for the rest of the world. Rather than change the setting, you can go into the VFR London folder and delete (or rename) various scenery files so only the sparse or very sparse ones appear. As the scenery is split up into areas it means you can have dense scenery for central London and then have less (or even remove completely) any VFR London models for the outskirts of London.

As I said its a shame that Horizon aren't more understanding with non-photoscenery users. As soon as I started mentioning this stuff on their forum I got attacked. The photoscenery layers could easily be stopped nearer central London using a blend mask.