almost no autogen in Germany VFR v3 (South)

etien

Hello; I bought saturday at the mondial of simulation in "Le Bourget" France Germany VFR v3 (South). Was nice to meet the team. Seen a demo from the boss of rise of flight and Mathijs doing some cool gliding in the swiss alps which was cool.

Installed this morning with no apparent problem and made a trial flight from Fredrichshafen. I was disapointed to see very little autogen. A bunch of trees from place to place, a couple of flat square factories, some rare VFR special items, but no houses whatsoever on top of villages.

Same thing for Munich center. I can see the unique items, the center of town blocks, the factories but no houses. Is this normal? Or does something is falling from my autogen?

If this is normal, this is a bit disapointing compared to swiss pro fsx and/or the France vfr products. If not what could have gone wrong ? (Could the houses in the autogen be blocked by swiss pro fx? and/or north alp france vfr ?)

Etienne

Thanks Shaun,

I really wonder what can be wrong. I have litterally tons of scenary which all works fine and I am quite litterate in FSX.

(I am a very good client of aerosoft, fly tampa and France VFR, ...).

I am under DX10 but I dont think this should be an issue.

For example Swiss Pro FSX runs smoothly in my setup as well as Majjorca FSX and Fly tampa grenadines.

Is there something to do or not to do with the following variables?

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL =5000

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL = 5000

Any suggestions welcome, this is frustrating.

Hi!

All the objects that are missing are new objects from a file called default.xml in your FSX\Autogen folder. Could it be possible that you don't have this file at all (some tools just deactivate it) or that it has been corrupted by another addon? (ORBX?)

Bests,

Sascha

Thanks Sasa and Shaun for trying to help.

You are probably right, but this is not helping.

In my "Autogen" directories I have some files "before VFR Germany 3 install" (so VFR Germany is toying with those files?)

and some "Before Fly Tampa Grenadines.." (some peeps are complaining on the fly tampa site that they touch the files..)

I guess the changes made my Fly Tampa Grenadines are not anticipated by the install of VFR Germany 3, therefore the issue...

mind emailling me the content of your Autogen directory Sasa? so I can have a clean setup. (At least the Autogen.xml one, or pasting the lines you are changing (cf what fly tampa is doing)

http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3877

I can see that fly tampa also touched AutogenDescriptions.spb... Whatever it is...

Etienne

Hi Sascha,

Martin from Fly tampa looked at a dump of my Autogen folder and did not see any issue from its side. He also spotted some non default FSX entries not from their side ('XP European Apt. corner gray 5c 14.5 x 20.3').

Mind doing quickly the same exercise? Something is clearly missing in one of those file and this is frustrating.

Etienne

Hi Etienne,

Let me ask Martin for a copy of his nice product to see what could cause the problem. I'll come back to you then.

Bests,

Sascha

Just tried it here and didn't find anything wrong neither in the VFR Germany nor the FlyTampa installer. No idea how those VFR Germany entries got deleted on your system.

Just open the file default.xml in your FSX\Autogen folder with a text editor and copy in the lines from attached file unter <CODE>A</CODE> manually. That will solve your problem.

Bests,

Sascha

defaultAdd.zip

Thanks alot Sascha for coming back to me. :)

Did what you said... did not solve the problem :fallingbricks_s: still getting the vfr unique building, some sparse trees and the block buildings. (Swiss pro chx is fine as well as fly tampa)

Really wonder what can go wrong there :unsure:

Attaching my autogen file (including the inserted lines), ....

Any other files what would need editing?

default.xml

Hi Sascha.

First let me reiterate how much I appreciate your support.

Still trying hard... Having VFR Germany 3 installing properly is of high importance to me because :

(1) It looks cool (at least on picture),

(2) It is continous to Swiss Pro CHX that I like a lot, and will touch to the announced France VFR Alsace where I come from,

(3) I was seriously planning to buy 1,2 and 4,

(4) France VFR has anounced specific autogen for their future regions, so I suspect they are going to do something simliar.

Also I have more than FSX 50 paywares installed (at the moment 'unchecked' to avoid potential conflict), a MS in computer science, I have developped a couple of small addons for fsx (small vfr buildings in France) and I build a full fledge cessna 180 cocpkit at home on a networked solution, so I think I have some understanding of what is going on.

I tried to desinstall and reinstall.

Similar issue at the end. Got photoreal ground picture, mesh, vfr buildings, airports, some square building and some trees. I think I am missing 90% of the autogen. As soon as I reach Switzerland the autogen is up (max/max) :hanged_s:

Noticed that when the install setup package says "updating autogen" or something similar, the Autogen.xml wasnt even affected!

Added the lines you suggested into autogen.xml after <CODE>A</CODE> , did not change anything.

I wonder if that the fact that fly tampa has changed the format of the file has anything to do with that. (Eventhough I doubt so as I have even tried to take the default autogen.xml before any twicking by anyone, adding the lines, and still no succes)

martin[flytampa]

Site Admin

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 am Post subject: icon_quote.gif Most Addons I think simply add content to the default.xml. Add content meaning new custom Autogen entries so we don't have to pick from the default trees etc but can insert out own models.

Normally the process is not to delete or modify default.xml's content, but to add to it (growing filesize overtime). In the case of FTX I assume they need 2 versions of the default.xml and the user skips between the 2 when switching FTX mode.

In this case (with FTX's 2 default.xmls), Addons like ours will add to the currently active default.xml, but not the other copy that FTX has. It maybe possible to run our Autogen Editor on both xmls, by switching FTX mode and running the Autogen Editor once in each mode. Not sure if this works tho.

About the file-size. By default FSX has this file encoded UFT16, some addons however leave it in UFT8 mode after adding their content. Initially I didn't know this and assumed everyone has it in UFT16, which caused the problems leading to this updated Autogen Editor. The new version now does convert it to UFT8 like many others.

UFT8 results in a smaller file size, so its not content that got lost, rather just a change in "encoding". You can check this by loading the default.xml in Notepad, then click Save As... and within the File Dialog look at the bottom Encoding Pulldown. For some people it will be ANSI, for others UFT8.

Next post I will paste the content which is added to default.xml by the Grenadines Installer. It should start right below the <Code>R</Code> line...

Anyway adding the lines manually you suggested did not do the trick, so I wonder if another file may be 'lost' or 'non installed', [wouldnot be impossible as for example, at my first install of Germany VFR 3, an effect folder, with an effect file was created in the D: drive (where the scenery was installed) rather than the c: drive where the FSX/Effect files are situated. This is why I tried a reinstall, this time with everything on the c: drive. Did not help. :beatcomputer_s:

All those new autogen buildings (that I am missing.. :(), in which default .blg should I find them ? and where should it be?

Etienne, " we will prevail " :comp1_s:

Fixed it.... :dancing_s:

1) installed FSX on a 'clean pc'

2) installed without pbs vfr germany south

3) copied the autogen.xml on my main pc. (my autogen.xml reduced by two third !) after backing up the faulty autogen.xml

4) checked that swiss pro fsx and vfr germany south worked fine

5) without surprises fly tampa scene was screwed up

6) copied the "ft" entires in <CODE>K from the backup

7) now both scenes works

so u were right the autogen file was the key.:clap_s:

Etienne

2) installed without pbs vfr germany south

3) copied the autogen.xml on my main pc. (my autogen.xml reduced by two third !) after backing up the faulty autogen.xml

4) checked that swiss pro fsx and vfr germany south worked fine

Hmm... just trying to understand this: At 2) you mention that you haven't installed VFR Germany (what does pbs mean?) and and 4) you mention that it works fine. How is that possible if it hasn't been installed? :wacko:

Bests,

Sascha

2) installed without pbs vfr germany south = installed without issues (problems) on the 'clean pc'

4) never desinstallted vfr germany from my normal pc, just overwrotte the autogen.xml with the one from the 'clean pc'

That fixed it.

Had to copy / paste the pieces of beskope autogen from madeira, fly tampa etc.

I still think fly tampa installation package is "funy" as it changes the encoding of autogen.xml and that is making the installation of vfr germany on top of it just impossible.

Luv your scene btw, thx again for helping me, learned a lot about FSX autogen recently!

Really strange, but thank you very much for not giving up on this one!

At the moment I don't understand what could have gone wrong but if we see the same problem with other users we'll have to have a closer look at it again.

Bests,

Sascha

• 1 year later...

Had the same problem with VFR Germany South and Flytampa Grenadines.

First installd Germany VFR followed by grenadines. Autogen on Grenadines was only visible at Airports - everythin else was missing.

I solved it by taking the default.xml(before_FlyTampa_Grenadines) and renaming it to default.xm (Backup original default.xml).

Than opening the file with a freeware XML editor and reencoding/saving as Unicode-16.

After that I startet Fly-Grenadines_FSX_AutogenEditor.exe and... everything was solved.

Tried this because all backuped files were UTF-16 exept the default.xml after installing Germany VFR south.

This was the only file encoded in UTF-8.

Seems Flytampa Grenadines cant handle with UTF-8 encoded XML file.

Hope this will help others

Kind Regards